Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Student in USA

Student in USA

Old Oct 1st 2007, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

daftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nice
Default Student in USA

Hey guys,

I am wanting to study for a degree in the USA. I am 29 and never qualifed from uni here in the UK (I dropped out). I want to get a degree now so I can move my career in a new direction (I am a software developer of 8 years but I want to move into the financial markets, and need a degree for that).

I am wanting to do this degree in the states. I have friends there. To be truthful, I just fancy a few years living there as well. Otherwise I could just do the degree in the UK (which I don't want to do).

I am applying for a little known uni in the north west.

Now, assuming I am accepted, and I go for a the visa interview, how can I justify applying to a uni in the USA ? "Oh yes I like it there and would perhaps like to live there" isn't going to sit so well. How do other students from western nations justify spending $140K when they could study at home for free.

Do you think I will qualify for an F1?

Information if its relevant: I have the money for a 4 year course. I also have a residence here. I have family here. I am single. 29. Male. I can get a letter from my employer saying I will be working for them over the summer back in the UK if it helps.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 10:48 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student in USA

Originally Posted by daftpunk
Hey guys,

I am wanting to study for a degree in the USA. I am 29 and never qualifed from uni here in the UK (I dropped out). I want to get a degree now so I can move my career in a new direction (I am a software developer of 8 years but I want to move into the financial markets, and need a degree for that).

I am wanting to do this degree in the states. I have friends there. To be truthful, I just fancy a few years living there as well. Otherwise I could just do the degree in the UK (which I don't want to do).

Now, assuming I am accepted, and I go for a the visa interview, how can I justify applying to a uni in the USA ? "Oh yes I like it there and would perhaps like to live there" isn't going to sit so well. How do other students from western nations justify spending $140K when they could study at home for free.

Information if its relevant: I have the money for a 4 year course. I also have a residence here. I have family here. I am single. 29. Male. I can get a letter from my employer saying I will be working for them over the summer back in the UK if it helps.
If you have the funds plus an acceptance from a bona fide university, you'll most likely get the visa.

But why *would* you want to spend 140 grand for a degree from a 'little known university' in the US......... instead of a significantly smaller sum from a British university that will be recognised by British employers...
Old Oct 1st 2007, 10:58 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

This is a very stupid idea.

No offense, but I just dont think you are thinking straight. There has to be a female/male involved, correct? I can only echo Elviras comments to be honest. Do you plan on going back to the UK afterwards because you could do yourself more harm than good, especially if the uni is crap....and there are lots of those here. Why do you want to go to crap uni in the states? I'm assuming it is crap though? Just because it is small here does not necessarily imply that as there are many small private institutions that may not be that famous outside of the US but are well regarded by the establishment here. However, I would expect you to pay a lot more if it was one of these places.

With your experience, why don't you apply for an excellent course in the UK and use your savings more wisely? If you then want to come here to work or even to pursue further education after that, then that might be a better option.

Please don't get upset, just my two pennies worth.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 11:37 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is great that you want to get a college degree, but I would encourage you to 'shop around' a bit before you do so. A little known school in the NW is going to be great, if you want a job in a little known part of the NW. But if you are looking to work nationally, or internationally, you might consider spending your money on a school with a better name and a good program specifically in the field you wish to study. If it is business and finance, than you need, well--should be--on the East Coast near the financial areas, not out in the woods with beautiful scenery.

It is worth noting that your US degree will require almost a year and half to two years of required study NOT in your final degree area. So eventhough you are going for a finance degree, you are going to spend at least a year or two studying English Literature, Art, Astronomy, Basic Calculus, Psychology, etc. You may go the entire first year without a single business class.

I should note that you would really want to get an MBA in the US to be taken seriously in the business community, and that is a 2 year program AFTER your 4 years and AFTER a few years of work experience.

You might want to consider studying at home for a year or two and then getting your MBA in the states. Or taking a few classes in the UK that could transfer over to the US (i.e. take some night course in the UK--get a few of the requirements done and over with) so you can spend maybe 3 years instead of 4 in the US.

You can also let us know the name of the school and we might be able to give you a better read on the 'reputation' in the US.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, probably...but waste of money going over to study in a place no one has heard of, won't bring you any kudos over here nor in blighty and be a waste of money....and you won't be able to do much work whilst studying, after the first semester you'll be allowed to do 20 hours a week on campus work....but getting the visa is easy, you've just got to show you have the funds or a way of having the funds provided for you to cover tuition plus around $10K a year living expenses to cover food/lodgings and study material.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:39 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

Are you after an IT job in financial markets or a job trading ??
If the former then no employer worth their salt would insist that a programmer with 8 years experience go back to study.
If the later (and don't take this the wrong way), you are probably too old to be considered for such a position now, let alone in 4 years.
If you have enough cash saved up to pay for a course of study in the US why not stick at it for a bit longer - you're obviously doing something right.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 2:18 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

What is it you really want to do? Live in the US or study for a degree?

