Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visiting the US while waiting for resident visa?

Visiting the US while waiting for resident visa?

Old Mar 7th 2004, 9:11 am
Just Joined

vsaumarez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting the US while waiting for resident visa?

I was wondering whether it is possible to visit the US on a tourist visa while I am waiting for my alien resident visa, which I will have within the next few months?
Old Mar 14th 2004, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

LucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Visiting the US while waiting for resident visa?

good luck trying! Chances are close to 0.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

alexvicky is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't you go on a visa waiver? I did.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 1:34 am
Just Joined

Dunca is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by alexvicky
Can't you go on a visa waiver? I did.

I was advised against it by by immigration council and by the US embassy.

Basically its not what the visa waiver program exists for. You may be okay, but if questioned your Application may be jepordised. In my mind the risk would not be worth it...

D
Old Mar 17th 2004, 5:59 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I did it every month for 2 years. I was advised by a lawyer that I was to carry proof that I was returning to the UK, like mortgage statement, bills, letter from my boss etc. I can't say I advise it, as it is a risk, but I did do it. I actually scaled down my visits in the end because I did worry about it.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

I was advised against doing it at the American embassy in London, so I didn't risk it because I didn't want to hinder my residence visa process.
In the end I flew to Canada and my fiancee met me there - luckily she was near the border so could drive up and I have relaitves in Canada who were willing to put us up for a few weeks.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did it once, came in for 2 weeks but stayed for 88 days.

They are not so much interested why you want to come in, more that you will be leaving, job etc. If you can show that you will be leaving you should be OK.

But when it all comes down to it nobody can guarantee it. It is all down to the the Immigration officer.

visajourney.com is a good board if you have not come across it so far.