Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Student Immigration

Student Immigration

Old Nov 30th 2003, 9:11 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Sparkster
What does DOYR? as for going to the US immigration web site, oh yes looked at everything on it. I'm not exactly asking you lot to tell me what I need to do that I can find out, what I'm trying to find it is what are my chances? what can you who have already done it advised. I'm trying to get your knowledge that you got through experience. Although I'm actually interested in what your saying about studying in America, it may be expensive but it makes sense. The only problem I have with it is I'm not going to get a great deal from selling the house as my Dad will need most of it for his holiday home and living out the rest of his life in the sun. And if I go to America and do a degree there I won't be able to work part time which I could do with doing.

By the way as for asking for any offers on this board I was only joking and secondly I'd never go through with it its too dishonest for my liking.

and don't worry I won't take any offense to what you said but I will assure you that I'm not looking for any easy solution as they arn't any, I'm trying to improve my chances of making it by seeking your lots wisdom, that so far has been invaluable.

As I mentioned I like the idea you've put forward, but if I'm going to get a degree I'm going to need to be working part time as I do it, especially if its as expensive as you say it is to do it over there. I'd probably need to get a sponsorship or something, either that or a grant from somebody.
study in the USA is an option and does have advantages. Note though its expensive. Even state colleges charge around $6-10,000 in tuition and good schools more like $20,000. To get a student visa you would need to prove you have sufficent funds to cover tuition and expenses for the first year of study. After the first year you can work part time no more than 20 hours per week.

If you got an undergrad degree in the Uk then tried for postgrad in the usa that might work better. there are scholarships for this see:

http://www.fulbright.co.uk/awards/uk/index.html

there are also other awards available for this. mostly its merit based so you need to go to a great uni and graduate near the top. can you get into cambridge or Oxford maybe? they have links with US schools and you can do exchanges, also LSE has some links i think. good place to meet US girls to by the way you never know.

regards,

Duncan
Old Nov 30th 2003, 9:15 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

And as for first hand experience I fully agree I might not like it, but beleive me things would have to be bad for America to be worse than Rotherham. I'm trying to think of a way to describe Rotherham as a whole. Right I've got an idea.

If you've seen Judge Dredd, take the idea of the city that has you get lower down it gets worse. Well Rotherham is like that you've got your good areas but as you get closer to town and as you get closer to the edge that connects to Sheffield you've got your trouble spots. But unfortunatly these trouble spots spread and other areas are getting worse.
has it occurred to you to just move out of Rotherham? Britains much bigger than Rotherham. Or try Scotland, or Ireland. Belfast's not a bad city once you get used to it just stay out of politics in NI.

regards,

Duncan
Old Nov 30th 2003, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Sparkster is an unknown quantity at this point

This fullbright might be a blessing in disguise, it seems like a very good idea and I might possible take, I'll have to look into it but it seems like a true miracle. Chears Duncan.

As for oxford/cambridge, not a chance, I did well in my exams I was in the top 20% in my school of a thosand and blob students.

I got me 4 A's 4B's 1 C and 1 D.

However Oxford and Cambridge require something more along the lines of

4 A* 4 A's and 1B

you've got to shift my grades up one boundry, also although its not offical they would never except me cos of my background, OX and Cam are known for been snob schools it was in the paper a while back they turned down a girl who got the highest grades in the country, she was like me she came from a now soo wealthy background.

No this full bright idea would serve me better thanks again Duncan this could serve me well.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Duncs
has it occurred to you to just move out of Rotherham? Britains much bigger than Rotherham. Or try Scotland, or Ireland. Belfast's not a bad city once you get used to it just stay out of politics in NI.

regards,

Duncan
Not possible my friend, house prices in Britain are terrible and loans are a nightmare with the high interest rates. I mentioned this before, America house prices are cheaper than British ones, I could possible afford a house in America (I've looked at some real estate prices in America) that wouldn't be fancy but would serve me well. I've got one Brother that tried to move away from Rotherham, he sold his house here (He's alot older than me) and went to live in Lutterworth, the interest rates have compltly gagged him, he'll be lucky if he dosn't end up in Debtors prison.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

The only problem I can seem to find with this full bright scheme is that they only have 17 vacancys and get about 350 applications, thats tough competition. I'll try mind you I'll try.

