Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Spinoff from the latest car ins thread - another homeowners insurance one

Spinoff from the latest car ins thread - another homeowners insurance one

Old Aug 22nd 2010, 4:14 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spinoff from the latest car ins thread - another homeowners insurance one

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
By the way, it is not uncommon for different agents from the same company to give different quotes. We have a particularly good agent who will massage the insurance application to get the best coverage for the best rate. It is an art.
Very interesting. Perhaps, when we get back from vacation, I should call a couple in the nearest big city. Our current agent has a "take it or leave it" attitude and doesn't seem to be interested in making the least bit of effort. Small town, again, I suspect.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 4:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spinoff from the latest car ins thread - another homeowners insurance one

Our house cost us $53,000 in 1997. We live in a very cheap part of the country.. in fact, in some less-favored towns within 20 miles of here, I could buy a house similar to this for $25,000. It is 4 bed, 2 full bath, on 5 acres. House is about 3,000 sq ft. The tax authorities say the property is worth $60,000.

Both the insurer we were previously with and the current one have it insured for about $250,0000 replacement value, that is, four or five times the actual value. I believe it would, in fact, cost about that much to build a new house of that size on the site.

Last year we paid over twelve hundred dollars to insure it; the new company is only charging us $530 for the same coverages.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234
Last year we paid over twelve hundred dollars to insure it; the new company is only charging us $530 for the same coverages.
That's a heck of a difference! No changes to deductibles or anything?

I suspect location may play a part. One of the companies I tried quoted a premium that was three times the next highest that I'd had. When I mentioned this, the call centre guy said "I guess we're not looking to add any new business in TX right now."
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chartreuse

I suspect location may play a part. One of the companies I tried quoted a premium that was three times the next highest that I'd had. When I mentioned this, the call centre guy said "I guess we're not looking to add any new business in TX right now."
That seems a very honest comment.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
That seems a very honest comment.
Yes, I thought so too.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 7:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse

My theory is that ten years ago, it was hard for homeowners here to get insured (I approached all the local insurers and agents and was rejected, & finally had to go with a small co-op operation based about 400 miles away.) So you went with what was offered, and of course they added a significant increase each year. Now, maybe the insurers are hungry for business ... many folks who own their homes outright may have dropped homeowners insurance in the belt-tightening of the last two or three years.

I was approached by the company who insure our cars, would we be interested in switching our homeowners' to them. Ten years ago they declined to insure our house even though we already had our cars with them.