Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So what things did you love/hate when you first arrived that you now hate/love?

So what things did you love/hate when you first arrived that you now hate/love?

Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what things did you love/hate when you first arrived that you now hate/love?

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I think a lot of us can relate to that one . Still nothing compared to European prices, but at the same time has petrol in the UK more than doubled in price in the last 5/6 years as well?
It hasn't gone up that much, but it has gone up a lot. I haven't driven much since I left home to go to university, because I haven't been living anywhere where having a car is necessary. But when I was home for Christmas last year I offered to fill up my brother's car since he was giving me quite a few lifts about the place. To my dismay it cost just over £60. Eight years ago when I had my own (similar sized) car it cost me less than £40.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:37 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what things did you love/hate when you first arrived that you now hate/love?

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
It hasn't gone up that much, but it has gone up a lot. I haven't driven much since I left home to go to university, because I haven't been living anywhere where having a car is necessary. But when I was home for Christmas last year I offered to fill up my brother's car since he was giving me quite a few lifts about the place. To my dismay it cost just over £60. Eight years ago when I had my own (similar sized) car it cost me less than £40.
I think it was about 98p/litre when I left, now it's about £1.30/litre, right? That's a 33% increase. During the same period, it went from about $1.92/gal to (earlier this year) $4.35/gal - that's a 127% increase

It since came down to $3.69, and has settled at $3.95 on the day I need to fill my car (of course). Trouble is, I need my car to go pretty much anywhere I need to go, as the public transport network outside the bigger cities is basically zero. Of course, I can get to Chicago on a train that leaves from a station 1 mile from my house, but I rarely have cause to go to Chicago
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:54 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: So what things did you love/hate when you first arrived that you now hate/love?

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
The UK actually has a motorway subject to toll charges - the M6 extension motorway running from the M6 proper near Sutton Coldfield, skirting the north of the West Midlands/Birmingham conurbation, to join the M6 proper again to the south of Cannock, in Staffordshire.
And what a joke it is too! Built on the premise that it would relieve congestion on the M6 and unsnarl Birmingham (especially jct's 10-6), they tarred over miles of countryside. And for what? 11 cars a day that can afford to use it, and 10 of those probably missed the exit for the "proper" M6 anyway!

It should be nationalised, and free, and would then actually justifiy the enviromental impact it has caused.

(rant over).

Last edited by ljaw2002uk; Sep 2nd 2011 at 6:54 pm. Reason: typo.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Trouble is, I need my car to go pretty much anywhere I need to go, as the public transport network outside the bigger cities is basically zero. Of course, I can get to Chicago on a train that leaves from a station 1 mile from my house, but I rarely have cause to go to Chicago
I'm really looking forward to moving, but this is the one thing I am dreading - not so much from the cost point of view, but from the perspective of health and wellbeing. At the moment I have at least an hour of walking or cycling a day just built into my daily routine. I don't fancy spending that time cooped up in a car instead .

That said, driving in the US is much more fun than here (at least out of the cities) because it's so much less crowded.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
And what a joke it is too! Built on the premise that it would relieve congestion on the M6 and unsnarl Birmingham (especially jct's 10-6), they tarred over miles of countryside. And for what? 11 cars a day that can afford to use it, and 10 of those probably missed the exit for the "proper" M6 anyway!
Haha, I've been lost on the M6 toll before!
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Bacon, used to hate it now love it.
Mexican food, ditto.
Sourdough bread, ditto.
Coffee, ditto.
that reminds me...Cornbread, wasn't a fan in England, but having it here, it's quite good, especially the Trader Joes stuff

And the shopping, I can't believe it, but I saw Christmas decorations in a shop already
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:11 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really looking forward to moving, but this is the one thing I am dreading - not so much from the cost point of view, but from the perspective of health and wellbeing. At the moment I have at least an hour of walking or cycling a day just built into my daily routine. I don't fancy spending that time cooped up in a car instead .

That said, driving in the US is much more fun than here (at least out of the cities) because it's so much less crowded.
Where are you moving to? Walking to get somewhere isn't always possible, but there are usually lots of options for recreational walking/cycling. Where I live there are bike paths leading to forest preserve trails, and it's really quite nice sometimes.

I'm with you on the fun of driving though. We went on a trip up to SW Wisconsin a few weeks ago (about 160 mile one way trip mostly motorway) and the drive itself was almost as fun as the destination.

Originally Posted by Bob
that reminds me...Cornbread, wasn't a fan in England, but having it here, it's quite good, especially the Trader Joes stuff
Cornbread is the dog's bollocks, I got my dad hooked on it when he was out in July
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Trying hard to think of a view that's changed...
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:18 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Trying hard to think of a view that's changed...
I'm kind of with you there.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Where are you moving to? Walking to get somewhere isn't always possible, but there are usually lots of options for recreational walking/cycling. Where I live there are bike paths leading to forest preserve trails, and it's really quite nice sometimes.
At the moment my fiance lives near Seattle (on the Kitsap peninsula). If I end up there and working in Seattle I shouldn't need to drive that much, as I can cycle to the ferry which goes into downtown. But he is in the military and might well get moved before I get there or soon after, so we could end up somewhere totally different.

I'm not worried about having plenty of opportunity for outdoors exercise/recreation as I know there is lots of that, just not looking forward to losing all the activity that is built into my daily routine.

Especially given the amount of far superior junk food I will be stuffing my face with .
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:41 pm
I have a comma problem

At the moment my fiance lives near Seattle (on the Kitsap peninsula). If I end up there and working in Seattle I shouldn't need to drive that much, as I can cycle to the ferry which goes into downtown. But he is in the military and might well get moved before I get there or soon after, so we could end up somewhere totally different.

I'm not worried about having plenty of opportunity for outdoors exercise/recreation as I know there is lots of that, just not looking forward to losing all the activity that is built into my daily routine.

Especially given the amount of far superior junk food I will be stuffing my face with .
There may be ways to try to keep some semblance of your routine, especially if you are living close to and working in a bigger city, more opportunities to incorporate walking into your day to day activities.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:49 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Used to avoid American IPAs - now I like my beer hoppier than a box of frogs.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

There may be ways to try to keep some semblance of your routine, especially if you are living close to and working in a bigger city, more opportunities to incorporate walking into your day to day activities.
People tend to 'walk' in very strange ways, presumably seeking some particular muscle group benefit. I saw one yesterday which was straight out of the Ministry of Silly Walks.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:55 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
People tend to 'walk' in very strange ways, presumably seeking some particular muscle group benefit. I saw one yesterday which was straight out of the Ministry of Silly Walks.
I saw a bunch of those 'fast walker' types - can't remember the name of the sport but it is basically speed mincing. I damn near crashed my car
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I saw a bunch of those 'fast walker' types - can't remember the name of the sport but it is basically speed mincing. I damn near crashed my car
Yeah that kind of thing, but this was more like 'fast zombie'.

I was also driving and was quite distracted by it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.