Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Some of the most unfriendliest cities you have lived in?

Some of the most unfriendliest cities you have lived in?

Old May 11th 2011, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

spoiledbaby is just really nicespoiledbaby is just really nicespoiledbaby is just really nicespoiledbaby is just really nicespoiledbaby is just really nicespoiledbaby is just really nicespoiledbaby is just really nicespoiledbaby is just really nice
Default Re: Some of the most unfriendliest cities you have lived in?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
LA is tough, even other Americans say so, so it's not just my B.O.
I hear that there is a lot of attractive ppl who live there. Is this true? One of the reasons why I avoid going to that city, I don't want to develop some type of complex and feel the need to starve myself and get all types of plastic surgery to feel accepted over there.
Old May 11th 2011, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyM73
That's one place I've managed to avoid visiting. I've never been to California. The closest to that direction I've been is Las Vegas. I've really never wanted to visit California, especially LA because of the media coverage of all the gangs. I guess that is what kept me away.
I never really think about gangs, although it's true they have spread out to the suburbs. Very sad life for people caught up in that culture.
Originally Posted by spoiledbaby
I hear that there is a lot of attractive ppl who live there. Is this true? One of the reasons why I avoid going to that city, I don't want to develop some type of complex and feel the need to starve myself and get all types of plastic surgery to feel accepted over there.
Depends what you mean by attractive. The 'ancient mummified corpse with football boobs, piano-key teeth and false nails' look is quite big in some areas.
Old May 11th 2011, 7:42 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scott33
.......Brits don't look foreign to the average American so sometimes when we open our mouths, it can take them by surprise.....
Never considered if an American can tell us visually (tho the deer-stalker and plus-fours might be a bit of a give-away, I try not to wear them out too much)

But there's rarely any doubt that someone's from England without the need to hear them speak. Cultural body language between the English and Americans can be pretty clear, I think.

For example, I think the English have an ability to look completely uninterested and bored, whereas Americans seem to stare about themselves more. The whole eye-contact, hi there, thing. There's other things, but I just can't be arsed to write them down........
Old May 11th 2011, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to the Toledo area, and initially I thought the city was pretty friendly. As I walked by, ppl would say hi, and acknowledge me, but then 6 months to a year has gone by, and I am still on a "hi" and "bye" basis with many of the same people.

Now before you say, have you tried to initiate a conversation? Yes. I have. And I regret it. One guy who appeared quite friendly by always saying "hello and how are you?" I once tried to chit chat with him, only for him to act very awkward. His responses were very brief, and kinda cold/rude, and when we approached the elevator he immediately said "good bye" and went down the hallway to the other side of the building to take another elevator. Weird. I notice he chit chats with other ppl amd gets on the elevator with them but doesn't seem to do the same with me. Must be some type of prejudice he has...not sure what it is.

I've had a similar pattern of behavior with others as well, people are fine with just saying hi to you but have no desire to get to know you beyond that. It has been quite hard making friends. (I am a woman btw)

And some of the men, are very forward, I've had a handful of men invite themselves over to my apartment that I did not know that well--very rude and rather creepy. I even gave my number to a guy, and he called me at 4am in the morning...okay There doesn't seem to be a decent selection of men here and the ppl here are not very open or interesting to say the least
Are you in Toledo, Ohio? Just wondering.....
Old May 11th 2011, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

spoiledbaby is just really nicespoiledbaby is just really nicespoiledbaby is just really nicespoiledbaby is just really nicespoiledbaby is just really nicespoiledbaby is just really nicespoiledbaby is just really nicespoiledbaby is just really nice

Yes I am in Toledo
Old May 11th 2011, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am in Toledo
Believe it or not, I'm not too far from you, but I've never been to Toledo - no reason to go I suppose. I'm in the Cleveland suburbs. As previous posters have said - Americans do take longer to get to know. They seem "friendly" upfront, but it is very different here. Not sure what brought you to Toledo, or what your interests are - but even though it is difficult, you can try and make friends who have the same interests as you have. I love to read so I joined a book club - while I'm not saying the people I've met at the book club are my "best buddies" most are friendly and we occasionally get together for dinner or a movie. Volunteering is a great way to meet people. I did that when I first came to this country as the visa I was on didn't let me work. There's always opportunities for volunteers - the food bank, meals on wheels, library, schools, Goodwill thrift shops - just to name a few. Hopefully things will get better for you!
Old May 12th 2011, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

I don't wish to seem overly judgmental, but isn't Toledo a complete and utter shytehole with no redeeming qualities whatsoever?

For some reason that is the impression I have got without ever having visited the place or it ever coming up in conversation.
Old May 13th 2011, 12:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
I don't wish to seem overly judgmental, but isn't Toledo a complete and utter shytehole with no redeeming qualities whatsoever?

For some reason that is the impression I have got without ever having visited the place or it ever coming up in conversation.
What makes you think that if you never even visited the place?

It's not a shythole, it's just not much to do here. It's pretty clean and seems to be an okay city
Old May 13th 2011, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

We do tend to be more involved with our own lives and with our friends and family
DH has noticed this, that a lot of "social life" centers around family get-togethers and gatherings here. That's not something he experienced in the UK.