Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How old do you have to be to work in a bar?

How old do you have to be to work in a bar?

Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all
Default How old do you have to be to work in a bar?

My 19 yr old Australian citizen niece is on a student visa in New York and she's allowed to work part-time. She's been told by friends she can work in a bar from age 18 (so long as she doesn't drink any alcohol) even though the legal drinking age is 21. Is this correct or does she need to be 21 to work in a bar?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:20 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How old do you have to be to work in a bar?

Looks like 18.

http://www.abc.state.ny.us/frequently-asked-questions
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

Thanks so much for that link fatbrit. Legal drinking and serving age in Oz is 18 so she's had nearly 1 year experience of barwork before she left for the US (she's nearly 20). She has already tried to get barwork based on what her friends told her (now I can give her the definite go-ahead), but she's having a lot of trouble getting a job.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginger3710
Thanks so much for that link fatbrit. Legal drinking and serving age in Oz is 18 so she's had nearly 1 year experience of barwork before she left for the US (she's nearly 20). She has already tried to get barwork based on what her friends told her (now I can give her the definite go-ahead), but she's having a lot of trouble getting a job.
Ginger, make sure she checks that she is allowed to work off campus. Most student visas restrict them to working on campus for minimal hours.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks jerseygirl.

Meauxna, I'll get her to double check. I'm sure it must allow her to work off campus because she's already started looking for work...I know she wouldn't try to work illegally.

Originally she was given a student visa which didn't allow her to work at all. Her parents hired an immigration attorney who then successfully got her visa changed so she could have 12 mths to work part-time.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks jerseygirl.

Meauxna, I'll get her to double check. I'm sure it must allow her to work off campus because she's already started looking for work...I know she wouldn't try to work illegally.

Originally she was given a student visa which didn't allow her to work at all. Her parents hired an immigration attorney who then successfully got her visa changed so she could have 12 mths to work part-time.
Oh great.. maybe Optional Practical Training if she's just graduated?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

julians151 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Oh great.. maybe Optional Practical Training if she's just graduated?
Its 18 unless you are on a student visa, in which case you cant work at all off campus.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's pretty good going...around here in Mass, you can't work behind the bar till your 21 but you can work in a bar at 18....bit daft that.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

elliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud of

Thanks jerseygirl.

This sounds like CPT which is working during your course, opposed to OPT which is done after graduating.
I've been told by the international student advisors here in FL and an attorney that CPT/OPT must be in a field related to your major... this may be worth checking... I have heard from several friends that noone really checks, but it's still a risk.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:43 pm

Thank you for adding that, elliep!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:25 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elliep
This sounds like CPT which is working during your course, opposed to OPT which is done after graduating.
I've been told by the international student advisors here in FL and an attorney that CPT/OPT must be in a field related to your major... this may be worth checking... I have heard from several friends that noone really checks, but it's still a risk.
Work in a bar could encompass many disciplines from hospitality management through psychology.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by elliep
I've been told by the international student advisors here in FL and an attorney that CPT/OPT must be in a field related to your major...
She's studying acting in NY. Ironically from what you've said above, on the original student visa she was issued, which didn't allow her to work, it was strongly advised from the school, that the students not take on any part time work related to the course as they should be concentrating on their course (only students with potential are invited back the second year). However, since she's an international student, and her parents are paying for the course (not cheap) plus paying for rent etc and sending over money to her with low Aussie exchange rate, they were hoping she would be able to work to help with finances. Not sure what new student visa she has been issued, but it does allow her to work in unrelated field to her studies.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 2:09 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

She's studying acting in NY. Ironically from what you've said above, on the original student visa she was issued, which didn't allow her to work, it was strongly advised from the school, that the students not take on any part time work related to the course as they should be concentrating on their course (only students with potential are invited back the second year). However, since she's an international student, and her parents are paying for the course (not cheap) plus paying for rent etc and sending over money to her with low Aussie exchange rate, they were hoping she would be able to work to help with finances. Not sure what new student visa she has been issued, but it does allow her to work in unrelated field to her studies.
It's not a new visa - it's OPT or CPT which is a program allowed under her original visa. Not sure about CPT, but there is a time limit on OPT which (if used too soon) may restrict her options in the US after graduation - many people use OPT to bridge time gaps between student visas and other types of visas used to work or stay here.