Small SUVs

Old Nov 1st 2005, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Small SUVs

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
I've had a GMC Jimmy since May and I love it, I have the SLT which is top of the range it has a sun roof, all the usual electrics, push button switchable 4WD which even has a 4 low setting. Fuel economy is @ 18 mpg on freeways, not sure what it is around town but the jimmy doesnt seem go through as much gas as hubbys jeep cherokee. Insurance is ok (I still have issues with the cost of insurance over here, its a rip off).

Hubby has a jeep cherokee ... wouldnt recommend one to anyone who would need to use the back seat as they very uncomfortable. He's done the boyz toyz thing with it and lifted it given it larger tires etc so no idea what his fuel economy is. I guess its good for a utility vechicle but if you like a bit of comfort look elsewhere.
By the way the jeep liberty also has the same rear bench seat .... crappy and uncomfortable for travelling.

Jan
hey, i never thought about car insurance... when i move to the US should i bring no claims stuff? how much more or less is car insurance in the us compared to the uk for us brits?????
Old Nov 1st 2005, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Small SUVs

Originally Posted by basementwaj
hey, i never thought about car insurance... when i move to the US should i bring no claims stuff? how much more or less is car insurance in the us compared to the uk for us brits?????
My local guy didnt want to know about no claims from the UK. The basic premise is that it goes on number of years with US licence. In other words zero. However, because I was also buying home insurance, he got an "exemption" from the underwriters, giving me credit for my driving record in the UK (i.e. clean). The counterpart of the UK licence was all he required, showing no violations. I am paying $75 per month. He said it would be over $200 without the exemption. This is with Allstate.

Basically I am paying less than I did in the UK on my E Class with 9 years no claims, which will basically just go for a ball of chalk.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadster280
My local guy didnt want to know about no claims from the UK. The basic premise is that it goes on number of years with US licence. In other words zero. However, because I was also buying home insurance, he got an "exemption" from the underwriters, giving me credit for my driving record in the UK (i.e. clean). The counterpart of the UK licence was all he required, showing no violations. I am paying $75 per month. He said it would be over $200 without the exemption. This is with Allstate.

Basically I am paying less than I did in the UK on my E Class with 9 years no claims, which will basically just go for a ball of chalk.

hmm, interesting stuff. i guess the idea is to get car insurance with your house insurance! I dont really want to pay $2500 a year for car insurance! ha
Old Nov 1st 2005, 4:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I dont really want to pay $2500 a year for car insurance! ha

In some places, that would be considered a bargain! Where are you going?
Old Nov 1st 2005, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fatbrit
In some places, that would be considered a bargain! Where are you going?
nashville, looking at something like a Mazda RX-8
Old Nov 1st 2005, 4:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

That not a bad price at all ...
you will find though that you are with
Allstate Indemnity Company and not Allstate Insurance Company
The former being the high risk category ...
I had to marry my agent to find out Allstate's little tricks ..
Old Nov 1st 2005, 5:07 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

So you're in the sticks and it won't be too bad. Also, insurance is very different over here and you'll need to get to understand it before you buy it. Minimum insurance is often just that -- it'll get you out of a fender bender but if you wipe out an Escalade killing the wage earner and seriously maiming the 6 other occupants inside, you'll be on the hook for ever. Remember the medical bills here! Of course, if you've got no assets to protect, there's really not much they can do about it. But if you've bought a house,...
Old Nov 1st 2005, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

So you're in the sticks and it won't be too bad. Also, insurance is very different over here and you'll need to get to understand it before you buy it. Minimum insurance is often just that -- it'll get you out of a fender bender but if you wipe out an Escalade killing the wage earner and seriously maiming the 6 other occupants inside, you'll be on the hook for ever. Remember the medical bills here! Of course, if you've got no assets to protect, there's really not much they can do about it. But if you've bought a house,...
More like the Escalade will be wiping me out! Seems to me that only Expedition or Hummer drivers might survive that.

Ray - Insurance is with Allstate Property and Casualty insurance Company - I am sure they are making a pile of cash out of me, but I cant complain about the cost compared with the UK.

Last edited by Roadster280; Nov 1st 2005 at 5:18 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 5:33 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Roadster280
More like the Escalade will be wiping me out! Seems to me that only Expedition or Hummer drivers might survive that.
Make sure you know the difference between 20/30/20 and 100/300/100 before you buy, though!
Old Nov 1st 2005, 7:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you know the difference between 20/30/20 and 100/300/100 before you buy, though!
yeah...makes for an eye opener...and check what the state minimum is....which is probably around $300K liability for third party...which won't do you any good...

Though I got insurance with the concord group, which is linked to allstate, and they got me covered for $725 a year with full comp...which was great because everywhere else was charging around $850 mark for six months....oh, and i've had my state of maine license for about a year, had a UK one about 8 now .
Old Nov 1st 2005, 7:36 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I have an EXCELLENT insurance contact in Nashville at Farm Bureau

I pay about $95 a month for a Porsche 911

My wife pays $25 a month for her Jeep Cherokee

PM me if you want his details