Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sounding like a Yank

Sounding like a Yank

Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:36 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sounding like a Yank

Originally Posted by Elvira
Eh? I thought you're from Oz?
Hey now!!!

I moved to England when I was 4, so I lost my Aussie accent quite early on.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:37 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Hey now!!!

All right then. I'll grant you a free pardon
Old Jun 24th 2006, 4:20 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes I feel the same when I go back. I try to say lift instead of elevator, rubbish instead of trash ect. I don't want friends and relatives to think I am trying to sound as though I am some sort of phoney American.
Like Madonna?

~ Jenney
Old Jun 24th 2006, 11:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

An arranged marriage, ain't that right Jersey?!
Yes that's right and although my daughter is at uni. she is a child prodigy.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 11:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Like Madonna?

~ Jenney
Correct. Someone once told me that if you move to a different country after the age of 11 you retain your original accent....unless of course you make a conscious effort to change like Madonna. My daughter was just 11 when we moved here and it took her several years to adopt the US accent. She can flip from one accent to the other depending who she is talking to.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 1:13 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I'm common

Oh don't get me wrong, I can be common when I want to be!
Old Jun 25th 2006, 1:15 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I just pronounce words here the same as I do when I am in the UK...sod it.

Same here, except for the odd occasion when I feel it's required
Old Jun 25th 2006, 1:18 am
Blondie22

Originally Posted by suzimc
It's one of those difficult ones because you have to try to fit in in both environments and some things just become habit!

You have to stop and think sometimes which country you're in before you speak too, it can get very confusing sometimes! I'm sure that this is very difficult for anyone that travels in between the UK and the US on a regular basis.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 1:36 am
Blondie22

Does anyone ever have any problems saying peoples names and being understood? My favourite is 'Barb'. Now I could just call them 'Barbara' and have done with it but if someone prefers their name to be shortened it's rather rude to lengthen it again just so that you can be understood! It's one of those names that if you don't say it with an American twang then you stand zero chance of anyone knowing what you are saying!
Old Jun 25th 2006, 2:03 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Hey now!!!

Closely follwed by your virginity
Old Jun 25th 2006, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
Does anyone ever have any problems saying peoples names and being understood? My favourite is 'Barb'. Now I could just call them 'Barbara' and have done with it but if someone prefers their name to be shortened it's rather rude to lengthen it again just so that you can be understood! It's one of those names that if you don't say it with an American twang then you stand zero chance of anyone knowing what you are saying!
My husband is called Paul and nobody ever understands him when he says his name! He has to call himself Paaaal
Old Jun 25th 2006, 2:14 pm
Guest21

Originally Posted by st326
Well, I've been in the US three days now. And I just got accused of having a trace of American in my accent, whilst on the phone to my other half back in the UK.

:scared: OK, I'm doomed. :scared:

Have other people found this? I can see it happening, actually -- I'll go up to someone in a shop, ask for something, get a blank look, then say the same thing again, slower, taking care to use a more American rhythm, and only then do they get it.
Hell the accent in Louisiana is bloody awful they sound thick to me, and if I ever thought that I sounded like one of them I swear I would go crazy.

How youuuall doin today arrrrrrrrghhhhhhhh

Old Jun 25th 2006, 4:32 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Closely follwed by your virginity
Nope, I gave that to a Yank!
Old Jun 25th 2006, 4:53 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by suzimc
My husband is called Paul and nobody ever understands him when he says his name! He has to call himself Paaaal
For some reason I have a lot of problems when I say my name (Liz). When I lived in Texas quite some time ago, I used to go by Lizzie, but when I told people my name, they would say 'Lessie?'!!!

So then I just started going by Elizabeth & that went on for a few years & was understood when I said it to any Americans. Then when I was back in England, I decided to change it to Liz.

Now I go by Liz & 50% of the time people don't understand what I'm saying! It's very frustrating & I don't want to have to change it again! So now I just repeat myself 'Liz, as in Elizabeth'. What a friggin' nightmare!!!
Old Jun 25th 2006, 5:02 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
My accent hasn't changed (thank gawd, after 6 years), but my hearing has, I no longer pick up an american accent, but if I hear a english accent it stands out a mile.
yeah I don't really hear American either ....I used to watch Eastenders just for the accents lol

dunno how I sound, North Wales with a twist of American?

and I gave up my Brit words years ago...it's really not worth the aggravation cos I hate repeating myself......I said ..I HATE... ..oh nevermind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.