punt him in the balls when you open the door
no no - he was really rather sweet
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:55 am
Account Closed

Britgal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: St Patricks Day

Originally Posted by Bob
punt him in the balls when you open the door
Hang on - come to think of it - was it green - it may have been white !!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 2:42 am
Loving the Pacific NW

Location: From Kildare, Ireland to Vancouver, BC to Portland, Oregon
Boylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud of

I am going to NYC for it. Leave Wednesday and back Tuesday. I am meeting 7 of my Irish friends there. Should be a few days of debauchery!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:50 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Got our Corned beef and cabbage, a nice bottle of whiskey is always in the cupboard (no green beer thank you)...we are ready to be Irish for a day!!

And I know corned beef is not Irish... but I just love it, even though it's 50%fat!!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by para22
Is it only me, or does it get up anyone else's nose the way the yanks celebrate St Patricks Day.

Dont get me wrong, Ive nothing against the irish.
I did 6 tours over there, and at one time was even engaged to an irish girl.

But what really pisses me off, are the clowns over here, who will tell you they are ' Irish' and they've never even seen the sky over I.

These are the same wallies, who ride around in a truck with a plate on the front announcing 'God made the Irish # 1"

They seem to have some romantic notion about the irish, that they are a downtrodden nation existing in the shadow of the UK;

Or if its not Ireland, they'll tell you the are a fifth Scottish, a fifth Ukranian, one tenth portugese, need I go on?

Any thoughts anyone, or am i out of order?
I had this discussion y/day when my kids came home from school asking what Irish games they could play at their party at school. How the heck should I know? Apparently DS's teacher thought I would know.

Anyway, thinking of the other thread on this subject, I asked my son how many Irish were in his class? "Most of them are Irish!" he said. Oh yeah, they're immigrants like me then? He looked confused. "No". Oh their parents are? "No. They are part Irish". Well what about having parties for the people that are part Polish, part Italian, part Scottish? If you're going to celebrate heritage, why be exclusive to Irish heritage?
I just don't understand the whole thing here or why people would wish me a Happy St Patrick's Day. Huh?

I've nothing against the Irish celebrating it. I celebrate St George's & spend the day being obnoxiously patriotic.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
My DH hails from Glasgow and still has the "accent" which usually triggers the family tree discussion. I've got to say that I am enormously impressed with just how active the Scots were in going forth and multiplying so many Americans. No wonder they all looked so tired.
LOL. My Scottish fiance always gets the family tree thing too - no wait - CLAN of course. Drives him nuts. However, the person who insisted on blasting bagpipe music at full volume through dinner was worse. Sadly, he's losing his accent, and hasn't even moved over here yet. I keep saying he'll have to regularly call his mum for speech therapy.

St. Patricks here is just an excuse for a party and corned beef on sale. mmmm... Ruebens!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:53 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
I had this discussion y/day when my kids came home from school asking what Irish games they could play at their party at school. How the heck should I know? Apparently DS's teacher thought I would know.

Anyway, thinking of the other thread on this subject, I asked my son how many Irish were in his class? "Most of them are Irish!" he said. Oh yeah, they're immigrants like me then? He looked confused. "No". Oh their parents are? "No. They are part Irish". Well what about having parties for the people that are part Polish, part Italian, part Scottish? If you're going to celebrate heritage, why be exclusive to Irish heritage?
I just don't understand the whole thing here or why people would wish me a Happy St Patrick's Day. Huh?

I've nothing against the Irish celebrating it. I celebrate St George's & spend the day being obnoxiously patriotic.
People keep asking me what special things we do for St Patricks day. They are very surprised when I tell them we don't do anything because we are English. Then I mention Saints George, Andrew and David and they look even more stunned.
Usually someone will say that they expect Britain has massive St Patricks Day celebrations. I've never noticed.
Then we go through the "50,000 years ago one of my aunts,cousins,mothers toenails moved here from Ireland and so I'm Irish" and of course you can substitute any nationality for Irish.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by para22
Is it only me, or does it get up anyone else's nose the way the yanks celebrate St Patricks Day.

Dont get me wrong, Ive nothing against the irish.
I did 6 tours over there, and at one time was even engaged to an irish girl.

But what really pisses me off, are the clowns over here, who will tell you they are ' Irish' and they've never even seen the sky over I.

These are the same wallies, who ride around in a truck with a plate on the front announcing 'God made the Irish # 1"

They seem to have some romantic notion about the irish, that they are a downtrodden nation existing in the shadow of the UK;

Or if its not Ireland, they'll tell you the are a fifth Scottish, a fifth Ukranian, one tenth portugese, need I go on?

Any thoughts anyone, or am i out of order?
haha para this made me laugh...you'd better get used to it...it's one of the reasons i with a lot of others say the americans are ott

lots of houses here decorated with all the wreaths, bells and whistles you could imagine for st paddy's day ...simply no taste whatsoever imo.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jumping doris
People keep asking me what special things we do for St Patricks day. They are very surprised when I tell them we don't do anything because we are English. Then I mention Saints George, Andrew and David and they look even more stunned.
Usually someone will say that they expect Britain has massive St Patricks Day celebrations. I've never noticed.
Then we go through the "50,000 years ago one of my aunts,cousins,mothers toenails moved here from Ireland and so I'm Irish" and of course you can substitute any nationality for Irish.
when is it doris? i know it's imminent coz the decorations on the houses are going up fast
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:59 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
when is it doris? i know it's imminent coz the decorations on the houses are going up fast
I was about to say..no idea but then I realised it's this saturday. We are going out and the people we are seeing didn't know if we would be able to make it as it's St P's day and they thought we would be celebrating, being as we are British.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:10 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

I was about to say..no idea but then I realised it's this saturday. We are going out and the people we are seeing didn't know if we would be able to make it as it's St P's day and they thought we would be celebrating, being as we are British.
Think its Friday. Work are having a pot luck. Have planned to take the day off to avoid the stupid questions and plastic paddy wannabees
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:18 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, can just imagine what the Mexican-expat message boards are saying about Cinco de Mayo....
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

ok tks..i'll be in blighty so no worries.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby got his first green pint of Bud yesterday!
He was not a happy camper as he was in the Dallas Rangers Supporters Club watching his team at the time. The look on his face was great. He soon changed his drink of choice to Shiner!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Glos2PA will become famous soon enough

This happened to me twice yesterday! A bloke came round to inspect our deck, complimented me on my "cute" English accent and said he was sure I'd be looking forward to celebrating St Paddy's Day. Then my new next door neighbour introduced herself and told me she was German so we'd have something in common. Turns out some uncle of hers had once been to Germany!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.