Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A stranger videoing my daughter at the pool

Wikiposts

A stranger videoing my daughter at the pool

Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A stranger videoing my daughter at the pool

Originally Posted by Tracym
The drinking age was raised, and the drunk driving accidents went down. That was the reason for it. Good idea or bad, it isn't some kind of repression - it was with the intent to save lives.

I don't know where you live - I almost never show an ID. I get on the train all the time - noone's ever asked for my ID. If you were writing a check to purchase it, I guess you'd need an ID. But so what? You show an ID to get on a plane. I've never EVER seen a mall that IDs everyone.

And a bar with 100% ID policies - again so what? They make sure you're of legal age.

I really don't understand the big deal about showing an ID - they glance at the pic and hand it back. Doesn't seem like giving up a personal freedom to me - honestly seems a big deal about nothing really.
Evidence of this claim please? Some countries in Europe have a legal drinking age of 16. Surely their drink driving accident rate must be sky high? I dont see drink driving as an age issue. In my experience, the older generation seem to take a more relaxed attitude towards drink driving.

I live in NYC. I got the train from NY to Philly recently. The ticket said that I must show a valid photo ID with my ticket.

A 100% ID policy is ridiculous. I went to a bar in WI recently and happened to forget my ID. It was 1pm on a Monday. They wouldnt serve me. The barlady said that she could clearly see that I'm over 21. I'm 26 and look old for my age, most people think I'm closer to 30. She said that she knew that I was over 21, but if she served me without asking for ID she could get fired. Thats not a good example as I accept that its reasonable for a bar to have something along the lines of 'we ID anyone who appears to be younger than 30'. Here is a crazy example though.... I was talking recently to an old guy that I met. He was 75 and originally from the UK. He'd been in a supermarket the week before and they refused to serve him a case of beer because he didnt have any ID. He was 75 years old. That is utterly ridiculous. I dont like this attitude that a rule should overrule common sense. I remember being in pubs on plenty of occasions between the ages of 17 and 18 and I've been served for exaple if I was with my dad or it was during the day. Obviously when I tried the same thing on a friday night it was a different story! I just dont understand why the attitude here seems to be that you must obey the rules at all costs at the cost of common sense and flexibility.

You are right, the act of showing an ID isnt a big deal, but the principle is. Why should I have to have a photo ID just to go about my daily business?Surely the libertarian crowd amongst us must be able to see that?
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
No, they have a healthy attitude about young people drinking and driving and raised the legal drinking age to 21 in the hopes that by that age the person would be mature enough to see the consequences of irresponsible behavior.

total and utter shit. Why are so many college towns plagued by rape, drink driving and binge drinking?? Learning at a young age to respect alcohol is a much better way than to ban it until a ridiculously high age. I'm not saying that the UK is the way forward as we definitely have a problem with alcohol which I believe is a cultural problem, but what about European countries that have a more relaxed attitude?? French children are almost encouraged to drink wine from a much earlier age!
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Sorry, in your earlier post you made it sound like your problem was that we had a minimum drinking age at all.

So you think the British attitude toward alcohol is healthy? By that I mean that the UK attitude and minimum age fosters a society of responsible drinkers?
nope, as stated above I think we (the British) have a terrible attitude towards alcohol, although that clearly has nothing to do with the drinking age as plenty of other countries seem to manage just fine with 18 or even younger. I have no idea why we seem equate drinking with getting drunk.

Last edited by pejpm1; Aug 20th 2008 at 1:17 am.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:19 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
This thread (string) serves to illustrate the difference between what I call the American mindset, and the mindset which seems to be prevalent in the UK at the moment.

The UK mindset tends to focus on the individual incident, the emotions of those involved etc, putting oneself in kins' position. It focuses on the personal; an emotional, empathic response. I'm not trying to be offensive but I do think of it as a hand-wringing response. And the children must be protected from this threat *at all costs*. I understand that as a parent.

The mindset of people like Ray, TracyM and myself comes from abstracting up from the emotional level. As I said in an earlier post, we are viewing this incident from the macro level, focusing on the larger picture.

