Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A stranger videoing my daughter at the pool

A stranger videoing my daughter at the pool

Old Aug 19th 2008, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A stranger videoing my daughter at the pool

Originally Posted by Tracym
According to the link the other poster put up, legally he would be completely within his rights, for a photo. We don't know for sure if that applies to video, but I suspect it does.

Be a bit concerned, get the kid away - sure. Like I said before, I wouldn't like it either.

But I guess I wouldn't suggest being threatening, calling police, etc. if only legal activities were occurring.
I will not be comfortable someone having a 30 min video of my daughter

I know legally nothing can be done - but I will be more than happy to
break the camera and pay for it if it came to that to ensure the video
is destroyed.

I am on the beach every weekend and mind you in Australia not US and
they are very strict on what one can shoot. If a complaint is made they
demand to see if any inappropriate photos have been taken.

Look - I am not saying call police, be threatening, demand answers etc.
but I am just saying I will not tolerate this if it happened to me...
Camera would be at the bottom of the pool ...
Old Aug 19th 2008, 1:42 am
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
The Flick My Bean?
mocha moan?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
..............you also may think totally different if it was your own 7 year old daughter.
I sincerely doubt it.

Sorry, but it's a bit ridiculous to think one can only have feelings, reasoning, or logic about an issue if it's their own child.

And even if I did have some raging protective upset feelings - I would try to decide what I should logically do about it.

I almost doubt the guy was up to no good - seems he would have been a bit more sneaky about it really. Perhaps he films all sorts of things. Or perhaps he's a nut - there's no way to tell really.

But he didn't approach the child, didn't touch the child, didn't hurt the child - I personally would probably find it creepy anyway, and remove the child.

I've taken photos of stray kids, once in a rare while - if they were doing something cute in a public place. Along with butterflies, puppies, buildings, cloud formations...

Sure, a long video is stranger - but if legal, I don't think the the response I woudl choose would be threatening etc. No judgement of the OP, if she was upset, I can understand it. I am more thinking some of the suggestions made to her are over the top.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only

is destroyed.

I am on the beach every weekend and mind you in Australia not US and
they are very strict on what one can shoot. If a complaint is made they
demand to see if any inappropriate photos have been taken.

Look - I am not saying call police, be threatening, demand answers etc.
but I am just saying I will not tolerate this if it happened to me...
Camera would be at the bottom of the pool ...
Well here anyway, you'd likely be the one in jail then.

Again, I would find it creepy too, but...
Old Aug 19th 2008, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

I sincerely doubt it.

But he didn't approach the child, didn't touch the child, didn't hurt the child - I personally would probably find it creepy anyway, and remove the child.
I can *influence* only what I can influence...I have not idea not
can control what this camera guy can do with that video....and so
I for one will not wait for anything to happen to prove that I
need to take action....I will take action based on what i can
control and influence.....

He did not touch her etc does not mean to *me* that I will sleep
easy knowing this guy had 30 min shoot of my daughter....
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:29 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
No my daughter isn't hot - she's 7. But she is very tall, very pretty, and she photographs well. I can imagine some might think she's hot, which makes me feel a bit sick.

I'm coping fine, thank you.

To the person who said I should be more careful and proactive in future: do you have some more concrete suggestions? Shall we stop bathing in public pools? Should I patrol them to ensure no one has a camera pointed near my child? I will be more proactive next time though - I will call the police straight away
<facepalm> No, I wasn't asking if your daughter was hot. Sarcasm. Wit. Look them up in the dictionary.

I'm glad you're coping - considering the horrific trauma you just went through.
Hats off to you for your resilience.

As to being more proactive - tell him to sling his hook and call the cops there and then. Don't mess about.
Have you considered the fact that he might not have been getting off videoing your daughter - but rather by baiting you? Why was he so smugly argumentative? Perhaps this is analogous to rape in that it's often not about sex, but power.

I don't mean to sound like an asshole but, please, you're making a mountain out of a molehill.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:32 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
If the man had apologized, and understood that the OP and her husband did not want him filming their child and had given a more plausible and apt explanation as to why he was doing it then maybe they would have had nothing to FRET about...............but he didn't. It is quite natural you know for parents to have an instinctive reaction to unwarranted attention to their children and it is also natural to want protect your child from anything you deem suspicous or untoward happening to your child.

Maybe the next child he films wont have a parent around to protect them..

As for being liberal, who the hell cares and why do you always bring that up?
Because it's not generally the conservatives who foist knee-jerk, nanny-state legislation on people. It's farking do-gooders who don't realize that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. That's why I bring it up and posted that Simpsons picture. Won't somebody please think of the children?!!!!!

Now get out on your Triumph.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:35 am
Peace onion

This thread deserves the Pedo Bear seal of approval.

Google - it's your friend.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:38 am
Peace onion

Seen leaving the area...
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only

is destroyed.

It won't just be a question of paying for the camera if you resort to that kind of violence. It could be a jail cell for you, or worse.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I almost doubt the guy was up to no good - seems he would have been a bit more sneaky about it really.
I disagree. I think that he probably got off feeling empowered by the law.

I have a 7 year old daughter and I know that I will do as much as I can to protect her, including dealing with someone who is photographing her without my permission.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:43 am
Peace onion

Just stumble into him and accidentally knock his camera when you try and return his lens cap.

Well, I must be off. Got to hop over to fark.com; there are crippled kids and orphaned animals to make fun of.
Although I will draw the line at 4chan.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Just stumble into him and accidentally knock his camera when you try and return his lens cap.

Well, I must be off. Got to hop over to fark.com; there are crippled kids and orphaned animals to make fun of.
Although I will draw the line at 4chan.
Do you really have to go? Can you take a few with you?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:50 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

So of course nobody on this thread has their childrens pics up in the gallery ...
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
It won't just be a question of paying for the camera if you resort to that kind of violence. It could be a jail cell for you, or worse.
My point is exactly what as below / AmerLisa thanks

I have a 7 year old daughter and I know that I will do as much as I can to protect her, including dealing with someone who is photographing her without my permission.

I will have to deal with it - if grabbing the camera can be called voilence...well what can I say...

The point here being - I will not tolerate this if it happened to me and I will do *everything* in my power to ensure I deal with it..of course not voilent in anyway......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.