Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security fallen through the cracks?

Social Security fallen through the cracks?

Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

themadpants is just really nicethemadpants is just really nicethemadpants is just really nicethemadpants is just really nicethemadpants is just really nicethemadpants is just really nicethemadpants is just really nicethemadpants is just really nice
Question Social Security fallen through the cracks?

Hi Guys,
I stumbled on this site while searching for an answer for my question, maybe you guys can help me?

I am married to a US citezen, and applied for the relevent visa to immigrate to the US at the London Embassy.
Everything went fine and I got approved quickly (5 months almost to the day)
I entered the US on the 30th of October, but had to go back to the UK to finish up my work contract. My wife has meanwhile been living in the US, and I have received my Green Card. But i am still waiting for my SSN? Its been over two months which is concern.
I am heading down to the local SS office to talk to them tomorrow.

What i wanted to ask was even though i ticked the box on the DS-230 ptII to automatically apply for a SSN which was in my big yella' envelope when i entered the country, could that not have been done?
If the SS office has no record of me, do i need to contact USCIS to ask them about it? Or do I just apply for the SSN by myself?

Any thoughts or shedding of the light will be much appreciated.
Regards, TM
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security fallen through the cracks?

Originally Posted by themadpants
Hi Guys,
I stumbled on this site while searching for an answer for my question, maybe you guys can help me?

I am married to a US citezen, and applied for the relevent visa to immigrate to the US at the London Embassy.
Everything went fine and I got approved quickly (5 months almost to the day)
I entered the US on the 30th of October, but had to go back to the UK to finish up my work contract. My wife has meanwhile been living in the US, and I have received my Green Card. But i am still waiting for my SSN? Its been over two months which is concern.
I am heading down to the local SS office to talk to them tomorrow.

What i wanted to ask was even though i ticked the box on the DS-230 ptII to automatically apply for a SSN which was in my big yella' envelope when i entered the country, could that not have been done?
If the SS office has no record of me, do i need to contact USCIS to ask them about it? Or do I just apply for the SSN by myself?

Any thoughts or shedding of the light will be much appreciated.
Regards, TM
hi there themadpants,

Sometimes, the automagic Social Security number doesn't happen; it sounds like that is where you are at (unless you moved since arriving to the US?).

The remedy is just what you propose: take your green card, passport and a completed copy of form SS-5 and order your card. SSA will do a quick internal check of your status and send your card along to you within a couple of weeks.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi madpants! Welcome to BE.

meauxna pointed you in the right direction, I just wanted to say Hi from Phoenix, too! ***waving at madpants***

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi madpants! Welcome to BE.

meauxna pointed you in the right direction, I just wanted to say Hi from Phoenix, too! ***waving at madpants***

Rene
Here's the form
http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

themadpants is just really nicethemadpants is just really nicethemadpants is just really nicethemadpants is just really nicethemadpants is just really nicethemadpants is just really nicethemadpants is just really nicethemadpants is just really nice

Meauxna, thanks for the informative response.
I will definitely be down to the SS office with that form first thing tomorrow for sure!
Thanks for the link Ray.
I will let you know how it goes!

P.S: Thanks for the hello Noorah!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:23 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themadpants
Meauxna, thanks for the informative response.
I will definitely be down to the SS office with that form first thing tomorrow for sure!
Thanks for the link Ray.
I will let you know how it goes!

P.S: Thanks for the hello Noorah!
tmp, before you go..

You have received a message from the Big Giant Head:

Phoenix, AZ = Apply at Card Center

http://www.ssa.gov/cardcenters/cardcenterinfo.html

You can thank him here; he will get the message.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
tmp, before you go..

You have received a message from the Big Giant Head:

Phoenix, AZ = Apply at Card Center

http://www.ssa.gov/cardcenters/cardcenterinfo.html

You can thank him here; he will get the message.
Ha Ha!
Thank you Big Giant Head!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

OK, so went to the SS Card Office and it took all of 5 minutes there. No queue or anything. The lady was very efficient, looked me up on the system and said, no, she has no record of me.. She said that the auto SSN on the immigration forms dont always work!
Anyway, she took my GC and passport, checked my address for verification and said it would be with me within 2 weeks and gave me a receipt! I didnt even have to give her the SS-5 form!
Very afficient i must say. Seems like AZ has there shizniz together
Let hope its this simple!
Thanks for your help guys, will try and update when it arrives. Your advice was invaluable.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:18 am

Excellent result!