I would posit that this explains to some degree the differences between the current American and British cultures.
When incidents like school or mall shootings occur, the British are astonished why there isn't a groundswell of opinion in the US to ban firearms. If it saves just one life is the refrain.
The American - I would say libertarian - viewpoint is that the rights and freedoms of the majority should not be restricted because of the actions of the very few.

It's horses for courses, I guess. If you have more of the British mindset, you'd probably be happier living in the UK.
If, like me, you have more of a libertarian bent, you'd be happier here, as I am.

I used to read the tabloid press in the UK, even while over here. (The Sun, the Mirror, the Daily Mail etc.) Now I can't stand the sensationalism and voyeuristic wallowing in other people's grief.
Here's a key cultural difference: Americans would refer to this post as a joke, while Brits would describe it as taking the piss.

This is not a left vs. right, Brit vs. America issue, but a matter of whether you care more about the rights of your kids to not be harassed and objectified, or whether you give deference to the rights of a freakshow pervert to get off on your kid.

The laws have failed to keep up with the times, the technology moves much more quickly than the courts possibly could. The internet provides far too much ability to privacy haters to impose themselves on others who would rather be left alone.

I will admit, though, that there are some key cultural differences in how various people would deal with situations like the OP's -

-In Britain, the parents would have a good whinge about it, and soothed their nerves with a cuppa

-In the Northeastern US, the parents would have told their friends about it over coffee

-On the west coast, the parents would have contacted their therapist and spiritual advisor, looked to their crystals for guidance and calmed themselves with a bowl of granola and a glass of soy milk

-In the Midwest, the parents would have called the cops and their minister, and found solace with eight Big Macs and a gallon of ice cream

-In Texas, they would have shot the bastard, agreed that he "needed killin'" and enjoyed their new camera.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:20 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
nope, as stated above I think we (the British) have a terrible attitude towards alcohol, although that clearly has nothing to do with the drinking age as plenty of other countries seem to manage just fine with 18 or even younger. I have no idea why we seem equate drinking with getting drunk.
From what you've said, it sounds like your (UK) problem is the minimum drinking age is set too high. Needs to be set lower, like the French.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:20 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
We hid in out hut ...

And you know what happen when people are falseley accused ..i.e Richard Jewel

No I don't ..I have see many weirdos ... that MO ..does not tally ...
As an afterthough he may well realize he could have seen to be suspicious

But of course we will never know for sure ...

Its is good that the subject is aired though it will make
people more aware ...

but the fact remains that most child abusers are
member of their own family ..
Ray, this is what I tried to post last night in reply to you, but BE fell over and died before I could submit the reply!

I will defer to your professional knowlege on the subject. I can kind of see what you're saying about the "weirdness" being relative. There are many things I see on a daily basis as an educator that don't seem all that strange or uncommon to me, but someone not in my position might question.

Anyway, I'll agree to disagree with you on this one, and I, as always, wish you well.

First day of school tomorrow.........I'd better be off to sleep! 5 am will be a rude awakening.

~SG
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

From what you've said, it sounds like your (UK) problem is the minimum drinking age is set too high. Needs to be set lower, like the French.
possibly. I also think the other countries have a much stronger wine culture so they associate drinking as being an integral part of a meal, while we see drinking as purely a leisure activity.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
Long one, sorry...

I'm in Boston for a couple of days with my kids, husband and my mother in law.

It's hot so we went to Boston Common where there's a huge paddling pool. It was full of kids in either underwear or swimsuits.

After my three kids played there for over half an hour in their underwear we got them out and started getting them dressed. Several people came up and told us that a man in a blue shirt had been filming my 7 year old daughter for a good half an hour.

I looked at the man they were pointing at, and sure enough his camera was pointing at us. My daughter was getting changed at this point (we were doing it as discreetly as possible) so I walked straight at him and he dropped the camera.

We found some 'staff' and talked to them about him, but they were all teenagers just there to lifeguard. They started talking to him but nothing much seemed to happen.

My husband went up to him and asked him if he'd been filming our daughter. He said 'Yes I have. If you take your daughter into a public place I am allowed to film her.'

My husband asked why he'd been filming her in particular and he said something about her embodying the innocence of children having fun.