Exactly how much does it cost to study in America? I know it'll vary from state to state, but roughly how much, and can you please put it in pounds.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 10:29 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

The only problem I can seem to find with this full bright scheme is that they only have 17 vacancys and get about 350 applications, thats tough competition. I'll try mind you I'll try.

Exactly how much does it cost to study in America? I know it'll vary from state to state, but roughly how much, and can you please put it in pounds.
FYI, DYOR = Do Your Own Research (see my earlier post).

Various US magazines do annual "Best Colleges" reviews, which include average cost of tuition and fees. Examples are US News and World Report. I believe Money magazine just published an issue on cheapest schools. You may be able to order via your local library or bookstore.

As an out of state/international student, you will pay more. Ballpark figure for a state university is 5,000 - 8,000 dollars per year (you can do the calculations to convert to pounds). Depending where you live, expect to pay 2,000 - 4,000 per year for accommodation, 2,000-4,000 per year groceries, and 1,000 per year textbooks. That's 10,000-17,000 per year total. Of course, if you insist on driving a car, eating out, and boozing regularly, these costs skyrocket.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 10:33 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Try
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/col...ndex_brief.php for example.

- you can find this kind of information yourself if you try a bit of imaginative Web searching. I just typed "college" "best" and "value" in my regular Web Search window.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 11:23 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the college but you have to figure on £20,000 a year and all colleges are four year so you are looking at £80,000 without taking accommodation, food or books into account.

If you are serious you need a plan of action and need to look to move over here in 7-10 years. You need to get a college degree in the UK, start working for a company to get experience then start looking at firms who will sponsor you in the US. If you think you are getting here in less than 5 years without an american wife I think your are deluded.

You could always join the US Army

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick; Nov 30th 2003 at 11:33 am.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 11:41 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Originally posted by Patrick
Depends on the college but you have to figure on £20,000 a year and all colleges are four year so you are looking at £80,000 without taking accommodation, food or books into account.

If you are serious you need a plan of action and need to look to move over here in 7-10 years. You need to get a college degree in the UK, start working for a company to get experience then start looking at firms who will sponsor you in the US. If you think you are getting here in less than 5 years without an american wife I think your are deluded.

Patrick
Oohh Patrick kicks for the balls again.

But he is right.

Fulbright is for postgrad study by the way not undergrad. You need a UK undergrad degree first. Undergrad study over here would cost you at least $15,000 per year for 4 years and that would be at state college. A good private uni, Harvard, Duke etc would be more like $50,000 a year. Education in the USA is damn expensive. i hear students in the uk crying about the cost of a degree and just think they dont know they are born. My wife has 2 masters degrees and around $49,000 in student debts to repay for the privilage. Its no easy ride i can tell you.

Surely Oxbridge is on A level grades didnt you get AAB? They might like someone like you to widen the diversity of their entrance pool anyhow. Dont ask, dont get.

regards,

Duncan
Old Nov 30th 2003, 11:48 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncs
Oohh Patrick kicks for the balls again.
I really don't see the point of beating around the bush on this, he is chasing a pipe dream. Unless he puts in some hard graft he is not coming here any time soon. Seeing as he can't be arsed to do any of his own research I think he is ****ed, and it won't be the USA's loss either.

You want to politician so you need tact and diplomacy, I really can't be bothered with them myself, too much like hard work and noone thanks you for them anyway. Tell it straight, they will get over it quicker, balls only hurt for short while!

Patrick
Old Nov 30th 2003, 11:51 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

I haven nothing against been a nurse. If it comes down to it all do it, however the main problem I have is that I'm trying to avoid going to uni because of the cost, is there any other subjects that I could do in America that A won't take as long (I do beleive Nursing is a very long course 4+ years) but is a desired qualification over there?

However I do find one problem with your story, if the man wanted to join his wife why didn't he just file a greencard based on family, he has a wife there who is a permanent resident. Dosn't that put him on the priority list, or is he doing the course because he wants to work as a nurse once he gets over there?

The ENT consultant is doing a nursing course as he can get a Green Card (he will find an employer through a nursing agency and the agency will do all the paperwork for the employment petition). His wife has only been teaching in the US since September 2003 and she is on an H1 work permit - if he joins her based on her H1 he would only get an H4 visa and would be unable to work in his own right.

