social security error / driving license

social security error / driving license

Old Feb 24th 2006, 3:33 pm
Hemvaidya

Default social security error / driving license

My wife has her permanent resident card, and we are awaiting followup
regarding our submission of the i-485 form. when she first applied
for her social security card, the office used her german passport which
had middle name in front of her first name.

my wife encountered some problems with getting her driving license as
the name on the permandent card is different from that on the social
security card. in the social card, they put her middle name first,
and her first name as the middle. the spelling is otherwise correct.
the permanet resident card has the correct order.

when we went to the social card to get it fixed - we showed them her
permanent resident card with the correct name. the lady at the
counter stated that in order for them to give her a new social card
with the correct name, they must contact Ins to find out information
regarding her residential status. she said that it might take at
least 2 months for this to happen.

in the mean time, my wife cannot get her driving license because we
have to wait for the correct social card to come back.

should we be concerned about this? what should we do if we cannot
correct his error?

thanks for your time.

Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: social security error / driving license

Originally Posted by Hemvaidya
... the lady at the counter stated that in order for them to give her a new social card with the correct name, they must contact Ins to find out information regarding her residential status.
The lady at the counter is a complete moron. Your wife's PR card is absolute proof of her residential status. Try again on a different day, or go to a different SSA office.

Ian
Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The lady at the counter is a complete moron. Your wife's PR card is absolute proof of her residential status. Try again on a different day, or go to a different SSA office.

Ian
Or ask to speak to a Manager or Supervisor at the SS office, if the person behind the window isn't helpful.

Rene
Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

jamie01 has a brilliant futurejamie01 has a brilliant futurejamie01 has a brilliant futurejamie01 has a brilliant futurejamie01 has a brilliant futurejamie01 has a brilliant futurejamie01 has a brilliant future

You can speak to the manager or supervisor as others suggested.

However, their (SSA) computers talk to other federal systems too. So, it is not uncommon for them to crosscheck the information with the agency that issued the card. Showing your greencard to them just starts the process for them to do the check with INS or whoever issued your card (yes, BCIS).

This routinely happens for example when one changes name through a court or at naturalization time. In my case (not dissimilar from your case) the SSA lady said she will check with the agency that issued the card and that I should receive a new one in a month, I got mine in 3 weeks. 2 months is a bit long but I bet that is just a ballpark estimate. Sometimes they can check in real time, while at other times they have a delay.

Originally Posted by Hemvaidya
My wife has her permanent resident card, and we are awaiting followup
regarding our submission of the i-485 form. when she first applied
for her social security card, the office used her german passport which
had middle name in front of her first name.

my wife encountered some problems with getting her driving license as
the name on the permandent card is different from that on the social
security card. in the social card, they put her middle name first,
and her first name as the middle. the spelling is otherwise correct.
the permanet resident card has the correct order.

when we went to the social card to get it fixed - we showed them her
permanent resident card with the correct name. the lady at the
counter stated that in order for them to give her a new social card
with the correct name, they must contact Ins to find out information
regarding her residential status. she said that it might take at
least 2 months for this to happen.

in the mean time, my wife cannot get her driving license because we
have to wait for the correct social card to come back.

should we be concerned about this? what should we do if we cannot
correct his error?

thanks for your time.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:50 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

This time the morons got it right. Her status must be verified no matter what immigration document she provides and if it can't be done through SAVE, they must send a Form G-845 for manual verification and that sometimes can take a while.

You can find detailed information regarding changing SSN record (Numident) data on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

C. Procedure - Immigration Document as Evidence of Legal Name

When issuing immigration documents, the Department of State and DHS issue them in the person’s legal name. The legal name is also generally the name in which the foreign passport was issued.

When an alien applies for an SSN card, presume the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change (e.g., marriage) that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

In cases where an alien applies for a replacement SSN card and submits an immigration document showing a name that is different from the name on the prior Numident (SSN) record, accept the immigration document as evidence of the legal name. In these cases, the prior SSN card may have been issued in a name that was not the NH’s legal name.

Remember that immigration status must always be verified before an SSN card can be issued

Last edited by mdyoung; Feb 24th 2006 at 8:31 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
You'll have to go back to hedging your bets, Ian.
"The lady at the counter *might be* a complete moron". There, doesn't that feel like more wiggle room?
<g>
Old Feb 25th 2006, 12:33 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
"The lady at the counter *might be* a complete moron". There, doesn't that feel like more wiggle room?
!!

Ian