Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Number Issuance Question

Social Security Number Issuance Question

Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

marcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud of
Exclamation Social Security Number Issuance Question

First of all, I just wanted to let everyone know that after nearly a year and a half of hell, my husband is here with me in the United States! One of these days I'll take the time to make a little post about our AFP-Embassy drama (those last 24 hours were seriously like something out of a movie).

Thank you to everyone that helped us through this process, whether with advice or just simply a kind word. You have no idea (or, actually, you probably do) how much it helped to be able to talk to people who have been through what we were going through. So, thank you all again.

I do have another question though, pertaining to my husband receiving his social security number and card. On one of the forms we filled out (I can't remember which one anymore, perhaps the DS-230?) there was a box to check if you wanted to receive a social security number, and we checked it. I think on the form it said it would take about 6 weeks to arrive.

At my husbands POE, the officer also told him that it would take approximately 9 months for him to receive his green card and six weeks to receive his social since he'd checked that box.

Well, in typical backwards US government fashion, my husband received his green card about three weeks after he got here (and my are they flashy, especially compared to my mum's green card from 1976, which is actually just a green paper card!), and there's still no sign of his social.

Now, I know that things never take the amount of time they say they will (and sometimes, though rarely, that can be a good thing, like with the issuance of his green card), but I just want to know if we should keep waiting to receive his social security card in the mail, or if it's not going to come in the mail and we have to go to a social security office to get it.

Obviously, my husband was legal to work in the US from the moment he was processed at his POE, but even showing employers the visa in his passport, and now his green card as well, doesn't seem to cut it with them. Stupid and wrong on their part, I know, but just the way it is. Also, most online job applications ask for a social right off the bat, and if you don't enter one, you can't continue the application.

So, is it coming in the mail, or do we have to go into an office to get it? This week is the start of the sixth week since he entered the country (on March 6th), but I've had family and friends recently telling me that they're pretty sure he has to go in and pick it up (all of my mum's family have immigrated to the US from Guyana, and a cousin of mine recently went through this when she married an Englishman).

I've tried calling the local social security office (busy busy busy), and we're probably going to head up there tomorrow, but I thought I'd ask you all first.

Thanks, as always, for your help!

Best,

Inez and Marc
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number Issuance Question

Hi Inez,

Normally, when things go smoothly, the SS card shows up in the mail automatically within several weeks of entering the USA.

In your case, I'd say go in person to the SS office and inquire in person. Sometimes the message doesn't get through to SS that you ordered a number ahead of time, so go in and make an inquiry. You might have to go ahead and apply in person. After applying, it takes about 2 weeks for the card to come in the mail, but he can go in person before then again and get the actual number.

Rene
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Fill in this form and take it with you ..

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html

Its not that unusual for the mesage not to get to them
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about

This is one of those weird things that doesn't seem to have a black & white answer. Sooooo many people have checked that box and then never received anything via post. And yet some have.

We checked the box and nothing happened. Hubby had to go to the SS office to fill in the paperwork. He received his card in the post a couple of weeks later.

Oh, and be prepared for a very long wait at the SS Office!
Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

hi Inez & welcome Marc

Marc, you should get down to SSA and put in your application. Despite what you were told, both cards should have showed up inside of 4 weeks. Sinice the GC came, you know that your mysterious brown envelope was processed through the system.. something failed with the transmission of your SSN request or you'd have had it by now.

When you are in the office applying for your SSN, ask them if you can come back the next day to get the *number* (the card will take a couple of weeks in the mail).

Obviously, my husband was legal to work in the US from the moment he was processed at his POE, but even showing employers the visa in his passport, and now his green card as well, doesn't seem to cut it with them. Stupid and wrong on their part, I know, but just the way it is. Also, most online job applications ask for a social right off the bat, and if you don't enter one, you can't continue the application.

This is a little troubling. Your husband should not have to show any documents until he has been hired. The employer isn't supposed to even ask about this, but I can understand why they do.. your husband can assure employers that he is a Permanent Resident--they aren't supposed to ask for proof of that until he's been hired (see Form I-9).

As for online applications, I hadn't thought about that, but again, he is not required to show this number until after hire, and there is an identity theft argument that could be made for not wanting to enter it into an online app.
What happens if he puts a dummy number in there, like all zeros, or 9s?

