Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SSN arrived!

SSN arrived!

Old Mar 15th 2004, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light
Talking SSN arrived!

/me does the "I've got a social security number" dance!

Only took 35 days

Now I can enroll in the company's healthcare scheme and, um, get paid!! (Not that they wouldn't pay me without it, it was just easier all round with a ssn, apparently)

Ooo.. tax forms...
Old Mar 15th 2004, 4:25 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Congrats Scorchio!
Old Mar 15th 2004, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Caligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really nice
Default Re: SSN arrived!

Scorchio That's Great...did you apply for your SS card using the DS-230 process or did you go to your local SS office and apply?

Seems like a long time!

Warmly,
Cali
Old Mar 15th 2004, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks... I went down to the local SS office and stood in line for what seemed like another 35 days!
Old Mar 16th 2004, 2:21 am
bc1
Just Joined

bc1 is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm curious - anyone get an SS number by using the (supposedly automatic) DS230 process?

I'd love to avoid the whole waiting in line part when i enter in the next few months but not sure i can trust it

cheers
Brad

Originally posted by Scorchio
Thanks... I went down to the local SS office and stood in line for what seemed like another 35 days!
Old Mar 16th 2004, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Durhams is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that was quick, compared to here in Chicago. It took my husbands 9 weeks to come. And another English guy who transfered On Jan 2nd hasn't got his back yet either!!!!!!
Old Mar 16th 2004, 4:17 pm
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!
crazi_daizi is an unknown quantity at this point

/me does the "I've got a social security number" dance!

Only took 35 days

Now I can enroll in the company's healthcare scheme and, um, get paid!! (Not that they wouldn't pay me without it, it was just easier all round with a ssn, apparently)

Ooo.. tax forms...
Congrats Scorchio, took hubby just under 6 weeks to get his (I think our timeline was similar to yours?), and we are now also looking forward to getting paid and not being looked at like morons! Well praps that bit won't change!
Old Mar 16th 2004, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by crazi_daizi
I think our timeline was similar to yours?
Yep, I think I was racing you to the airport! I spent a week whittling what I had left down to a couple of bags that I could drag on to a National Express coach, so I was a bit late getting there. I bought the coffees, but I guess you'd already gone...
Old Mar 17th 2004, 5:58 am
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!
crazi_daizi is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, I think I was racing you to the airport! I spent a week whittling what I had left down to a couple of bags that I could drag on to a National Express coach, so I was a bit late getting there. I bought the coffees, but I guess you'd already gone...
I remember now!! Ha sorry but with the arctic temperatures at home when we left, nothing was keeping from getting on that plane!
Old Mar 17th 2004, 2:15 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!!!

I'm still waiting for my damned EAD. I was fingerprinted on January 22nd and still haven't heard anything

As far as I know, once I get my EAD, I then have to go and stand in line to get the SSN

I should have jumped over from Mexico and worked illegally then good old Bush would have let me work. But nope, I had to do it the right way and still not permitted to earn a living
Old Mar 17th 2004, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Feh.. hope it comes through soon for you!

If all goes to plan, I should have my green card by the end of the summer, but I've got all this fingerprinting and needles malarky to go through yet.
:scared: