Reload this Page >

SSN for Newborn

SSN for Newborn

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:26 am
Just Joined

bueno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN for Newborn

Hi Guys

Can you tell me the procedure for a new born baby obtaining a SSN. If this normally done by the hospitals or do we need to go to the SS office to apply for it. Normally how long will it take?

Baby born in USA. Need SSN to apply for U.S. Passport. How long does this process also take

Regards
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

sudha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SSN for Newborn

Originally Posted by bueno
Hi Guys

Can you tell me the procedure for a new born baby obtaining a SSN. If this normally done by the hospitals or do we need to go to the SS office to apply for it. Normally how long will it take?

Baby born in USA. Need SSN to apply for U.S. Passport. How long does this process also take

Regards
You dont need to go to the SS office, you will get the card home. You have to get the mothers copy, from the hospital to apply for the birth certificate.

You will need the birth certificate to apply for passport, getting the passport is relatively quick. May be you may need around a month for the entire process... this is what I remember... been a while.....
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:43 am
Just Joined

How long does it take to get the SSN through if they send it automatically?
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 12:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Regards

Normally the card is sent in the mail. They obtain the information from the hospital and it is done automatically. You might want to check with the hospital as per their procedure.

From past experience with my three grandkids, it takes about a month.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:50 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Generally the procedure is in-hospital. Sometime during your first day or so they will give you a form for the birth certificate that has to be filled out, and there is often a 'checkbox' for Issue my Child a Social Security number. Fill all that out and give it back to the nurse.

The card arrives in 3-4 weeks, but in our state we had to specifically go to the courthouse to get a copy of the birth certificate (they didn't send it on).

Needless to say, you need to have a name selected for your newborn before you go in. My friend couldn't decide and left the hospital with 'Baby Girl Smith' basically and then had to go through a much more complicated process to get the name assigned after the birth, once his wife picked one.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Does anyone know the process in NJ?
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Our baby's SSN came automatically in the post too, about 3 or 4 weeks later. On the passport end paid for expedited for Ds#1 as we wanted to travel back to see family. I went to the health department myself and picked up his birth certificate so I could get it all done quicker.
Do you need a SSN for a passport application I don't even remember.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 6:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Usually the hospital will sort it out before your discharged, what happened for us, we got a form to fill in as we were admitted, babies name, our names, address and they filled in date of birth and hospital details and we had to double check it and sign it before we left the hospital.

Took about a month to receive the SSN card.

We also had to specify which town we wanted for birth certificate because we went to a hospital in a neighbouring town for the birth cert...we had to double check the info on that, sign it to allow the hospital to do the paper work.

About 10 days after getting home we went to the town hall and requested a copy of the birth certificate, was a few bucks a copy I think.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Need SSN to apply for U.S. Passport.
Errr...no.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Hi Guys

Regards
Hello

I don't think that we needed a SSN in order to get a passport; that just turned up in the mail after about a month.

I managed to get birth certificate and passport in 10 days from birth. That was quick and involved quite a few phonecalls and organisation (try taking a passport photo of a one week old!). We were on a plane from San Francisco to Sydney before our daughter was two weeks old so it can be done but is not necessarily recommended!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:26 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

you follow the procedure to get a birth registered and tick the box to get the ssn at the same time. The hospitals do it loads of time a day and can give best advice. I had a home birth and had to go and do the registration myself and i just ticked the relevant box and ssn arrived in the post a few weeks later.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Regards
You have received a message from the Big Giant Head:

I applied for my baby's Social Security number in the hospital but have not received it. How long must I wait?:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...php?p_faqid=74

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri...741.html#gen12

12. Do I have to provide my Social Security Number?

Section 6039E of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 6039E) requires you to provide your Social Security Number (SSN), if you have one, when you apply for a U.S. passport or renewal of a U.S. passport. If you have not been issued a SSN, enter zeros in box #5 of the passport application form you are completing.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:37 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, if you are paying US tax you get the deduction for the kid for the whole year even if they are born on December 31. You do need an SSN for the kid though.