Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Standard Grades/GCSE's

Standard Grades/GCSE's

Old Apr 18th 2008, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Liamilano is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Standard Grades/GCSE's

all im trying to do is to get into a basic community college in florida ive got 8 standard grades at good grades, my certificate is being sent to world education services to transfer it to its american equivalent is there anyone been in the same position or has knowledge on whether this is enough?
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

kel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Leyther
If you got your Bachelors in the U.K. then is there a reason why you are concerned about your A-levels? Since the requirements for the majority of Graduate schools are that you have a Bachelors Degree or equivilent - your degree from the U.K. should be an equivilent, although it wouldn't hurt to get it checked out, I know there are services out there which would 'translate' your U.K. degree into what it is worth here.

You could also contact the university or visit their website and look at the admission page - you may find more useful information in the international student section of the website for qualification requirements than you would for general admission.

I already live here Northern CO I am on a H4 so bugger all else to to - I am going to AIMS Greeley as its cheaper than say CSU and close to home.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:07 pm
The destruct-a-bunny

weazie will become famous soon enoughweazie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Leyther
If you got your Bachelors in the U.K. then is there a reason why you are concerned about your A-levels? Since the requirements for the majority of Graduate schools are that you have a Bachelors Degree or equivilent - your degree from the U.K. should be an equivilent, although itwouldn't hurt to get it checked out, I know there are services out there which would 'translate' your U.K. degree into what it is worth here.
Originally Posted by rochdalediva
There are various companies that do a "US Equivalency" report. Basically translate your qualifications into numbers the Americans can understand. The one I used was www.wes.org, it's been a while so I can't remember how much it cost.
But they turned my GCSEs into a High School diploma, two Math A levels into one semester of undergraduate study, and a HND into a Batchelor's degree. go figure!.
Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Are jobs you are applying for require this kind of documentation? If not, IMHO it's probably not worthwhile paying for this because the results can vary since the companies who provide such services are not regulated.
I'm not concerned, just interested. I had such a hard time finding a job with my A levels and UK degree,which employees just weren't willing to try and understand, and I found this so frustrating because i consider my biology degree to very much equivalent and maybe more in depth than the US biology degree. It makes me happy to see that A-levels are considered college standard in some cases

I did find a job eventually, but I would definitely say go for the translation if you can afford it (which i couldn't)