Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Starting from scratch.

Starting from scratch.

Old Jan 18th 2013, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Jolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really nice
Default Starting from scratch.

I'm interested to know if anyone has arrived in the US (especially recently) without any qualifications, a trade or a profession and has had to begin here completely from scratch. I expect the only Brits who could possibly be in this position must be trailing spouses. I left school at 17 and, uncertain what to do, fell into a dead end job. A few years later I met an American girl, we fell in love and, after 4 years of hopping the pond, married. I got my Cr1 in July 2012 and moved over to California. My wife works fulltime whilst doing her masters degree. I've got a whole lot of catching up to do. I've always wanted to continue my education but at the moment the most important thing is paying rent, bills ect. So I'm working at Popeyes and currently looking for a second job. Can't wait to take the next step up the ladder. So, any other expats in a similar boat?
Old Jan 18th 2013, 10:36 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting from scratch.

I got my CDL and went over the road. it sucked a lot. but was worthwhile. Eventually I found a local job that got me home every night. But it sure ain't easy.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 11:57 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jolly1
I'm interested to know if anyone has arrived in the US (especially recently) without any qualifications, a trade or a profession and has had to begin here completely from scratch. I expect the only Brits who could possibly be in this position must be trailing spouses. I left school at 17 and, uncertain what to do, fell into a dead end job. A few years later I met an American girl, we fell in love and, after 4 years of hopping the pond, married. I got my Cr1 in July 2012 and moved over to California. My wife works fulltime whilst doing her masters degree. I've got a whole lot of catching up to do. I've always wanted to continue my education but at the moment the most important thing is paying rent, bills ect. So I'm working at Popeyes and currently looking for a second job. Can't wait to take the next step up the ladder. So, any other expats in a similar boat?
Where are you in CA roughly!
There are plenty of jobs out there for go getters with no qualifications and with an english accent it can open a few doors for you!...where are you looking for work!
Old Jan 19th 2013, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

MarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really nice

yep, I can help if I knew what part of California you are from
Old Jan 19th 2013, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkCowan
yep, I can help if I knew what part of California you are from
San Diego......going by previous posts
Old Jan 19th 2013, 3:37 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

On the plus side, if you did have qualifications, they would likely not mean much here.
My meager qualifications have no bearing on the job(s) I got or, the work I do now. Been here 8 years.

I initially got work through temp agencies, that led to permanent, but I would not say it was the perfect solution.

ps. Trailing spouse normally refers to a spouse of a visa holder, often without work authorization, not the spouse of a usc, so consider yourself one step above

Last edited by RICH; Jan 19th 2013 at 3:48 am. Reason: no offense to trailng spouses!
Old Jan 19th 2013, 7:02 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I will be in this exact situation moving to GA later this year. The job I have now in the UK pays well but and is very technical but I don't have any qualifications as such. Ill be prepared to do anything (hello Walmart or other retail) but at 28 I don't want to be doing that forever. I'm thinking perhaps a law degree part-time after I have been resident long enough to qualify for financial aid.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 4:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

After a year in US you will get in state fees for college if you go (unless this has changed recently) If I were you I'd think about what you want to be career wise and start doing classes towards that at a local junior college, it can be very part time so you can work around it and isn't as expensive as full on 4 year college. You can always transfer on to 4 year once you complete a bunch of classes that will transfer on for a degree. Or get a technical training of some sort, those schools can be expensive but also can be shorter, so like Mac did truck driving, or HVAC lots to choose from.
But decide what you want to be before throwing money at classes.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Which zipcode are you in? (I'm in 92117)
Old Jan 20th 2013, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

Can't wait to take the next step up the ladder. So, any other expats in a similar boat?
I arrived without a job, or any particular skills. In the UK I had simply been lucky to find a high paying job, without a profession. Within a month of arriving in Arizona I found a job. It was very easy, and if you look on craigslist there are countless jobs on offer. If you seem credible in interview, you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by Manc
I got my CDL and went over the road. it sucked a lot. but was worthwhile. Eventually I found a local job that got me home every night. But it sure ain't easy.
I've considering going down the CDL route in future myself, because driving work appeals to me. Why did it suck?
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:40 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Done it.
First thing I did was quit a minimum wage factory job and get a GED (at age 30). My O-levels mean nothing here.
It then took two yrs on one income whilst I went fulltime to a college for an AAS.
At the time we bought a house and started a family too.
Then I did 8yrs of night classes whilst working fulltime as a draughtsman.
Got a BSci and have had work since then.

I suggest you return to England and take your wife with you after she's finished her degree. Yank companies treat their employees like dirt.

Seriously.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

Or find an industry/trade that values it's employees.

I've been treated very well by the four different US corporations I worked for in the last ten years.

Originally Posted by Xebedee
I suggest you return to England and take your wife with you after she's finished her degree. Yank companies treat their employees like dirt.

Seriously.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 3:04 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I just got a new job as a marketing director and the position required a Bachelors degree which I do not have but I applied regardless and beat out 62other applicants
I have always found it much easier to get work in the US prospective employers are very receptive, don't sell yourself short, apply for jobs and if you are not qualified enough, explain in detail why you feel you are the right fit, email and snail mail your application with a photo, I know there are a few on BE that are against the photo suggestion, but I have always been praised for having the initiative to send mine.

Nothing wrong with Popeyes good on ya it's a job, but Craigslist and Indeed are your friends......Good Luck
Old Jan 20th 2013, 5:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrisdc
Or find an industry/trade that values it's employees.

I've been treated very well by the four different US corporations I worked for in the last ten years.
Until you become surplus to requirements. They can change on you very quickly...overnight even.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 5:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Until you become surplus to requirements. They can change on you very quickly...overnight even.
And the answer is to outperform your coworkers consistently, with a goal of becoming indispensable if possible, moving around internally, and gaining experience and qualifications/ certifications applicable to your role, .... and hope there isn't a last-in-first-out lay-off before a bunch of people join after you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.