Nursing is a highly desired qualification in the US; look at the posts that "Rockgurl" has posted here in the US forum (with the timeline). She's moving over to Arizona imminently *on a Green Card* as she is a nurse, but she has a partner and is intending to settle permanently in the US. Other nurses come into the US I understand on H1 visas. I guess you could do a search for 'nursing' + agencies and take it from there. Don't forget that nursing is more highly paid in the US than in the UK, and believe me when I say it would be far cheaper for you to get your qualifications in the UK rather than in the States. Why not phone a local hospital in Rotherham and ask about training and where the nearest School of Nursing is located - you may be able to commute daily and live at home. I have no idea how long training courses are but I would guess it would be easily three years. Or you could try physiotherapy (called physical therapy in the US).
Old Nov 30th 2003, 11:55 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

PS: I forgot to add that students on a low income doing approved NHS training courses also can apply for a bursary (cost of living grant). This is in addition to the free tuition. All other students in England & Wales pay 1050 pounds per year for tuition - which is soooo cheap compared to college fees in the US!

Go to the NHS website and do a search for 'bursary'.

Tuition is free in Scotland for university courses - but only for Scottish residents - so that discounts you.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 11:57 am
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by Englishmum
The ENT consultant is doing a nursing course as he can get a Green Card (he will find an employer through a nursing agency and the agency will do all the paperwork for the employment petition). His wife has only been teaching in the US since September 2003 and she is on an H1 work permit - if he joins her based on her H1 he would only get an H4 visa and would be unable to work in his own right.

Nursing is a highly desired qualification in the US; look at the posts that "Rockgurl" has posted here in the US forum (with the timeline). She's moving over to Arizona imminently *on a Green Card* as she is a nurse, but she has a partner and is intending to settle permanently in the US. Other nurses come into the US I understand on H1 visas. I guess you could do a search for 'nursing' + agencies and take it from there. Don't forget that nursing is more highly paid in the US than in the UK, and believe me when I say it would be far cheaper for you to get your qualifications in the UK rather than in the States. Why not phone a local hospital in Rotherham and ask about training and where the nearest School of Nursing is located - you may be able to commute daily and live at home. I have no idea how long training courses are but I would guess it would be easily three years. Or you could try physiotherapy (called physical therapy in the US).
This guy wants to come to america and do nothing to get here. It is far cheaper and quicker to study in the UK then move over. He has Sheffield and Hallam Uni's near him, both very good. He is either not serious, a prat or a troll. Either way I think your very good suggestions are lost on him, if he really want to come he would consider nursing.

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick; Nov 30th 2003 at 1:47 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, you are not going to get here, unless its on a 90 day visa waiver. To be a librarian you will need a degree in library science, my wife has just been looking into this. As far as I have found, A-Levels and GCSE's mean absolutely nothing here, there are millions of unemployed people with bachelors degrees, masteres degrees and Phds. I knew a guy who had a Phd and worked in a coffee shop for 6 months. I know people who have got IT related degrees (including myself) and other technical degrees and have been out of work for months. Without a degree any application you send wont reach the person responsible for hiring.

To go to a University here you need to prove you have your tuition and living expenses for the first year before you can even get a student visa, you cant work until the second year of your degree and even then the job has to be on campus or aproved by the BCIS. (unless this has changed in the last year)
One way I can see you getting here is to marry an American citizen, which will take a while and unless its a real marriage the chances of you getting a visa is slim and you almost certainly wont get the conditional status removed on your green card.
The other is to get a job at an international company, work there for 10 years until you have a lot of skills and are a key part of the organisation, then see if they will transfer you.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

As for the not having a work and been sick, yes Britain has a NHS, but I don't reckon too much to it, granted you can get to the doctor and he'll sort you out, but only if its serious, if its the flu and you need some anti biotics, with the waiting time you might as well just bear it out.

As for the marriage visa, I am trying to dodge that but if it comes down to it, as I said this is a dream and I'll do what I must.
Don't be too quick to knock the NHS... you don't know what you are missing till it is gone. Even with insurance my husband and I are paying $$$$'s for my near perfect pregnancy.

Also as many others have pointed out you are living in LA LA land if you think you will be living (legally) in the states any time soon.

ash

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.