Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Missing the USA, might return

Missing the USA, might return

Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

coral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nice
Default Missing the USA, might return

Hi,

I'm living in the UK after living in the states for 8+ years. I met my husband and went to live in the USa with him in 1999. We got married in 2000 and have 2 children together aged 7 and 4.
To cut a very long story short my husband worked for verizon in NJ for 13 years but due to medical problems couldn't do his job function and decided to take a buy out while he could. That was March 2007. He had to have a hip replacement at age 32 in September 2007 and possibly will need the other hip done. I missed my family and we decided it would be a now or never thing to come here and try it out. We got here April this year. My hubby is better medically but not perfect but would like a job with a similar role he had in the US telephone cabling/ technician. Applied to multiple places but no luck so far.(he has a spouse visa so has rights to work here). He had a interview with sky tv and passed but waiting to hear if they have positions in our area. (8 weeks later no joy) I'm really nervous and worried as our savings are almost gone! I miss the US but not NJ in particular even though my in-laws are there!

My hubby has a brother in the Atlanta area and I've been there once in 2000. I was just thinking that if we need to return to the US as it might be easier for my hubby to get a job there. I've been reading posts on here and a lot of people say Alpharetta and marietta are nice and affordable. One reason I would not want to return to NJ is it was too expensive there.
Anyone in these areas think it would be a good place to live with to young kids? This is just an idea we are playing with but I do feel that within a year we will ant to head back stateside I prefer it there!

Thanks for any info and reading my long winded post!!

Louise
Old Aug 11th 2008, 5:30 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing the USA, might return

Hey,

what kinds of things are you looking for?? I live here but have no kids so I prob wont be actually that much help
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

What's your US status?

I'm assuming at least greencard, but did you get citizenship?

If not citizenship, did you get a re-entry permit?
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Could you try somewhere else in the UK?
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

pippermint is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coral11680
Hi,

I'm living in the UK after living in the states for 8+ years. I met my husband and went to live in the USa with him in 1999. We got married in 2000 and have 2 children together aged 7 and 4.
To cut a very long story short my husband worked for verizon in NJ for 13 years but due to medical problems couldn't do his job function and decided to take a buy out while he could. That was March 2007. He had to have a hip replacement at age 32 in September 2007 and possibly will need the other hip done. I missed my family and we decided it would be a now or never thing to come here and try it out. We got here April this year. My hubby is better medically but not perfect but would like a job with a similar role he had in the US telephone cabling/ technician. Applied to multiple places but no luck so far.(he has a spouse visa so has rights to work here). He had a interview with sky tv and passed but waiting to hear if they have positions in our area. (8 weeks later no joy) I'm really nervous and worried as our savings are almost gone! I miss the US but not NJ in particular even though my in-laws are there!

My hubby has a brother in the Atlanta area and I've been there once in 2000. I was just thinking that if we need to return to the US as it might be easier for my hubby to get a job there. I've been reading posts on here and a lot of people say Alpharetta and marietta are nice and affordable. One reason I would not want to return to NJ is it was too expensive there.
Anyone in these areas think it would be a good place to live with to young kids? This is just an idea we are playing with but I do feel that within a year we will ant to head back stateside I prefer it there!

Louise
California has great schools and has become very affordable. I also have 4 and 7 yr old kids. Where we live near Sacramento has a lot of jobs and things to do for kids. It's not for everybody but you might want to just check it out.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
What's your US status?

I'm assuming at least greencard, but did you get citizenship?

If not citizenship, did you get a re-entry permit?
Indeed...hope citizenship was gotten, as it looks like LPR was abandoned unless the re-entry permit was gotten, but that doesn't guarantee things either.

what about poking around other parts of the EU?
Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Where in Essex are you? Some parts are better than others! Can your husband commute? Some parts of Essex are not far from London, so maybe he could commute. That's what I used to do - worked out a lot better for me than looking for a job locally.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

coral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nice

Thanks for all the replies!

Yes I am a US citizen! Sorry I didn't mention that! I purposely got my citizenship so I could return there if I decided to.

Well I suppose I could try other parts of the UK or EU but know and love the USA!

((Where in Essex are you? Some parts are better than others! Can your husband commute? Some parts of Essex are not far from London, so maybe he could commute. That's what I used to do - worked out a lot better for me than looking for a job locally.))
I'm in South Ockendon and my husband has been applying for jobs in London aswell.

California sounds good but so much further from London and in laws in NJ.

Mellybrown, how do you like it there? what are the pros and cons?
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippermint
California has great schools and has become very affordable. I also have 4 and 7 yr old kids. Where we live near Sacramento has a lot of jobs and things to do for kids. It's not for everybody but you might want to just check it out.
As with most things, it all depends on exactly where you are and what your expectations are.

Despite the decline in real-estate prices I would hesitate before making such a sweeping statement as "California ... has become very affordable", and not everyone would agree with you about the schools (although, once again, it depends on exactly where you are)
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:35 am
Just Joined

Ezequiel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Louise
Atlanta is a wonderful place to live, i'm in Midtown Atlanta, great weather to, compare with NJ.

Alpharetta will be a good place for you and your family to live, it's a beautiful place and has great school, the only downside that i see, is that the traffic HORRIBLE :curse:.

I hope you love to drive if you move here
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:45 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies!

Yes I am a US citizen! Sorry I didn't mention that! I purposely got my citizenship so I could return there if I decided to.

Well I suppose I could try other parts of the UK or EU but know and love the USA!

((Where in Essex are you? Some parts are better than others! Can your husband commute? Some parts of Essex are not far from London, so maybe he could commute. That's what I used to do - worked out a lot better for me than looking for a job locally.))
I'm in South Ockendon and my husband has been applying for jobs in London aswell.

California sounds good but so much further from London and in laws in NJ.

Mellybrown, how do you like it there? what are the pros and cons?
hmmm well ive not been here that long, and I dont know what it was like where you lived before - but my god is it HOT..and humid - thats probably the only thing i really hate. You have to drive everywhere (seems pretty US universal tho!!) The houses are nice - I think there is a pretty high unemployment rate in atlanta at the mo tho - nobody has any money with all this expensive gas!!!! Theres plenty to see and do - just depends what kind of stuff you like!
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:19 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Louise
Given your descriptions of your husband's health issues, I would consider your situation carefully before committing yourself to returning. At the very least, one of you will need to have a job in order to provide for his health care. Just something to think about...
Old Aug 12th 2008, 4:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Given your descriptions of your husband's health issues, I would consider your situation carefully before committing yourself to returning. At the very least, one of you will need to have a job in order to provide for his health care. Just something to think about...
It would also be a good idea for husband to get his British citizenship before he leaves the U.K.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
It would also be a good idea for husband to get his British citizenship before he leaves the U.K.
Yes that is something to keep in mind. My husband would need to have a job secure before we would move there.

Thanks for the replies like I said so far it's just an idea we are considering!

I miss the hot weather over there it is so misserable here lately! Just one reason I miss the States also.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Yes my husband is going to see a orthopeadic specialist this Saturday and hopefully evaluate his condition. He would need a job there before we would move back. Thanks for the advice it is appreciated!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.