Following your existing plans, you'll end up with a degree that will cost $$$s (did someone say kerching?) and you'll probably have to return to the UK where that degree will mean very little.

What do you mean you have residence here? Do you have Permanent Residence in the US?

If I were you, I'd study for a Bachelors degree in the UK that has an exchange with an American university. This could lead to a semester or more studying in the US.

Alternatively, you could work for a company that has offices in the US and if you can climb the corporate ladder into a senior/management position, you may get an opportunity to transfer to a US office. This will take time and there's no guarantee.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 5:55 am
Just Joined

daftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nice

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
This is a very stupid idea.

No offense, but I just dont think you are thinking straight. There has to be a female/male involved, correct? I can only echo Elviras comments to be honest. Do you plan on going back to the UK afterwards because you could do yourself more harm than good, especially if the uni is crap....and there are lots of those here. Why do you want to go to crap uni in the states? I'm assuming it is crap though? Just because it is small here does not necessarily imply that as there are many small private institutions that may not be that famous outside of the US but are well regarded by the establishment here. However, I would expect you to pay a lot more if it was one of these places.

With your experience, why don't you apply for an excellent course in the UK and use your savings more wisely? If you then want to come here to work or even to pursue further education after that, then that might be a better option.

Please don't get upset, just my two pennies worth.
No offence taken, prefer an honest comment. No 'other half' involved. I have friends in the states, want to live there for a bit simple as that.

I can't get on a good course here, I don't have the a-levels. I could go back to Sunderland uni, but no offence to Sunderland, the corporate world is not impressed. I could apply for a crap uni here, or a crap uni there. And I'd rather go there.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 5:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
What do you mean you have residence here? Do you have Permanent Residence in the US?
Residence in the UK. In that I would still own a house here.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 5:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Are you after an IT job in financial markets or a job trading ??
If the former then no employer worth their salt would insist that a programmer with 8 years experience go back to study.
If the later (and don't take this the wrong way), you are probably too old to be considered for such a position now, let alone in 4 years.
If you have enough cash saved up to pay for a course of study in the US why not stick at it for a bit longer - you're obviously doing something right.
A software development job for a big investment bank. And I can't get in at the moment without a degree. And I don't want to stick at what I do because I hate it.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 6:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
yeah, probably...but waste of money going over to study in a place no one has heard of, won't bring you any kudos over here nor in blighty and be a waste of money....and you won't be able to do much work whilst studying, after the first semester you'll be allowed to do 20 hours a week on campus work....but getting the visa is easy, you've just got to show you have the funds or a way of having the funds provided for you to cover tuition plus around $10K a year living expenses to cover food/lodgings and study material.
I don't need to work, I have enough money. I also have work in the summer I can do back in the UK.

My original question is just, when the visa officer says to me, "You're wasting your money, why don't you just study in the UK" I have no answer. What can I say? The truth is I just want to go to the USA for a few years and that's not really a good answer is it.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 6:14 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't get on a good course here, I don't have the a-levels. I could go back to Sunderland uni, but no offence to Sunderland, the corporate world is not impressed. I could apply for a crap uni here, or a crap uni there. And I'd rather go there.

That would give you a reason to move to the US to study although your line of reasoning overall still isn't quite clear to me.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally
That would give you a reason to move to the US to study although your line of reasoning overall still isn't quite clear to me.
I want to do a degree (for many reasons not just career development but to prove I can do it)
I want to live in the states for a bit.

Combine the two.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 6:28 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to do a degree (for many reasons not just career development but to prove I can do it)
I want to live in the states for a bit.

Combine the two.
That's 4 years though - and degrees vary greatly in their worth. Couldn't you get A Levels up to standard and then have more of a pick? Have you consulted a career professional of some sort?
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 6:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally
That's 4 years though - and degrees vary greatly in their worth. Couldn't you get A Levels up to standard and then have more of a pick? Have you consulted a career professional of some sort?
I appreciate all the feedback regarding career / study path, but I know what I want to do. I'm really just after advice on the VISA side and how hard it will be to justify my decision to a VO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.