Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

St Patrick's Day

St Patrick's Day

Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Patrick's Day

Originally Posted by robin1234
Either (1) It actually was better in the 1950s or (2) we were so hungry back then it tasted better. But I used to love it, now it tastes rather high in salts, nitrates and excess coloring.
I still buy it occasionally, it makes a yummy 'tater hash'...the white stuff on the sides of it is actually fat and it really does add to the taste
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:06 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Little marshmallow-y ducklings/chicks. Yellow/blue/pink spongy things covered in sugar. Quite nice really!

You'll have seen them in the shops I'd be prepared to bet.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:06 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
We bought it one time; it reeked of canned dogfood and made me want to puke.
OMG - that is what my dogs food reminded me of, I wondered why it smelt familiar the first time I gave it to her - OMG - barf............
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:08 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

That is corned beef out of the can. Typically from Brazil, Uruguay or Argentina. You can get that in the Caribbean or hispanic section in supermarkets in the US. Traditional staple of 1950s era British cuisine.

(EDIT: Yes it has LOTS of flavor. So much you could vomit after eating the whole can on your own.)
I like Spam. It makes wonderful sandwiches when you smoosh it all up and add a bit of mayo and mustard-Spam salad,
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:17 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I like Spam. It makes wonderful sandwiches when you smoosh it all up and add a bit of mayo and mustard-Spam salad,
I note that you have not claimed spam and corned beef to be the same, but just in case thats what you think..... they may both be disgusting, but they have different texture, taste and reported meat of origin.

edit: mustard-spam salad. get that image out of my head
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:19 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Or delicious Spam sushi

Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:25 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

its quite the staple in Korean Kimbab

but so are Spam gift packs

Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:26 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I note that you have not claimed spam and corned beef to be the same, but just in case thats what you think..... they may both be disgusting, but they have different texture, taste and reported meat of origin.

edit: mustard-spam salad. get that image out of my head
I've never seen canned corned beef, the only way I've seen or had it is like the pic Leslie showed. Boiled in a big pot with potatos, carrots and cabbage.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:27 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

DH didn't know it came that way, he'd only ever had it out of a can.
That's 'cos that stuff isn't corned beef. It's salt beef.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not a fan of corned beef at all, unless it is made into hash. Canned CB Hash isn't bad at all. I'm a pastrimi girl, myself.

I love jelly beans but damn disappointed this year not to have found anyone that sells bags of just the licorice jelly beans
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen canned corned beef, the only way I've seen or had it is like the pic Leslie showed. Boiled in a big pot with potatos, carrots and cabbage.

No, you need to place it in a large roaster with beer and then roast it. As nice and tender, at least DH tells me it is. That's how they made it down at the club on St. Paddy's Day for our dinner/dance.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

That is corned beef out of the can. Typically from Brazil, Uruguay or Argentina. You can get that in the Caribbean or hispanic section in supermarkets in the US. Traditional staple of 1950s era British cuisine.
My mum used to make corned beef sandwiches for my school packed lunch in the 80's. I loved it, just bread, butter and a few slices of corned beef. Haven't had it for years but right now I'm craving some!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I love jelly beans but damn disappointed this year not to have found anyone that sells bags of just the licorice jelly beans
I love anything licorice flavored
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:40 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
No, you need to place it in a large roaster with beer and then roast it. As nice and tender, at least DH tells me it is. That's how they made it down at the club on St. Paddy's Day for our dinner/dance.
I've done it both ways and have to say the roaster is better. I use water though - not beer. I don't like beer in food but that's just me ...
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:43 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangemirror
My mum used to make corned beef sandwiches for my school packed lunch in the 80's. I loved it, just bread, butter and a few slices of corned beef. Haven't had it for years but right now I'm craving some!
You and me both! Usually all I got was ham 'n cheese so I was happy when the corned beef made an appearance.

The addition of a little bit of HP sauce is nice as well, if you like that sort of thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.