Reload this Page >

Social Security Name Change & Federal Tax Returns

Social Security Name Change & Federal Tax Returns

Old Apr 22nd 2002, 9:02 pm
British in Wisconsin

Jememennie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social Security Name Change & Federal Tax Returns

Hello,

Just thought I'd share our recent IRS - INS - SS problems so maybe someone else can avoid it next year.

We got our federal tax return refund back last week. It was $300 less than expected, because my social security number wasn't recognised in the system - so my husband didn't get the spouse deduction or whatever it's called. (I'm not too up on the IRS stuff.)

I had a social security number from when I was a student - in my maiden name and we hadn't got it changed because we were going to wait until I had my green card. We figured that I'd be in the system as "Legal alien allowed to work" by then.

But we decided to go to the Social Security Office this morning to get my name on the card changed. The woman I talked to was a little confusing - she didn't seem to be too familiar with the K-1 immigration process. She was asking me if my visa had expired and if we had our AOS interview before we were married and then something about if we'd done anything to hold up the Green Card procudure. (No.)

Turned out that she just needed my Alien number. She typed that into her computer and said I was still listed by the INS under my maiden name. (Even though when I've got mail from them it's addressed to my maiden name.)

So she said she's going to write to the INS on my behalf and ask them to get my name changed in their computer system. Only then can she change my name on the card, she said. Though she looked at my documents I took with me - INS letter saying I'm an approved conditional permanent resident, my passport, my state ID. So in a month or two I should get a new SS card in the mail. And then we can get in touch with the IRS again and get more of my husband's money back. :P

Well, I'm not too sure what you can learn from this. Seems like we were screwed either way with the name change - we can't seem to do it until the INS gets sorted out with my green card. I guess it just goes to show that the hassle never ends. :P

Take care, Jennie
Old Apr 23rd 2002, 1:10 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: Social Security Name Change & Federal Tax Returns

He should have filed the return with the name that matches your SS card. IRS realizes
that married people do not always have the same last name.

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 1:10 am
Mrs_blackross

you may have been able to avoid most of the IRS/INS/SSN confusion if you had simply
filed your AOS paperwork in your married name. INS would have accepted the new name
even if your original K1 was in your maiden name, since you submit your marriage
certificate along with everything else. You then would have been able to get the name
on your SSN changed and most likely the IRS wouldn't have had a problem with it. but
hey, hindsight is always 20/20. least now you can expect to get some additional $$$
out of the IRS.

"Jememennie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > Just thought I'd share our recent IRS - INS - SS problems so maybe someone else can
    > avoid it next year.
    >
    > We got our federal tax return refund back last week. It was $300 less than
    > expected, because my social security number wasn't recognised in the system - so my
    > husband didn't get the spouse deduction or whatever it's called. (I'm not too up on
    > the IRS stuff.)
    >
    > I had a social security number from when I was a student - in my maiden name and we
    > hadn't got it changed because we were going to wait until I had my green card. We
    > figured that I'd be in the system as "Legal alien allowed to work" by then.
    >
    > But we decided to go to the Social Security Office this morning to get my name on
    > the card changed. The woman I talked to was a little confusing - she didn't seem to
    > be too familiar with the K-1 immigration process. She was asking me if my visa had
    > expired and if we had our AOS interview before we were married and then something
    > about if we'd done anything to hold up the Green Card procudure. (No.)
    >
    > Turned out that she just needed my Alien number. She typed that into her computer
    > and said I was still listed by the INS under my maiden name. (Even though when I've
    > got mail from them it's addressed to my maiden name.)
    >
    > So she said she's going to write to the INS on my behalf and ask them to get my
    > name changed in their computer system. Only then can she change my name on the
    > card, she said. Though she looked at my documents I took with me - INS letter
    > saying I'm an approved conditional permanent resident, my passport, my state ID. So
    > in a month or two I should get a new SS card in the mail. And then we can get in
    > touch with the IRS again and get more of my husband's money back. :P
    >
    > Well, I'm not too sure what you can learn from this. Seems like we were screwed
    > either way with the name change - we can't seem to do it until the INS gets sorted
    > out with my green card. I guess it just goes to show that the hassle never ends. :P
    >
    > Take care, Jennie
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Ben Jennie's US-UK Marriage: http://www.geocities.com/ben_jennie/
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 2:38 am
British in Wisconsin

"He should have filed the return with the name that matches your SS card."

Huh, didn't know that. We were filing "married, jointly" so figured we'd use my married name. We had no problem with the state tax returns.

