Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

St Patricks Day

St Patricks Day

Old Feb 11th 2007, 8:59 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Patricks Day

Originally Posted by Paul S
That wasn't Dave in Edinburgh was it????????

I've met him
yeah how did you know

(I edited for you )
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul S
That wasn't Dave in Edinboro was it????????

I've met him
oh yeah that dave.... i'd forgotten about him...he was in my class at school
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:17 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by choppi
The only corned beef I ate once or twice when I lived back in NI was that out of a can and it smelt like cat food

BigDavyG - did you know that St. Patrick was buried in Downpatrick? I did climb Slemish mountain several times on St. Patrick's day to see where it was claimed that St. Patrick banished all the snakes from Ireland. It was always cold and wet on those days
Hello Choppi

He's meant to be buried in Downpatrick under that big stone but lots of people dispute that.
Slemish always seems to have a big cloud over it, but it is a funny looking mountain, isn't it ??

As for the corned beef I thought it wasn't bad with a salad - nice with salad cream
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

choppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to all

Me mum used to make sandwiches for me da and mix brown sauce (ie. HP Sauce) with it!!
Old Feb 11th 2007, 10:29 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by choppi
Me mum used to make sandwiches for me da and mix brown sauce (ie. HP Sauce) with it!!
Was going to mention that too - I never liked it but I know lots of people who did.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 11:03 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Exactly Robert,

"I'm Italian......"
Really? When did you move here then?
"uh, er......well I'm Italian descent......."

Substitute Irish, Scottish, German, Polish........etc

Funny how you never hear "I'm an English American though" ........wonder why
That's great - I must start asking that question whenever some Yank comes out with this type of line!

My wife's German - (I mean really German!) - and when people find out they usually say, "Oh - so does she speak any German then?". Still haven't come up with a smart answer to this one...
Old Feb 11th 2007, 11:09 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's the devil spawn...along with all other holidays...it was pretty big up in maine where we use to live, but then there were a few paddies there at least...

I'm worried about it this year, being this close to beantown...the home of the plastic paddy...or is that chicago?
I've been rubbing shoulders with the 'plastic paddys' in plastic paddy pubs the last couple of weekends - places which I usually avoid at all costs (because of the plastic bit, not the Irish bit) - in order to watch Wales in the Six nations. Was actually surprised at how many genuine Irish there were in attendance... Even a couple of Welsh (plus Yanks in Welsh shirts!!!)

And before anyone starts - yes, Wales have been extraordinarily shite so far...
Old Feb 12th 2007, 12:06 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

My DH hails from Glasgow and still has the "accent" which usually triggers the family tree discussion. I've got to say that I am enormously impressed with just how active the Scots were in going forth and multiplying so many Americans. No wonder they all looked so tired.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob

And before anyone starts - yes, Wales have been extraordinarily shite so far...

I've been d/loading them and watching the England games at work and doing my best to not hear the results till after I've seen the England game, so I'm none the wiser, but it was a cracking opening week
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:22 am
Loving the Pacific NW

Location: From Kildare, Ireland to Vancouver, BC to Portland, Oregon
Boylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud of

Well I am off to New York for Paddy's week to meet 7 of my Irish friends who coming in for it. I for one can't wait. Paddy's day is always better away for Ireland for some reason and I reckon NYC is the best city in the world to be in for the day.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

As a Scot, I try and ignore all the St Paddy's day nonsense that you get round here. It just goes over the top. There's never a word about St Andrews Day (probably to near to Thanksgiving) or even St Georges Day or St Davids Day.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
As a Scot, I try and ignore all the St Paddy's day nonsense that you get round here. It just goes over the top. There's never a word about St Andrews Day (probably to near to Thanksgiving) or even St Georges Day or St Davids Day.
Too true...most don't even realise that there are patron saints for the other nations that I've spoken too...but then why would they.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

so now that's it on our doorstep, again...anyone doing anything for it?
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:40 am
Account Closed

Britgal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
so now that's it on our doorstep, again...anyone doing anything for it?
Well - the little guy dressed in green that visited last year said he was coming back to see me - so i might get dressed up for that
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Britgal
Well - the little guy dressed in green that visited last year said he was coming back to see me - so i might get dressed up for that
punt him in the balls when you open the door

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.