Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Starting from scratch.

Wikiposts

Starting from scratch.

Old Jan 20th 2013, 6:56 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting from scratch.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And the answer is to outperform your coworkers consistently, with a goal of becoming indispensable if possible, moving around internally, and gaining experience and qualifications/ certifications applicable to your role, .... and hope there isn't a last-in-first-out lay-off before a bunch of people join after you.
Fine is you are an agressive go-getter type and don't mind living by the law of the jungle.
Some of us just want to work, get a paycheck and go home.

I've seen people fired after they handed in their retirement notice here.
Also fired on the spot with no notice just because they were no longer needed.

F-that.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 12:11 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Fine is you are an agressive go-getter type and don't mind living by the law of the jungle.
Some of us just want to work, get a paycheck and go home.

I've seen people fired after they handed in their retirement notice here.
Also fired on the spot with no notice just because they were no longer needed.

F-that.
They did that to me when I handed in two weeks notice getting ready to move back to UK. Miserable f*c*ers. They treid to say they didn't need me anymore after that shift. I knew they were bullshitting as they were short staffed and kept asking if I'd do extra.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:48 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I did it after coming over on my K1. I was a civil servant in the UK but so many government jobs out here required citizenship so I couldn't do that right off the bat when I got my EAD.

It just so happened that my wife's company needed a runner to go and pick up cheques, plans, drop bank deposits off, that sort of thing right at the time I got my EAD and drivers license so I sort of fell into that. It was officially part time, but they had me helping out in the office more and more so I ended up putting in 35-40 hours a week anyway.

Turned out that a spot opened up in the office shortly after I started so I was trained for that and then they took me on full time, doing the billing, collections and accounts receivable stuff. Was there almost 6 years, over the time I picked up more and more duties as other people left/got laid off. A few months ago I got another AR admin position at another landscaping company purely based on my experience in my first job.

I have no degree, the one I had started to do was in physics anyway, not accounting. I had no desire to be an accountant, even though my work in benefits in the UK had somewhat of a mathematical component for calculating entitlements/deductions. I just sort of fell into it but now I have 6+ years of experience in the field and for many places (in this area and not all, I might add) - five years of experience is acceptable in place of a bachelors degree.

It can be done, starting over, but one has to have a degree of patience (pun not intended) and be prepared to make not great money with not much time off in the beginning. Keep your head down and don't rock the boat either - loads of people seem to love getting involved in all sorts of drama in the office. Over the years I've seen many of them get shitcanned without a second thought. I just do what I am told and deal with it - it seems to have worked out so far
Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Jolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really nice

Thanks for the replies and advice, guys. It's comforting to read some positive stories from people who've "been there and done it". For those kind people who asked where I am I'm in San Diego, 92105, City Heights area. People like to tell me how "ghetto" this area is. There was a stabbing right outside my house last week and my street has a few halfway houses which make for some colourful neighbours. I walk everywhere because I don't have my license--the locals seem to think I'm taking a risk in doing so. It doesn't seem too bad here though. Certainly a far cry from the small Rutland town I grew up in. Anyway, I'm getting off subject. I'm determined to make it here and I know I'll find my way through.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 3:44 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jolly1
Thanks for the replies and advice, guys. It's comforting to read some positive stories from people who've "been there and done it". For those kind people who asked where I am I'm in San Diego, 92105, City Heights area. People like to tell me how "ghetto" this area is. There was a stabbing right outside my house last week and my street has a few halfway houses which make for some colourful neighbours. I walk everywhere because I don't have my license--the locals seem to think I'm taking a risk in doing so. It doesn't seem too bad here though. Certainly a far cry from the small Rutland town I grew up in. Anyway, I'm getting off subject. I'm determined to make it here and I know I'll find my way through.
You will do good, you have determination and ambition
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 4:41 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a few. Most of them swim the Rio Grande or get dropped off in the desert in the states east of you, but there might still be some who manage to get through in your area?

True, you got here 'legally' (didin't you?), but based on the qualifications you present those I've described are your competition for a job.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Jolly1
I'm interested to know if anyone has arrived in the US (especially recently) without any qualifications, a trade or a profession and has had to begin here completely from scratch.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And the answer is to outperform your coworkers consistently, with a goal of becoming indispensable if possible, moving around internally, and gaining experience and qualifications/ certifications applicable to your role, .... and hope there isn't a last-in-first-out lay-off before a bunch of people join after you.
Or be a massive blagger and be so shit that you get upward promoted to get out of the way, until you're the one making the decisions

I laugh, but the missus and I know where that's actually been the case for two rather large corporations.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:38 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Or be a massive blagger and be so shit that you get upward promoted to get out of the way, until you're the one making the decisions

I laugh, but the missus and I know where that's actually been the case for two rather large corporations.
Just the two?
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 11:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Just the two?
Well plenty, but these two for epic incompetence on a epic scale
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 12:07 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
AKA the Dilbert Principle.