Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

St Patrick's Day

Wikiposts

St Patrick's Day

Old Mar 16th 2010, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: St Patrick's Day

Originally Posted by Dan725
As ironporer says, its just an excuse for a pissup. Noone really cares about the Irish link, other than that. Have fun!
It's not just a piss up for people round where I live. They've all got Shamrocks on the doors, and all the kids wear green to school that day.

Maybe i'm just a miserable sod but it all seems a bit stupid to me. Not the piss up bit, I'm well up for that. I mean all the other nonsense.

For the last month everytime I go in a shop there's a whole section with green St Patrick's Day t-shirts, hats, etc. Do people really buy that crap just for one day of the year?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 3:42 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangemirror
It's not just a piss up for people round where I live. They've all got Shamrocks on the doors, and all the kids wear green to school that day.

Maybe i'm just a miserable sod but it all seems a bit stupid to me. Not the piss up bit, I'm well up for that. I mean all the other nonsense.

For the last month everytime I go in a shop there's a whole section with green St Patrick's Day t-shirts, hats, etc. Do people really buy that crap just for one day of the year?
I do most of my shopping at Walmart (apart from convenience stores, it is the only decent store within 50 miles of here.) I notice that the poorer the people, the more money they seem to spend on totally useless, holiday-related crap??
Old Mar 16th 2010, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

They've all got Shamrocks on the doors, and all the kids wear green to school that day.
To defend them from being hit for not wearing green I always made sure the kids had something green for school. OH likes corned beef and it's on sale so we always have some about this time. The rest of the celebrations they can keep.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 4:11 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's March 16 today. That means it's St. Urho's Day, so I'll be posting the rest of the day from the pub, drinking Sahti, reciting the Ode to St. Urho and toasting with a loud Heinäsirkka, heinäsirkka, mene täältä hiiteen!

Unfortunately the parade, just like it is every year, was canceled.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by robin1234
I do most of my shopping at Walmart (apart from convenience stores, it is the only decent store within 50 miles of here.) I notice that the poorer the people, the more money they seem to spend on totally useless, holiday-related crap??
The t-shirts even have 2010 on them so thay are literally good for one day!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 4:20 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

That won't stop them from continuing to wear them, ie band concert tour tees,
Old Mar 16th 2010, 4:22 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

The pub I occasionally play in is still using their 2008 Paddy's day pint glasses. No expense spared there . . .

Hopefully the beer they put in isn't the 2008 beer
Old Mar 16th 2010, 4:30 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
I've noticed this too. As soon as one faux holiday is done, you get a day of the crap being reduced to half price, a day at quarter price, then the shite for the next holiday goes up.

God help you if, like round our way, you get snow after Valentine's day, because all the ice melt is gone, replaced by barbecues, Paddy's day and Easter.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 4:34 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

We drove past a house at the weekend that had their entire perimeter fence covered with "tacky" plastic shamrocks, I did point out to my OH that if I was going to go to that much effort I would at least remove the white sticky price labels so they weren't showing in my display - it only added to the "tackiness!!!"
Old Mar 16th 2010, 4:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
It's as good an excuse to go get drunk as any I suppose; as good as Cinco de Mayo (even though were not Mexicans).
If people just got pissed up that would be fine, but to suddenly become Irish all of a sudden and drink Guinness the one time is a bit daft.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 4:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
That won't stop them from continuing to wear them, ie band concert tour tees,
band t-shirts are cool though
Old Mar 16th 2010, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

I decided to have some sport on saturday night as I was sick of hearing 'St Patty'

I was talking to Josh an american friend........
Josh 'So are you coming out for St Patty's?'
Me 'Who's St Patty?'
Josh 'You know it's Irish, St Patty's day'
Me 'Oh I know yes. St Patty. I've heard of her a bit like Mother Teresa wasn't she, no I wont be coming out'

I was then faced with that blank look before he wondered off no doubt to google who is the female St Patty
Old Mar 16th 2010, 6:01 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing worse than having to bartend or waitress in an Irish bar in NYC on St. Patty's day! You get a bunch of out of town morons who are drunk and throwing up by noon and starting fights. I have worked in several and it's just no fun. The place I work in now doesn't get the Patty's Day crowd Thank God!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 6:06 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
To defend them from being hit for not wearing green I always made sure the kids had something green for school. OH likes corned beef and it's on sale so we always have some about this time. The rest of the celebrations they can keep.
I used to get annoyed over it, St Patrick being English, the plastic paddies etc.
Now I just go along and have a bit of fun.

The important question that needs to be asked: where can I find real corned beef over here? Can it be purchased? I haven't had that stuff for years. It's tempting...
Old Mar 16th 2010, 6:09 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I used to get annoyed over it, St Patrick being English, the plastic paddies etc.
Now I just go along and have a bit of fun.

The important question that needs to be asked: where can I find real corned beef over here? Can it be purchased? I haven't had that stuff for years. It's tempting...
What do you mean, English?? He was British...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.