Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SSN, What to do?

SSN, What to do?

Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all
Default Re: SSN, What to do?

I hope you won't mind my piggy-backing on this thread, having come over from a related thread elsewhere. My wife is in a similar situation to the one described here. She received her work permit in May and we were thrilled that it had come after a very long wait. She then went to apply for her SSN on May 8. They sent off the paper work to homeland security, saying we'd have to wait two months, and we have heard no more.

We are encouraged very much that it seems that she can work with the SSN pending, so many thanks for the advice on this one. But one question: the job she has been offered will effectively be a self-employed one (works on a contract basis for an employer). Should we have any further worries about going ahead as a self-employed while we wait for the SSN? Very many thanks
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:08 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goodacre
Should we have any further worries about going ahead as a self-employed while we wait for the SSN? Very many thanks
No need to worry.

But I would definitely follow up on that SSN - 2 months is ridiculous. Insist you speak to a supervisor.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:17 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goodacre
We are encouraged very much that it seems that she can work with the SSN pending, so many thanks for the advice on this one. But one question: the job she has been offered will effectively be a self-employed one (works on a contract basis for an employer). Should we have any further worries about going ahead as a self-employed while we wait for the SSN? Very many thanks
hi again,
I don't know how much you know about Social Security and the purpose of the number in the larger scheme of things. It's really just a tax reporting ID number (but it's become so much more!).

I will just stick in here that you should make sure that you understand what being self-employed means from a tax standpoint. As a contractor, your wife has specific labor rules to follow (rather, the employer does--wife needs to make sure she's not being taken for a ride) and she will pay all of her own SS contributions, as well as er, whatchit.. FICA/Medicare. Employers normally pay half, and half is deducted from the employee.

SI tax is quite a bit higher than normal employment witholding, and she may be required to make quarterly income tax payments.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:19 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
hi again, ..........SI tax is quite a bit higher than normal employment witholding, and she may be required to make quarterly income tax payments.
Very true... :curse:

Around 50% of my income goes on taxes of various kinds...
Old Jul 24th 2007, 7:48 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

If You Are Self-Employed:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10022.html

Publication 334 (2006), Tax Guide for Small Business:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p334/index.html

Small Business Forms and Publications:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=99200,00.html

I agree it's time to head back into the SSA office were she applied and be sure that she takes her documents.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all

That's brilliant; thanks so much for the help. Having knowledgeable people here to talk to is fantastic.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meauxna
Employer can pay him and use a dummy number!
Then go back and fill in a corrected wage statement as detailed above.

Poor kid.. should be getting his paycheck! That isn't right, and it's just becasue the employer can't be bothered to learn something new. Gentle pressure time, IMO.
No SSN yet, almost 3 months since he applied for it, tried calling all the SSA and USCIS offices but no one is answering, they will let me hold then will cut off after a while. Kept trying for so many times, same thing.
My son employer said they are not allowed to put dummy numbers and my son is still not receiving his pay(salary and commission), been working hard for 2 months already.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mdyoung
If that's where the verification request was sent you would at least have a chance of getting some useful information by calling the verification office, i.e. did they receive anything from that SSA office for your son.
they are not answering the phone, I have left messages but they are not calling back.
Is it worth going to SSA state regional office to inquire? I think the local office can't do anything about it, or are they the one issuing the number?

Last edited by abboy; Jul 24th 2007 at 10:33 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abboy
No SSN yet, almost 3 months since he applied for it, tried calling all the SSA and USCIS offices but no one is answering, they will let me hold then will cut off after a while. Kept trying for so many times, same thing.
My son employer said they are not allowed to put dummy numbers and my son is still not receiving his pay(salary and commission), been working hard for 2 months already.
bah.. the employer is *so* wrong (legal? hmm)
It all comes down to how much you want to antagonize them.

Have you follwed mdyoung's suggestions about how to follow up with the document verification? You will likely have to go INTO an SSA office and speak with a manager.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

There are phone numbers to call in POMS to follow up on the secondary verification if no response is received and there are contact numbers for each local verification office if the G-845 has been sent. Still SSA can't make DHS/USCIS do anything.

Here is the archived SSA POMS section that lists all the local immigration verification offices and phone numbers.

http://web.archive.org/web/200503182...lnx/0100203748
I sent PM to you , not sure if you have received it.

I called the numbers but they told me its the wrong number and they dont have anything to do with SSN.

Do we need to start worrying that it is taking so long at this stage? or its just normal for some other people to wait this long?
Is it useful to go to the regional office to follow it up or talk to the regional manager?
Old Jul 27th 2007, 2:08 am

I sent PM to you , not sure if you have received it.

I called the numbers but they told me its the wrong number and they dont have anything to do with SSN.

Do we need to start worrying that it is taking so long at this stage? or its just normal for some other people to wait this long?
Is it useful to go to the regional office to follow it up or talk to the regional manager?
That section of POMS is what was on the Website before they removed it, so the numbers might have changed, but did you ask if they were doing status verifications for G-845s sent from SSA offices, because they have no idea the SSA office needs it for an SSN application.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

That section of POMS is what was on the Website before they removed it, so the numbers might have changed, but did you ask if they were doing status verifications for G-845s sent from SSA offices, because they have no idea the SSA office needs it for an SSN application.
The man who answered the phone was very rude. I started asking about SSN and status verifcation but before I can finish the sentence, the man just cut me off , with a raise voice and said he has nothing to do with SSN and hanged up. I called again to explain and asked him he could refer me to the correct department but he said he does not know and hanged up. I called the third time and asked him what department did I call and who am I talking to, he got upset and asked me who I am and where did I get the nos. he just simply said the number is wrong and wont give me his name and hanged up on me again.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 5:03 pm

TI talking to, he got upset and asked me who I am and where did I get the nos...
I guess that's why SSA took the numbers off the Website. It always struck me as funny that SSA offices have a sh*t fit if someone gives out the administrative number to a field office and they had the phone number off every status verification office posted on their Website.