Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So what things did you love/hate when you first arrived that you now hate/love?

So what things did you love/hate when you first arrived that you now hate/love?

Old Sep 2nd 2011, 1:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default So what things did you love/hate when you first arrived that you now hate/love?

When I first got here, I loved the buttered popcorn at the cinema...now, I think it's pretty gross. Still miss mixing up the sweet with the salt too.

Didn't like the weird collection of popcorn flavours, especially cheese when I first got here, but now I rather do.

Didn't like the bacon either when I first got here, now I rather like it, the thick cut rashers at least. Still miss Brit bacon though, especially in a sarnie.

Loved the huge parking spaces...now I just wish there were more actual slots because the parking in the burbs is so shit that they should get a ticket for being over the line

Hated the tolls on the motorway...now, we've got a EZ Pass, so I don't mind as much, especially in NH, where they're every where

Loved the snow too, now, it's just a chore.

Hated being asked for ID when going to a bar or getting booze, especially when I didn't have a US drivers license...how I don't mind, so much...means I'm not that old, yet

Hated the bottle redemption, when up in Maine...now living in Mass, where's it's so much shitter, I love the system they had in Maine.

So what about you lot?
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 3:09 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what things did you love/hate when you first arrived that you now hate/love?

im the same with bacon - buy chunky stuff and i enjoy it. i dont think about english bacon often so im just fine.

snow, snow and more snow = major PITA.

super hot humid days - also a PITA lol

(lol - i love spring and autumn!)
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what things did you love/hate when you first arrived that you now hate/love?

I now like the pre cooked bacon that takes a few seconds in the microwave!

Used to be wary of people saying "have a nice day" etc.but now miss it when I visit the UK.

Huge roads used to scare me, now I love being able to get from A to B really quickly and without any hassle.

I think once I realized that things weren't better or worse than in the UK, just different, then I felt more settled.

Oh, and ice.... A cup full of it when ordering a soda used to drive me nuts....now I can't be without it!
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Loved the huge parking spaces...now I just wish there were more actual slots because the parking in the burbs is so shit that they should get a ticket for being over the line
Popped into Aubuchon Hardware the other day and - lo and behold - there was a car there in the way which was parked across 4 separate parking spaces. I thought that was pretty bad, but then i have only been here a year. Who knows, maybe there is a chap in an SUV out there who has managed to span 5 spaces with 2 of them disabled spaces. That would have to win some kind of award.

The thing that is most annoying about parking is the people that leave shopping trolleys in the spaces instead of putting them where they are supposed to be. People who do that should be given a dose of Shar'iah law and have 'lazy arse' branded on their forehead.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

American processed cheese. Couldn't stand it at first, but now it's the only cheese that tastes right on a turkey burger, or in a grilled cheese sandwich.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Hated the tolls on the motorway...now, we've got a EZ Pass, so I don't mind as much, especially in NH, where they're every where

Loved the snow too, now, it's just a chore.
The UK actually has a motorway subject to toll charges - the M6 extension motorway running from the M6 proper near Sutton Coldfield, skirting the north of the West Midlands/Birmingham conurbation, to join the M6 proper again to the south of Cannock, in Staffordshire.

I think it would a great idea to impose toll charges on all UK motorways, if only to force every single one of the massive numbers of Continental licensed vehicles - from cars to huge juggernauts - to pay the full charges as they are currently allowed to use the UK's roads totally free of charge, while we Brits have to pay the annual road tax.

With regard to snow - yesterday the Meteorological Office issued a "warning" that the UK and the rest of northern Europe can are likely to experience another cold or very cold winter, with dollops of snow likely - the third such winter in succession. This is a country when a mere 5cm of snow results in widespread disruption - three flakes of snow falls and all the schools shut down even in urban areas let alone in the glorious British countryside - a slight exaggeration maybe, but not all that far from reality.

Schools disruption in much of the UK during the last two winters was quite amazing.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Used to hate Iced Tea (I don't like tea anyway) but now find it refreshing in this awful heat.

I too hated the bacon but now like it.

Never will like ice in my drinks, almost converted my US husband too!

I used to tolerate 'situation comedies' on the TV here years ago, now I refuse to watch that crap.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 1:31 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
three flakes of snow falls and all the schools shut down....
Sounds like SC
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 1:36 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't too happy about the salesman assault when you walk in a shop at first, but now I feel ignored if it doesn't happen.

And then the 'have a nice day' brigade always seemed over the top but is a really nice touch, especially when you go back to the UK and experience a Tesco's checkout again...

Fried chicken seemed too much but now can't live without it

Was shocked by the way stores leave their wares outside all night, but then realised it didn't get stolen

Loved the price of gas but not sure now....
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 3:40 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
Loved the price of gas but not sure now....
I think a lot of us can relate to that one . Still nothing compared to European prices, but at the same time has petrol in the UK more than doubled in price in the last 5/6 years as well?

For what it's worth, I still hate the bacon here
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

LOVED getting up everyday to 70 something degrees, sunshine & blue sky - now it's like bloody groundhog day. I WISH it would rain, maybe hail, get a bit windy or something.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 4:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh a couple more.

Hated the beer when first arrived, now, with all the craft beers, actually quite like them...not the big brand named stuff mind, but at a pinch Sam Adams seasonal stuff is okay

Oh, pancakes, I used to like them, bit of honey or sugar and lemon. Now, I can't stand the things, but because the little one adores the damn things, I put up with them, do love the maple syrup though and blueberry pancakes aren't to bad, but can't stand choc chip. Grown to like the odd side of bacon and sausages with them too but not with maple
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 4:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
The UK actually has a motorway subject to toll charges - the M6 extension motorway running from the M6 proper near Sutton Coldfield, skirting the north of the West Midlands/Birmingham conurbation, to join the M6 proper again to the south of Cannock, in Staffordshire.
I know, but I never really had course to travel up north, so never an issue.

You can't fart for hitting a toll around this particular area I'm in.

New Hampshire is the worst though, you really can clear that state in a matter of minutes and still get tolls going both ways
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 4:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Sheepdip

Was shocked by the way stores leave their wares outside all night, but then realised it didn't get stolen
Must be a SC thing, because that doesn't happen even up in Maine
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Bacon, used to hate it now love it.
Mexican food, ditto.
Sourdough bread, ditto.
Coffee, ditto.

Things I used to love but don't now...
Too many tv channels but all of it crap.
Spoilt for choice shopping wise but the materialistic culture starts to grate after a while, especially at Christmas.
Perpetually upbeat and bouncy people. Remember that Blur song, 'Magic America'? Mind you I come across the types too much up here in ME!
Big houses...pain in the arse to clean.
Big gardens...Big waste of time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.