"you may have been able to avoid most of the IRS/INS/SSN confusion if you had simply filed your AOS paperwork in your married name."

We *did* file our AOS paperwork in my married name. So I don't know why according to the SS people I'm in the INS database under my maiden name. When I have had mail from the INS it's been addressed to me in my married name. I guess it's just because my green card hasn't come through yet.

Well thanks for the replies. Jennie
Old Apr 23rd 2002, 2:10 pm
Andy Platt

I think it's complete and utter BS that they can't change the name on your SS card
without the INS changing the name in their computer first. Absolute BS. I would go
and try to speak to a supervisor.

The IRS introduced the law about the names having to match what the SSA held last
year. They publicized it pretty widely then but I guess this is the second year
they had it so they figured everyone already knew. Yeah, everyone who had already
been married!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Jememennie"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > Just thought I'd share our recent IRS - INS - SS problems so maybe someone else can
    > avoid it next year.
    >
    > We got our federal tax return refund back last week. It was $300 less than
    > expected, because my social security number wasn't recognised in the system - so my
    > husband didn't get the spouse deduction or whatever it's called. (I'm not too up on
    > the IRS stuff.)
    >
    > I had a social security number from when I was a student - in my maiden name and we
    > hadn't got it changed because we were going to wait until I had my green card. We
    > figured that I'd be in the system as "Legal alien allowed to work" by then.
    >
    > But we decided to go to the Social Security Office this morning to get my name on
    > the card changed. The woman I talked to was a little confusing - she didn't seem to
    > be too familiar with the K-1 immigration process. She was asking me if my visa had
    > expired and if we had our AOS interview before we were married and then something
    > about if we'd done anything to hold up the Green Card procudure. (No.)
    >
    > Turned out that she just needed my Alien number. She typed that into her computer
    > and said I was still listed by the INS under my maiden name. (Even though when I've
    > got mail from them it's addressed to my maiden name.)
    >
    > So she said she's going to write to the INS on my behalf and ask them to get my
    > name changed in their computer system. Only then can she change my name on the
    > card, she said. Though she looked at my documents I took with me - INS letter
    > saying I'm an approved conditional permanent resident, my passport, my state ID. So
    > in a month or two I should get a new SS card in the mail. And then we can get in
    > touch with the IRS again and get more of my husband's money back. :P
    >
    > Well, I'm not too sure what you can learn from this. Seems like we were screwed
    > either way with the name change - we can't seem to do it until the INS gets sorted
    > out with my green card. I guess it just goes to show that the hassle never ends. :P
    >
    > Take care, Jennie
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 3:40 pm
Tracy

Jememennie <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > "He should have filed the return with the name that matches your SS card."
    >
    > Huh, didn't know that. We were filing "married, jointly" so figured we'd use my
    > married name. We had no problem with the state tax returns.
    >
    > "you may have been able to avoid most of the IRS/INS/SSN confusion if you had
    > simply filed your AOS paperwork in your married name."
    >
    > We *did* file our AOS paperwork in my married name. So I don't know why according
    > to the SS people I'm in the INS database under my maiden name. When I have had mail
    > from the INS it's been addressed to me in my married name. I guess it's just
    > because my green card hasn't come through yet.
    >
    > Well thanks for the replies. Jennie

We also filed everything in my married name, with the exception of the K1 visa
application. I was also told, when I went to get the 'Work only valid with INS
approval' condition removed from my SSN card after receiving my GC, that the INS
still had me listed under my maiden name. I just pointed out to the SSN women that my
GC & old SSN card had my married name and that is what she should take as the correct
one. A little hesitation from her but I insisted and got my new SSN card a week
later. I wonder if the INS lists us by our maiden names and has our married names
elsewhere that the SSN offices can't see?

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 4:38 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Andy. My wife is known to the INS, banks, everyone but the SSA, by her maiden name.

I took her original SS card, with her maiden name, to the SS office with her passport, with her maiden name, and I-551 stamp and a copy of our marriage certificate to get her a new SS card in her married name and without the 'needs INS work authorization' logo.

It's the marriage certificate you need to get to show the name change, not the INS computer records. The marriage certificate neatly ties the maiden and married names together.

Regards, JEff

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andy Platt
[B]I think it's complete and utter BS that they can't change the name on your SS card
without the INS changing the name in their computer first. Absolute BS. I would go
and try to speak to a supervisor.

