Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Standard Grades/GCSE's

Standard Grades/GCSE's

Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Liamilano is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Standard Grades/GCSE's

im trying to get my qualifications transfered to their american equivalent does anyone know how standard grades are normally looked at
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Standard Grades/GCSE's

Originally Posted by Liamilano
im trying to get my qualifications transfered to their american equivalent does anyone know how standard grades are normally looked at
GED perhaps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GED

No direct comparison ....
Old Apr 17th 2008, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I usually tell people they are my high school graduation grades. They're of very little importance anyway so that is all anyone ever needed to know.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

When I applied to the university here in Denver, one of the requirements was that I must have a High-School Diploma or equivalent, my GCSEs were the equivalent and they are not much use here beyond that.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:21 pm
The destruct-a-bunny

weazie will become famous soon enoughweazie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Leyther
When I applied to the university here in Denver, one of the requirements was that I must have a High-School Diploma or equivalent, my GCSEs were the equivalent and they are not much use here beyond that.
So A-levels can be counted as college level then?
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by weazie
So A-levels can be counted as college level then?
A-levels again, are not of any great importance when it comes to gaining admission to a university in the U.S. Also they are not a requirement for the majority of colleges and universities here. It is considered to be slightly less than an Associates Degree. Having A-levels may allow you to either CLEP (test out of) a few of the required classes for an Associates Degree, or they may count your A-levels as partial credit. It really depends on the college/university and which A-levels you took.

Last edited by Leyther; Apr 17th 2008 at 10:42 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:49 pm
The destruct-a-bunny

weazie will become famous soon enoughweazie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Leyther
A-levels again, are not of any great importance when it comes to gaining admission to a university in the U.S. Also they are not a requirement for the majority of colleges and universities here. It is considered to be slightly less than an Associates Degree. Having A-levels may allow you to either CLEP (test out of) a few of the required classes for an Associates Degree, or they may count your A-levels as partial credit. It really depends on the college/university and which A-levels you took.
Thats interesting- thank you. I got my bachelors in the UK . (I'm living and working in the US, I'm a PR). I've been thinking about getting a masters here. I'm a bit worried about having to go through all the 'basic' courses because i never covered them in University: American Goverment, American Literature, Freshman Comp I worked at a community college bookstore for several months so I got used to all the 'basics'.

The fact that my hard-earned A-levels might mean something cheers me up!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

kel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to behold

The College I will be attending wouldnt even accept GCSE as a High School Diploma as they are taken at 16 so I had to take an accuplacer - which I have to admit was far more intense that GCSE's were
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

elliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud of

Thats interesting- thank you. I got my bachelors in the UK . (I'm living and working in the US, I'm a PR). I've been thinking about getting a masters here. I'm a bit worried about having to go through all the 'basic' courses because i never covered them in University: American Goverment, American Literature, Freshman Comp I worked at a community college bookstore for several months so I got used to all the 'basics'.

I'm in my first semester at a CC in FL, and my A levels didn't help me much- they were the equivalent of 26 hours credit (Associates degree is 60 hours).
My Biology could be substituted for a similar course, but the 'basic' courses such as Freshman comp, US Government, Speech etc couldn't be counted for as my A levels were not specific to those courses.

Very frustrating learning when to use capital letters and commas all over again (no joke) but it has to be done!!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

If you got your Bachelors in the U.K. then is there a reason why you are concerned about your A-levels? Since the requirements for the majority of Graduate schools are that you have a Bachelors Degree or equivilent - your degree from the U.K. should be an equivilent, although it wouldn't hurt to get it checked out, I know there are services out there which would 'translate' your U.K. degree into what it is worth here.

You could also contact the university or visit their website and look at the admission page - you may find more useful information in the international student section of the website for qualification requirements than you would for general admission.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kel.n.issy
The College I will be attending wouldnt even accept GCSE as a High School Diploma as they are taken at 16 so I had to take an accuplacer - which I have to admit was far more intense that GCSE's were
I just spotted that you are moving to Colorado, which college are you attending?
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

rochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to all

There are various companies that do a "US Equivalency" report. Basically translate your qualifications into numbers the Americans can understand. The one I used was www.wes.org, it's been a while so I can't remember how much it cost.
But they turned my GCSEs into a High School diploma, two Math A levels into one semester of undergraduate study, and a HND into a Batchelor's degree. go figure!.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:50 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Are jobs you are applying for require this kind of documentation? If not, IMHO it's probably not worthwhile paying for this because the results can vary since the companies who provide such services are not regulated.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

rochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Are jobs you are applying for require this kind of documentation? If not, IMHO it's probably not worthwhile paying for this because the results can vary since the companies who provide such services are not regulated.
At the time I was applying for jobs in Illinois schools and they required the equivalency report and provided a list of approved companies on their web site http://www.isbe.net/certification/ht...credential.htm
of which WES is one.
But you're right depending upon the job it may not be worth the cash. However since then I've also found it a lot easier having something Americans could relate too rather than trying to explain the UK educational system.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:35 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rochdalediva
At the time I was applying for jobs in Illinois schools and they required the equivalency report and provided a list of approved companies on their web site http://www.isbe.net/certification/ht...credential.htm
of which WES is one.
But you're right depending upon the job it may not be worth the cash. However since then I've also found it a lot easier having something Americans could relate too rather than trying to explain the UK educational system.
It also depends on how well you can write your resume/CV in American terms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.