Reload this Page >

I am a USC living in UK need info on I-130 visa

I am a USC living in UK need info on I-130 visa

Old Jul 25th 2007, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

haircutters is an unknown quantity at this point
Post I am a USC living in UK need info on I-130 visa

Hi out there,
I am USC with dual citizenship (US and Ireland), I am now resident in N. Ireland (UK) for past 5 years. Myself (male) and partner (female) are together for 3 years. My partner's decree absolute came through May 07, my absolute will be through Oct. 07. We wish to move to N. Carolina, have been researching into homes/ jobs etc. We plan to get married as soon as absolute arrives, we think getting married in UK and then applying for a spouse (I-130) form at London Embassy is the best and quickest route to take. We believe this process takes around 4-6 months (anyone with latest updates?), We hope to be stateside for Jan - March 08 ???. Does this sound about right?
Last question for now, my partner has 2 children from her previous marriage, age 11 - 18, we think we add there names to I-130 form, is this all we need to do for the children's visas?
Thanking you in advance, (for any helpfull advice given).
Paul
Old Jul 25th 2007, 11:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am a USC living in UK need info on I-130 visa

Originally Posted by haircutters
Hi out there,
I am USC with dual citizenship (US and Ireland), I am now resident in N. Ireland (UK) for past 5 years. Myself (male) and partner (female) are together for 3 years. My partner's decree absolute came through May 07, my absolute will be through Oct. 07. We wish to move to N. Carolina, have been researching into homes/ jobs etc. We plan to get married as soon as absolute arrives, we think getting married in UK and then applying for a spouse (I-130) form at London Embassy is the best and quickest route to take. We believe this process takes around 4-6 months (anyone with latest updates?), We hope to be stateside for Jan - March 08 ???. Does this sound about right?
Yes, I believe so.

Last question for now, my partner has 2 children from her previous marriage, age 11 - 18, we think we add there names to I-130 form, is this all we need to do for the children's visas?
I'm not sure about this one, but just want to mention that you should go ahead and get written proof that the children's father approves of them moving overseas.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 25th 2007, 11:49 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Hi out there,
Paul
I think 8-10 months is probably a more realistic timeline.

Does your partner have permission from the 11-year-old's father to move to the US.

I may be wrong but I thought separate petitions need to be filed for the children - they would be your step-children. Not sure about the adult child, whether the cut-off point is age 18 or 21. Have you read the instructions at the USCIS website?
Old Jul 25th 2007, 11:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I think 8-10 months is probably a more realistic timeline.
I think DCF is quicker than this. This sounds like the time frame for filing the I-130 in the USA.

Rene
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, I believe so.

I'm not sure about this one, but just want to mention that you should go ahead and get written proof that the children's father approves of them moving overseas.

Best Wishes,
Rene
That was quick. Good to know some of our info seems to be correct. As regards my partners 11 year old child, she has full custody from the court and their father stopped contact. Getting written permission could prove difficult, would trying to regain contact be really necessary?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:25 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi out there,
Paul

Paul, you should *really* consult with a family-based US immigration attorney regarding the older child.
Each person coming as an *immigrant* needs their own visa (and their own petition)--these are the visas available via the I-130-filed-in-London route.
However, there are age limits for creating the 'child' relationship required for you to be eligible to sponsor them.

There is a non-immigrant visa that the children can hitchike off their mother from (K-3 & K-4) that MAY offer a way for the family to stay together, but I am not familiar enough with the procedure to say it's thus and so.

I certainly encourage you to do MORE research, and consult an attorney (in the US via email is OK) before you file anything.

You should also do some research now on domicile, the I-864 and how you plan to financially sponsor the family.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi out there,
I am USC with dual citizenship (US and Ireland), I am now resident in N. Ireland (UK) for past 5 years. Myself (male) and partner (female) are together for 3 years. My partner's decree absolute came through May 07, my absolute will be through Oct. 07. We wish to move to N. Carolina, have been researching into homes/ jobs etc. We plan to get married as soon as absolute arrives, we think getting married in UK and then applying for a spouse (I-130) form at London Embassy is the best and quickest route to take.
Have you thought about getting your British citizenship before you leave the United Kingdom?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:36 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No one has touched on the fact that you will have difficulties getting a visa for the 18 year old. You need to have married your partner before the child's 18th birthday for him to be eligible to obtain a visa based on your marriage to his mother.

Please check it out with an immigration attorney.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 3:50 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
No one has touched on the fact that you will have difficulties getting a visa for the 18 year old.
Um, I hinted about it.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Um, I hinted about it.

I saw the age limit response but I wanted him aware of the fact that the marriage has had to occur before the child's 18th birthday for him to be included as a "step" child.

Since the brain is foggy and older than dirt these days, it would be very beneficial for him and his intended to consult with an immigration attorney before proceeding.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My first assumption is that the 18 year old will not be going, well anytime soon.

So the question arises if this as a deal breaker. Could try for a Student Visa but might be a bit of an ask.

I would go with the Lawyer route, set out our priorities and see what our options are.

Also wondering what British Citizenship would give you in addition to Irish.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 6:05 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
.......it would be very beneficial for him and his intended to consult with an immigration attorney before proceeding.
Definitely.

But the OP seems to have vanished...

Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elvira
Definitely.

But the OP seems to have vanished...

Cheers for all of the above. Will check in more regular, ya know how it is, lots to read up on.....Re-checked I-130 instruction sheet, who can file and who can't, looks like my error was future 'stepchild' not unmarried child under 21 years, we will now look into K3 - K4 as mentioned above. We will consult immigration lawyer shortly.
Can you get police certificate and medical done prior to filing? (believe they have expirey date of 1 year) Would you recommend this to save time? Will these checks only needed to be done for my future wife and children?
Thanks once again for your help.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:47 pm

Can you get police certificate and medical done prior to filing? (believe they have expirey date of 1 year) Would you recommend this to save time?
You can get the police certificate done ahead of time, takes about 45 days. You can't get the medical done until you receive word from the embassy to do so.

Will these checks only needed to be done for my future wife and children?
Thanks once again for your help.
I believe they also do a check on the USC.

Rene
Old Jul 27th 2007, 5:06 pm

we will now look into K3 - K4 as mentioned above. We will consult immigration lawyer shortly.
Understand that this is going to set your timeline out considerably.

No point in rushing on the medical (which you need Embassy permission to schedule anyway) or other visa details until you are clear on what you're doing and your proposed timeline.

Police certificate for immigrants; the USC's namecheck will be done internally when you file the I-130.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.