The IRS introduced the law about the names having to match what the SSA held last
year. They publicized it pretty widely then but I guess this is the second year
they had it so they figured everyone already knew. Yeah, everyone who had already
been married!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.
Old Apr 24th 2002, 1:40 am
Michael D. Youn

Andy Platt wrote:

> I think it's complete and utter BS that they can't change the name on your SS card
    > without the INS changing the name in their computer first. Absolute BS. I would go
    > and try to speak to a supervisor.
    >
    > The IRS introduced the law about the names having to match what the SSA held last
    > year. They publicized it pretty widely then but I guess this is the second year
    > they had it so they figured everyone already knew. Yeah, everyone who had already
    > been married!
    >
    > Andy.

Hi All!

The SSN and name info you provide IRS on your tax form is matched against your SSN
record. Changing your name needs to be done with SSA to change IRS records. Normally,
tell people to wait 2 weeks after receiving the SSN card with the corrected name
before contacting IRS or resubmitting tax forms.

Take care,

Mike

Old Apr 24th 2002, 2:10 am
Michael D. Youn

jeffreyhy wrote:

> I agree with Andy. My wife is known to the INS, banks, everyone but the SSA, by her
    > maiden name.
    >
    > I took her original SS card, with her maiden name, to the SS office with her
    > passport, with her maiden name, and I-551 stamp and a copy of our marriage
    > certificate to get her a new SS card in her married name and without the 'needs INS
    > work authorization' logo.
    >
    > It's the marriage certificate you need to get to show the name change, not the INS
    > computer records. The marriage certificate neatly ties the maiden and married names
    > together.
    >
    > Regards, JEff
    >

Hi All!

To change your name on your SSN record you need one document that shows your new name
and one document that shows the current name listed on your SSN record or one
document that shows both.

If you are changing your name back to a name that is already listed on your SSN
record, then you just need a document with the current name listed.

Take care,

Mike

Old Apr 24th 2002, 12:40 pm
Andy Platt

"Michael D. Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

> To change your name on your SSN record you need one document that shows
your
    > new name and one document that shows the current name listed on your SSN record or
    > one document that shows both.

That's what they say but they are more flexible than that because they will take a
marriage certificate that shows your old name only. So long as you pick something
that is a valid combination of your maiden name and your spouse's name you will be
OK. For instance, our Virginia marriage certificate just had my name and my wife's
maiden name (Deana Michelle Hoisington). They had no problem changing her SS card to
Deana Hoisingon Platt using just the marriage certificate.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Apr 25th 2002, 4:17 am
British in Wisconsin

Wow, thanks for all the replies - I especially liked the BS one. I should have checked here earlier.

"It's the marriage certificate you need to get to show the name change, not the INS computer records. The marriage certificate neatly ties the maiden and married names together."

Huh, yeah I thought that too. I showed her our marriage certificate (both names), my passport (old name) and my state ID (new name). But I guess because I'm an alien she wants to check up on me with the INS. I'm pretty sure the INS knows that my name is changed. *sigh*. Too complicated. Maybe we just got a weird woman at the SSA. Think I'll go look at the SSA website again.

"Normally, tell people to wait 2 weeks after receiving the SSN card with the corrected name before contacting IRS or resubmitting tax forms."

Thanks Mike.

Thanks everyone for your input, take care, Jennie
Old Apr 26th 2002, 4:10 pm
Shelley

I guess I was lucky - when Ken and I got married, we got a "Certificate of Marriage"
stamped with the church's seal. This Certificate has both my old name and my new
married name on it. That was all I needed the change my SS card. If I remember
correctly, when my ex and I got married at the courthouse (many years ago) they also
issued us one of these certificates - again with both my names in on it. I never had
any problems changing my name. It's a shame this isn't a practice everywhere. Take
Care. Shelley

"Jememennie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Wow, thanks for all the replies - I especially liked the BS one. I should have
    > checked here earlier.
    >
    > "It's the marriage certificate you need to get to show the name change, not the INS
    > computer records. The marriage certificate neatly ties the maiden and married names
    > together."
    >
    > Huh, yeah I thought that too. I showed her our marriage certificate (both names),
    > my passport (old name) and my state ID (new name). But I guess because I'm an alien
    > she wants to check up on me with the INS. I'm pretty sure the INS knows that my
    > name is changed. *sigh*. Too complicated. Maybe we just got a weird woman at the
    > SSA. Think I'll go look at the SSA website again.
    >
    > "Normally, tell people to wait 2 weeks after receiving the SSN card with the
    > corrected name before contacting IRS or resubmitting tax forms."
    >
    > Thanks Mike.
    >
    > Thanks everyone for your input, take care, Jennie
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >