Reload this Page >

Social Security Number

Social Security Number

Old May 3rd 2012, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Eagle_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social Security Number

Hello,

I'm emigrating to the States on 4 June. I just need to know if my SS number will be processed on arrival. I remember ticking something on one of the forms I have filled out previously which was asking if I wanted them to start preparing me a SS number or something to that effect.

I have an address for the US.

Thanks
Old May 3rd 2012, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number

Originally Posted by Eagle_Eyes
I just need to know if my SS number will be processed on arrival. I remember ticking something on one of the forms I have filled out previously which was asking if I wanted them to start preparing me a SS number or something to that effect.
That'll depend on which visa you use to enter the US. Several forms have the question but usually only an immigrant visa will actually start the process on arrival.

That said, even if you ticked the form... sometimes the SS card doesn't get processed and you need to go to an SSA office to do it yourself anyway.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; May 3rd 2012 at 12:42 pm.
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I'm emigrating to the States on 4 June. I just need to know if my SS number will be processed on arrival. I remember ticking something on one of the forms I have filled out previously which was asking if I wanted them to start preparing me a SS number or something to that effect.

I have an address for the US.

Thanks
Usually best to wait at least ten working days after arrival to allow enough time for you to be entered in the immigration authorities' database of those eligible to work in the US. Then go to your local SSA office to see if they received your request for an SSN, taking your passport with visa as evidence of identity and status in the US. The SSA should be able to give you your SSN if it's been issued or if the request wasn't received you can file a form SS-5 with them to request a number.
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Ian and Roy. I have an immigrant visa (married to US citizen). I'll ask Customs anyway.
Old May 3rd 2012, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'll ask Customs anyway.
Customs likely won't know... immigration might though!

Ian
Old May 3rd 2012, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Usually best to wait at least ten working days after arrival to allow enough time for you to be entered in the immigration authorities' database of those eligible to work in the US. Then go to your local SSA office to see if they received your request for an SSN, taking your passport with visa as evidence of identity and status in the US. The SSA should be able to give you your SSN if it's been issued or if the request wasn't received you can file a form SS-5 with them to request a number.

That's exactly what we did, when we arrived on June 4th 2010! Even though I'd ticked the box on the form, when we followed up at the local SS office 10 days later, they told me no application had been made. Filled a form in there and had my SS card in the mail about a week later. They were very nice about it too...... Good info rjps

Wait till you have to go to the DMV Eagle_Eyes!
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived on the Thursday, card was mailed on the Monday, I went to the SS office on the Wednesday (not knowing it had been mailed) and received the number, and the card arrived on the Friday, i.e. 8 days later. I had ticked the box and obviously everything went like clockwork for me! I guess I was one of the lucky ones.

Still waiting for the physical Green Card but that's not unusual one month later.

DMV... oh yes.
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM

Still waiting for the physical Green Card but that's not unusual one month later.
Gets on your tits when it takes them a year to send you your card...but then I'm a dinosaur these days
Old May 3rd 2012, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

MrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond repute

My SS card arrived within 2 weeks and GC within 6 weeks, but everyone is different.
Old May 4th 2012, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to all for their comments.

I will check with the local SS local office a few days after my arrival just to be safe.
Old May 4th 2012, 12:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all for their comments.

I will check with the local SS local office a few days after my arrival just to be safe.
Give it about 10 days after your arrival. That's about how long it takes your information to get into the database SS uses to verify your status in the USA.

Rene
Old May 4th 2012, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_I
Wait till you have to go to the DMV Eagle_Eyes!
+1

I *hate* the DMV! I have lost countless hours of my life there.
Old May 4th 2012, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

AntMcG is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a similar situation re my SSN.

I ticked the box and already have my Green Card (after becoming a PR on March 8th) - but no sign of any SSN.

So it's sounds like it hasn't been processed. I'm back in the UK temporarily (flying back out to US on 22nd May) and the lack of SSN is stopping me opening bank accounts in US and even applying for Health Insurance.

Any tips on how to do things like this without a SSN (but WITH a Green Card)?

Thanks all (in advance)
Anthony

Last edited by AntMcG; May 4th 2012 at 5:01 pm.
Old May 4th 2012, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AntMcG
I've got a similar situation re my SSN.

I ticked the box and already have my Green Card (after becoming a PR on March 8th) - but no sign of any SSN.

So it's sounds like it hasn't been processed. I'm back in the UK temporarily (flying back out to US on 22nd May) and the lack of SSN is stopping me opening bank accounts in US and even applying for Health Insurance.

Any tips on how to do things like this without a SSN (but WITH a Green Card)?
You should definitely go to your local SSA office and file an SS-5. You should definitely be on the SAVE immigration work authorisation system by now.

You don't need an SSN to open a bank account - I successfully opened one with Chase before I received my SSN. All they need is a unique government issued ID number such as your USCIS A#.
Old May 4th 2012, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

AntMcG is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=rpjs;10041807]You should definitely go to your local SSA office and file an SS-5. You should definitely be on the SAVE immigration work authorisation system by now.

Is there any way I can do that online while I'm here in the UK for the next couple of weeks?

Re Bank account, thanks for the tip!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.