Reload this Page >

Social security

Social security

Old Jul 22nd 2020, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

capin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social security

Hi All,

I've been in the USA for almost 5 years now and am going to be 47 next week. I've been maxing out the 401k since I got here and I have 24 credits so far towards social security.

I have a small pension from when I worked in Ireland and couple of private UK pensions plus I think I'll get something from the UK government when I retire.

Can anyone recommend somewhere where I can find out about US social security please. I think one needs 40 credits to be eligible which I should meet by early 2024. I do understand the mathematics for remaining in the USA beyond that date and contributing to social.

My wife is Thai and the current plan is to hand back the GC and get out of here around 2025 and retire to Phitsanulok/Sukothai region in northern Thailand. Is it as simple that US Social will just cut me a check every month and I file a 1040NR?? Or will they look at worldwide income? I'm clueless on this issue.

Thanks.

Old Jul 22nd 2020, 3:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social security

You will not be entitled to obtain social security monthly retirement benefits until you are at minimum 62 years of age and that is with your 40 quarters of contribution. Yes, your SS retirement benefit will take into account money earned, if you are still working at that age, your other retirement benefits received from any country and your US security check will be adjusted as per the Windfall Act.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

capin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Social security

Originally Posted by Rete
You will not be entitled to obtain social security monthly retirement benefits until you are at minimum 62 years of age and that is with your 40 quarters of contribution. Yes, your SS retirement benefit will take into account money earned, if you are still working at that age, your other retirement benefits received from any country and your US security check will be adjusted as per the Windfall Act.
Thanks Rete

Just googled Windfall Act and reading.