Reload this Page >

Student in USA

Student in USA

Old Oct 2nd 2007, 6:33 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Student in USA

Originally Posted by daftpunk
I appreciate all the feedback regarding career / study path, but I know what I want to do. I'm really just after advice on the VISA side and how hard it will be to justify my decision to a VO.
Well, good luck. I can't advise on that type of visa.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 6:39 am
Just Joined

daftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sally
Well, good luck. I can't advise on that type of visa.
I didn't mean to be rude, I just didn't want to go off topic discussing that I'm wasting money, when I should stick with my job in London earning $$$ (heard it all from the parents ).
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 6:41 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't mean to be rude, I just didn't want to go off topic discussing that I'm wasting money, when I should stick with my job in London earning $$$ (heard it all from the parents ).
Oh no offence taken, I wouldn't like to give you wrong info on what you should say.

(But I am a Mum!)
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:43 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It's fine that you know what you want to do. I think a lot of people are raising this issue because they 'knew what they wanted to do too' when they were in the UK planning to come to the US, and this message board is litterally full of how their expectations have not been met. I think they just want you to understand where they're coming from and how similar a story it was to yours.

But anyway, as for the visa officer, you should emphasize your desire to study at this college, or your desire to study with this particular professor or this particular program. Try to emphasize something that was unique about this school and why it is a real opportunity for you. Or mention how you want to broaden your perspective of the world, or enhance your understanding of the USA beyond that of just reading the international media (which, you will come to discover and as the visa officer knows, doesn't always get it right when covering the USA). I think you should also emphasize that you have a steady job in the UK and family and options back here, but that you've made a serious contemplated decision to take this once in a lifetime opportunity in the US before you come back to the UK to settle down and start a family.

Or something like that.

Really, I don't think it will be much of a problem.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 2:16 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

A software development job for a big investment bank. And I can't get in at the moment without a degree. And I don't want to stick at what I do because I hate it.
I'd be interested to know what bank you have in mind.
I work in IT, and to be honest most firms I have dealt with wouldn't give a toss about your degree if you have 8 years of experience under your belt and are a capable individual.
That said hr spivs might throw your cv in the bin due to a lack of a degree - to get round this start networking or better still get taken on by a consulting/contracting firm and get them to drop you in there.
I studied a finance related discipline and worked in the City for a consulting firm very briefly - nothing I learnt at uni was of any use to me when I was writing code.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 3:14 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I think it is great that you want to get a college degree, but I would encourage you to 'shop around' a bit before you do so. A little known school in the NW is going to be great, if you want a job in a little known part of the NW. But if you are looking to work nationally, or internationally, you might consider spending your money on a school with a better name and a good program specifically in the field you wish to study. If it is business and finance, than you need, well--should be--on the East Coast near the financial areas, not out in the woods with beautiful scenery.

It is worth noting that your US degree will require almost a year and half to two years of required study NOT in your final degree area. So eventhough you are going for a finance degree, you are going to spend at least a year or two studying English Literature, Art, Astronomy, Basic Calculus, Psychology, etc. You may go the entire first year without a single business class.

I should note that you would really want to get an MBA in the US to be taken seriously in the business community, and that is a 2 year program AFTER your 4 years and AFTER a few years of work experience.

You might want to consider studying at home for a year or two and then getting your MBA in the states. Or taking a few classes in the UK that could transfer over to the US (i.e. take some night course in the UK--get a few of the requirements done and over with) so you can spend maybe 3 years instead of 4 in the US.

You can also let us know the name of the school and we might be able to give you a better read on the 'reputation' in the US.
Agreed
Old Oct 4th 2007, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

CarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the rough

Hello daftpunk,

I am studying in a little known college in the midwest. I started in August and I also had the choice of UK or US. Ironically I dropped out of a career in IT also had enough of it and decided to try studying in the US.

The visa is pretty easy to get. They are interested in you being able to support yourself. Make sure the college you choose has an international program. I'm sure you have looked, but on an F1 Visa you are unable to work, unless you can demonstrate economic hardship. If your college is not recognised by the UK as a foreign institution you are not eligable for grants or loans. So you need to be able to support yourself, and that is what they are looking for. Books alone are $500 per semester and that's on a lightly loaded course.

It is expensive! I've only been here since July, but I'm enjoying the change, at least you will know people, that would help somewhat. I didn't know a soul! Just me and 3 children, but so far it's worked out well.

If your degree will not count towards what you want to do, I'd not waste the money, if it doesn't matter and you want the experience, I'd go for it. I worked with people that had studied for degrees in the UK in animal husbandry, that were working in computer programming. Smaller companies tend to want you educated to degree standard, rather than being picky on what your degree is.

Good luck!