Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Newbie on Forum Alert - Going to NC

Newbie on Forum Alert - Going to NC

Old Aug 20th 2010, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute
Default Newbie on Forum Alert - Going to NC

Hi all,

I am another newbie - have been reading BE for a while now while getting my act together and finally have a "yes" from my company to move to their US office on a permanent basis - with plans for a Green Card sponsorship if I want it.

Moving on a L1 Visa (my wife also works for the same company, so another L1 for her too!) which is great - if at any point either one of us quits we'd apply within the timeframe for a L-2 which allows us to work.

Our US office is in North Carolina, have been on a 2 week visit with work a couple of years ago and loved the place. Was also offered a position with Amazon in Seattle, but will be turning them down in favour of staying with current company and people generally saying NC is better anyway...!!

At the moment we're at Step 0 for moving - done nothing, house is untidy, looked at a few houses in NC for rent but nothing particularly.

I am aware that one of the first things when moved over is to get a SSN - then a NC Driving License - these are pretty much the only things you then need for everything else - like a bank account and starting off your new credit score in the US.

Any other help for a "Step 0" not done anything family that is definitely going to NC - hopefully by the new year??

Thanks!!

Matt Hawkins
Old Aug 20th 2010, 4:15 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie on Forum Alert - Going to NC

Hi Matt,

Welcome to BE, I'm sure you will enjoy being part of our little community. There are quite a few of us in NC so I'm sure we will be able to give you a few pointers. Whereabouts will you be moving too? I'm in Charlotte.

Sue
Old Aug 20th 2010, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

As I said, not done anything yet just got the go ahead from HR Director - now comes the fine details... but company office is in Raleigh - DW has already decided she likes Cary...
Old Aug 20th 2010, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Hawkini
There are a lot of members here that live in NC or on the East Coast, also a lot that live in the PNW, they may not agree with NC being better

You could check out the Wiki on top of the forum, there are a few articles on there about the 'countdown' to moving etc, it may help with some of your 'to-do' list'.

If you have any questions or just want to chat, you will find lots of helpful, chatty folks on here
Old Aug 20th 2010, 8:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart View Post
There are a lot of members here that live in NC or on the East Coast, also a lot that live in the PNW, they may not agree with NC being better

I will concede "sweatier" to you though.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

Worth a read through the wiki, plenty of decent advice on credit scores, stuff to do when moving and all that boring stuff
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the welcome! Never saw the "Wiki" bit before, only been looking at the forums and I must say it's a massive help - especially the school bit - so thanks for the pointers for info!