I know you will find your own ways to solve this, but I like to have the discussion for the benefit of others too.

Anyway, get down to SSA and you should have your SSN within the week.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

Hi

I ticked the box on the DS230 and it arrived around a week after entered (not that it helps you much...)

My new employer requested copies of my visa (didn't have the GC as yet) prior to making an offer. They even background checked and credit scored me before hand.

As for entering your Social online for a job application - I'd never do it. Never saw any site that requested it either. I'd check those sites very carefully and make sure they are legit.

Goat.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

marcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud of

Thanks for all the answers everyone! We'll get down there and see what we can sort out. As for companies asking for the SSN upfront, I don't agree with it, and I think it's stupid. Afterall, he CAN prove he's legal to work in the US without one.

I never thought of entering a dummy number - we'll try that. As for the legitimacy of the companies, it's only the bigger companies that ask for it (who do all of their applications online), such as Lowe's, Home Depot, any major department store, etc..

I can't remember who we asked the other day (it was in person), and this woman gave me a horrified look and said, "We don't do ANYTHING without a social security number!" I wanted to tell her, "Well, then you're an idiot."

Anyway, heading down to the social security office today, or maybe first thing in the AM so we don't have to wait so long!

Just to be sure, the following documents should be enough, right?

A certified copy of his birth certificate
A certified copy of his adoption decree
His foreign passport with his US visa in it
His US green card

Bringing his green card and foreign passport with US visa in it should be enough to prove he's a permanent resident with full work rights and therefore eligible to receive a Social Security number, right?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcsred
Just to be sure, the following documents should be enough, right?

A certified copy of his birth certificate
A certified copy of his adoption decree
His foreign passport with his US visa in it
His US green card

Bringing his green card and foreign passport with US visa in it should be enough to prove he's a permanent resident with full work rights and therefore eligible to receive a Social Security number, right?

Thanks again!
Go get form SS-5 to double check the documents you'll need.. that looks right, but check. And you'll need the application at SSA.

Yes, he is completely eligible for a Social Security account now.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

+ another 1 for taking a trip to the social security office. But I bet the minute you do, the card'll arrive in the post.....

When I arrived here, my GC turned up after about 3-4 weeks Social Security card at about 6, if I remember rightly, so chances are it'll be any day now - but I'd make the trip anyway.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goatherder
My new employer requested copies of my visa (didn't have the GC as yet) prior to making an offer.
I'll just mention for anyone reading, that what your employer did was totally illegal. An employer can ask *only* if you are legally eligible to work in the US and once he has that answer, he can *not* question you on your immigration status until *after* a bona fide job offer has been made. Further, an employer can *not* decide what documents are acceptable to meet the I-9 requirements... that is entirely up to the employee.

Ian
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:05 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'll just mention for anyone reading, that what your employer did was totally illegal. An employer can ask *only* if you are legally eligible to work in the US and once he has that answer, he can *not* question you on your immigration status until *after* a bona fide job offer has been made. Further, an employer can *not* decide what documents are acceptable to meet the I-9 requirements... that is entirely up to the employee.
Ian
Are you saying I could offer up my library card the next time the I-9 tour comes past?
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:24 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

CB,

There's a list of things you can show. The employee gets to choose from the list, not the employer.

Library cards unfortunately are not on the list.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Are you saying I could offer up my library card the next time the I-9 tour comes past?
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:31 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
CB,

There's a list of things you can show. The employee gets to choose from the list, not the employer.

Library cards unfortunately are not on the list.

Regards, JEff
I did wonder, so the employer *can* decide what documents are acceptable to meet the I-9 requirements, provided they give you a pick and choose list to play with.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I did wonder, so the employer *can* decide what documents are acceptable to meet the I-9 requirements, provided they give you a pick and choose list to play with.
No, the employer cannot decide. The employer hands you the I-9 form, you fill it out, you read the list of acceptable documents (which are not chosen by the employer), and you get to choose which documents from that list you'd like to show.

Rene
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:37 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No, the employer cannot decide. The employer hands you the I-9 form, you fill it out, you read the list of acceptable documents (which are not chosen by the employer), and you get to choose which documents from that list you'd like to show.

Rene
Ahh, I see, so the employer doesn't choose the list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.