Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Studying fees for a non-resident = too expensive!

Studying fees for a non-resident = too expensive!

Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all
Default Re: Studying fees for a non-resident = too expensive!

Originally Posted by Bob
Part of the F1 conditions states that you won't be doing any work in the first semester...
I am not aware of this being a condition of an F-1 visa, though some schools apparently may not permit work during the first semester, but that is a school rule not an immigration one.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 4:44 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Part of the F1 conditions states that you won't be doing any work in the first semester...
I work in our university's international education office, and F-1 students are limited to working 10 hours/week on-campus until they've completed their the first semester. Once they've passed the first semester, they can work 20 hours/week. I don't know if that's an F-1 regulation or just our own university policy, but I'm guessing that it's the latter or else it wouldn't conflict with what you're saying.

~ Jenney
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I work in our university's international education office, and F-1 students are limited to working 10 hours/week on-campus until they've completed their the first semester. Once they've passed the first semester, they can work 20 hours/week. I don't know if that's an F-1 regulation or just our own university policy, but I'm guessing that it's the latter or else it wouldn't conflict with what you're saying.

~ Jenney
Must have changed a few years ago then to allow the 10 hours, as everyone I knew that did the exchange with San Fran had to show they had access to at least $10K in cash to cover the first semester as they weren't allowed to work till the second semester.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
Must have changed a few years ago then to allow the 10 hours, as everyone I knew that did the exchange with San Fran had to show they had access to at least $10K in cash to cover the first semester as they weren't allowed to work till the second semester.
That must have been the deal with the San Fran school, but doesn't apply to all schools. The one I went to allowed me to work the full 20 hrs in my first semester.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 11:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
That must have been the deal with the San Fran school, but doesn't apply to all schools. The one I went to allowed me to work the full 20 hrs in my first semester.
The school didn't have a problem with anyone working, it was the consulate that had the issue, show the readies or no visa was their stance.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:23 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The school didn't have a problem with anyone working, it was the consulate that had the issue, show the readies or no visa was their stance.
Working while in the US and certifying one's finances are two different things. Just because a student meets the financial requirements doesn't mean they might not want to work for some extra cash. Especially since it's almost always Mom and Dad's money that's meeting the financial requirement.

~ Jenney
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:52 am
Just Joined

jenbug is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi – very interested to read all your responses.

I’ve made the decision to do a couple of courses at a local liberal arts college for the time-being. There are just too many variable factors to make a decision at the moment. However, hopefully in a month’s time we’ll know if we’re staying or not.

If yes, I’m going to pursue the possibility of starting a Masters (arts) in the Spring semester on a Graduate or Teaching Assistantship option (as suggested by The English Bride – thanks!). This will involve changing my visa and a whole lot of other headache I’m sure! Otherwise it seems to be so prohibitively expensive I think I’d have to abandon the idea.

Interesting, my boyfriend asked another English couple that we know here how it is that they pay resident’s rather than non-resident’s fees. They told him that they just registered through General Admissions, rather than International Admissions, and the question of residency never came up. I haven’t had the chance to grill them further on this yet but I will do!