Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SSN cards & post

SSN cards & post

Old Dec 3rd 2016, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

warwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default SSN cards & post

Hi
I wondered if anyone knew if the USPS will forward a SSN card?
Two weeks have passed since we were told our SSNs would be with us, as all went well at the application on 11/21 (am guessing thanksgiving delayed things a bit though). We are moving this weekend and I have set up mail forwarding from our temporary housing (which was the address used in the SSN form).
Checked the gov website and it says we should let them know if we move before we get our cards through, but I wondered if it's already on it's way will it be sent back to them by the mailman or posted into my new mail box by redirection. It's going to be a few days before we can go 'get in line' again to let them know. Also, is that likely to cause a long delay, as we really need my number now for some banking and work benefits 😬
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 4:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN cards & post

You don't need a SSN for either banking nor benefits.

Rene
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

warwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You don't need a SSN for either banking nor benefits.

Rene
Thanks for your comment, but I think my phraseology confused you. We have a bank account but they won't extend any credit to us without the number, and our employer needs the number for several work-related benefits.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 5:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

NO he doesn't. He can put in a temporary number, i.e. 000-00-000 and then give the social security numbers when they come through.

Not all US government mail is forwardable. Let social security know you new address.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

edenaries is an unknown quantity at this point

I wAs told by my bank that I can't apply for a credit card until my ss comes trough
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 3:40 pm
The Hamburgler Incarnate!

Karlosthecackle is an unknown quantity at this point

When i moved here I opened a checking account and "secured" credit card with Wells Fargo on the week we were here for home finding. Basically i gave WF $1000 of my money and that was my credit limit. It was about 9 months later they changed it over to a "normal" credit card and upped the limit.

I was advised not to even try and apply for a true credit card until i'd been here at least a year. If you've just moved here you won't have any credit rating and searches now will have a detrimental effect.

As for SSN again during my home finding week/visit i went to the local Social office early in the morning (first in the queue!) on the monday. i used my work address (as I didn't have a residence yet). It had arrived by Thursday that week!

EDIT TO SAY : To be clear, I didn't have my SSN when i opened my bank account and secured credit card... WF was my next stop after the Social Security Office
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Karlosthecackle
When i moved here I opened a checking account and "secured" credit card with Wells Fargo on the week we were here for home finding. Basically i gave WF $1000 of my money and that was my credit limit. It was about 9 months later they changed it over to a "normal" credit card and upped the limit.

I was advised not to even try and apply for a true credit card until i'd been here at least a year. If you've just moved here you won't have any credit rating and searches now will have a detrimental effect.

As for SSN again during my home finding week/visit i went to the local Social office early in the morning (first in the queue!) on the monday. i used my work address (as I didn't have a residence yet). It had arrived by Thursday that week!

EDIT TO SAY : To be clear, I didn't have my SSN when i opened my bank account and secured credit card... WF was my next stop after the Social Security Office

Thank you so much for the advice. I'm here with my husband and while he has his ss I have absolutely nothing.... I feel like an extra baggage with all the thinks I can't do :-( it just makes me want to go back and be normal again.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 7:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edenaries
Thank you so much for the advice. I'm here with my husband and while he has his ss I have absolutely nothing.... I feel like an extra baggage with all the thinks I can't do :-( it just makes me want to go back and be normal again.
Are you eligible for one? Some dependents on visas are not eligible for a social security number. Since you tacked your inquiry onto someone else's thread and didn't tell us about yourself and your visa, we have no way of knowing what is what.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Take a breather for a second.

Realistically right now the only thing you can't do without an SSN is get a state driving licence and an unsecured credit card.

If you're a permanent resident (or have employment authorization of some sort) then you can work without an SSN.

Aside from that, I'm not sure what your status is in the US, but are there other things you could be getting on with preparing? Like AOS forms?
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Aplogies I'm also new to the forum and trying to figure out what should I post and where. Without a ss I have not been able to open a credit card, I'm allowed to have a state driving licence and I joint bank account.
I've been told that at this stage I can't have a ss unless my husband employer apply for a green card for my husband (and I). With my visa I can study and do voluntary work but that's all.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Aplogies I'm also new to the forum and trying to figure out what should I post and where. Without a ss I have not been able to open a credit card, I'm allowed to have a state driving licence and I joint bank account.
I've been told that at this stage I can't have a ss unless my husband employer apply for a green card for my husband (and I). With my visa I can study and do voluntary work but that's all.
Has your husband's employer committed to this?
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 8:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It must be an H-4 visa? It helps if you actually tell us the visa type.

Rene
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tom169
Has your husband's employer committed to this?
He said he will...
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It must be an H-4 visa? It helps if you actually tell us the visa type.

Rene
Hi yes it is... note to myself be more specific :-)
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 8:42 pm
Concierge

Hi yes it is... note to myself be more specific :-)
Yes, you need to be specific. Each visa has its own conditions attached to it and the H visa for a spouse is called the visa from hell. No you are not eligible for a social security number/card and as such you are not eligible to get a credit card under your name.

I suppose you will have to be content with being a user under your husband's card if he is able to put you under it that is. If not, then you are forced into using your bank debit card for credit card purchases.

While his employer said he would initiate the processing of green cards for your spouse and you, he doesn't have to do so. And if he does, it takes time to go through the process.

It is unfortunate that your husband had to obtain a H visa to live and work in the US because it makes life miserable for you.

BTW be careful where you volunteer. Not all volunteer work is available for you. If it is a 'job' that someone else is being paid to do, then you cannot do it, even as a volunteer. That's my take on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.