My husband asked what he planned to do with the film and he said 'I don't have to tell you that, you don't have any right to know.'

My husband said he was extremely unhappy about this. The guy said something about working in multimedia, and it only being low res film, but my husband said once again that he wasn't happy that this man had been filming our daughter and we didn't know what he was going to do with the film, and that he had not asked our permission.

We both made it clear that we specifically did not give him our permission to publicise or use the film in any way.

My husband had also taken some photos of the guy, and he said we would be sending these photos to the police when WE got home.

The guy (who had obviously picked up our British accent) said he didn't think the police back home would be very interested.

I said we would be contacting the Boston police, and that my husband and the children were actually American citizens living nearby. He looked a bit worried at this point.

Then he said 'Fine, let's call the police together.' We said, no, we were leaving, but that we would be ensuring someone was informed ASAP that he was videoing children at a paddling pool without anyone's consent. At this point the teenager lifeguards were asking us to 'Take it elsewhere.'

At that point we left the paddling pool, but shortly afterwards (still on Boston Common) we saw a Park Ranger. My husband told them about the man, showed them the man's photo, and gave them his business card so they could call if anything further happened.

The Ranger radioed for help, and said he would go immediately and find this man and stop him filming. They said once you ask someone to stop filming they must stop, but nothing about whether someone can film children without permission in a public place, nor about whether they can do anything with the film if you expressly forbid them to. The rangers were not going to let him continue however.

Now I have no idea what this man planned to do with the film, but he did not have my permission to do anything with it, and I have no idea if I can do anything more. I wish we had called the police at the time so he could at least be checked out in some way and to make sure they were aware of what he was doing.

I don't think there are paedos everywhere, but I know they are on the internet, and I absolutely do NOT want film of my daughter on there.

I know that my 7 year old daughter's photos on Flickr get more views than anyone else in the family. I am very careful what photos of my children I put online, especially her, and if I am at all worried I make them viewable by family and friends only.

I know that my daughter probably appears in the background of other people's photos, and that potentially they could get online and be perved at, and I do accept that you can only control so much.

But I'm just so angry that this man thought it was fine to video MY daughter without asking me or her.

No idea what the debate is here, I just wanted to vent really. And I am wondering whether to contact the police with this man's photo, and put in a formal complaint.

I have no idea if the law is on my side in any of this but I suspect it isn't :-(
I would have just calmly castrated the bastard (no painkillers either)
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Here's a key cultural difference: Americans would refer to this post as a joke, while Brits would describe it as taking the piss.

This is not a left vs. right, Brit vs. America issue, but a matter of whether you care more about the rights of your kids to not be harassed and objectified, or whether you give deference to the rights of a freakshow pervert to get off on your kid.
Actually I think he just likes winding people up.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:29 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
possibly. I also think the other countries have a much stronger wine culture so they associate drinking as being an integral part of a meal, while we see drinking as purely a leisure activity.
So what would the US gain exactly by lowering the drinking age to 18?
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:31 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

So what would the US gain exactly by lowering the drinking age to 18?
More profit for bars and drink companies
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:36 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
First day of school tomorrow.........I'd better be off to sleep! 5 am will be a rude awakening.

~SG
You're late
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:37 am
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Ray
More profit for bars and drink companies
Well hey, if it works for England...
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:41 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
You're late
Nah, it's all good. My own kids have a half day of school today. I don't start back until tomorrow, so I officially have three more hours of summer left!

And I decided to spend them here? That's sad............

~SG
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:47 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you're right your post is taking the piss...

It appears that you have just proven OF's point. You've taken one isolated incident, turned it into an emotive strawman of an argument and used it to justify why everyone should lose out because of a few extreme cases. Are you Jacqui Smith?

The laws have failed to keep up with the times, the technology moves much more quickly than the courts possibly could. The internet provides far too much ability to privacy haters to impose themselves on others who would rather be left alone.
But now we have the technology to monitor everyone wherever they go via CCTV, including, and yes this is very ironic considering the subject of this thread, kids in the school toilets. [1] But that's OK right because it's the government that is in charge of that, and we all know you can trust the government...

[1] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/19/school_cctv/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.