Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sounding like a Yank

Sounding like a Yank

Old Jun 24th 2006, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sounding like a Yank

Originally Posted by st326
Well, I've been in the US three days now. And I just got accused of having a trace of American in my accent, whilst on the phone to my other half back in the UK.

:scared: OK, I'm doomed. :scared:

Have other people found this? I can see it happening, actually -- I'll go up to someone in a shop, ask for something, get a blank look, then say the same thing again, slower, taking care to use a more American rhythm, and only then do they get it.
I'm back in the Uk for the first time after 6 months, and aparently I don't sound even one bit American I have found it almost rolling off the toungue to ask for the check in a restaurant and saying excuse me at every given opportunity to trip up a passer by though....it sounds arrogant when you say it in England though - oops!
Old Jun 24th 2006, 2:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
You got married at minus 5 then?

I was a child Thai bride.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 2:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzimc
I'm back in the Uk for the first time after 6 months, and aparently I don't sound even one bit American I have found it almost rolling off the toungue to ask for the check in a restaurant and saying excuse me at every given opportunity to trip up a passer by though....it sounds arrogant when you say it in England though - oops!

Yes I feel the same when I go back. I try to say lift instead of elevator, rubbish instead of trash ect. I don't want friends and relatives to think I am trying to sound as though I am some sort of phoney American.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes I feel the same when I go back. I try to say lift instead of elevator, rubbish instead of trash ect. I don't want friends and relatives to think I am trying to sound as though I am some sort of phoney American.
It's one of those difficult ones because you have to try to fit in in both environments and some things just become habit!
Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Does anyone find themselves saying words like 'ToMato' and 'Aluminum' without thinking or do you say them like that to be understood more easily?
TomAAAAAto seems to be the big one - if you don't say it the american way you often don't get what you ordeed in the first place, but most other stuff seems to be okay for me so far
Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:09 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzimc
TomAAAAAto seems to be the big one - if you don't say it the american way you often don't get what you ordeed in the first place, but most other stuff seems to be okay for me so far
In NJ 'Water' is a good one, they say 'Wooder'
Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:13 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I had trouble with 'Marlboro' the other day, I had to say it 3 times "Malburra", she then showed me the pack and asked "Cigarettes?" I don't think she was the sharpest crayon in the box.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think she was the sharpest crayon in the box.
Neither are you if you need them coffin nails...
Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:25 pm

Neither are you if you need them coffin nails...
Nice to see you standing in for Sallyanne during her absence
Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:26 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

With my Brummie vowels I initially had problems with the words paint, eight and water. Now English people I meet here on vacation think I'm Australian after 20 years in the US
Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:31 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see you standing in for Sallyanne during her absence

Pet peeve of mine. I don't like people I care about to come to any harm...
Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:31 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

So you're posh like me then...

People always say I sound posh!
Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:32 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I just pronounce words here the same as I do when I am in the UK...sod it.
Me too, most of the time it works too.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:33 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Partystar
People always say I sound posh!

Eh? I thought you're from Oz?
Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:33 pm
Back where I belong!

You got married at minus 5 then?
An arranged marriage, ain't that right Jersey?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.