Small SUVs

Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Small SUVs

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
We (husband and I) are currently looking at small SUVs to replace our small car. We're not buying one this second, but are doing research, since there seems to be so many out there. Does anyone own a small SUV (for example Hyundai Tucson, Jeep Liberty) and how do they like/dislike it. Does anyone have any information on any of them? Thanks for any help.
We've a Ford Explorer. Yes, it looks like a baby SUV compared to all the others, but our previous car (in the UK) was a Corsa).

We have heaps of room for four of us to go away at the weekend, and much better milage than we'd ever hoped for.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martin Wellbourne
Her Ladyship has a Hyundai Tucson - the LX V6 - and is made up with it .. nice engine, well appointed, all seats except the drivers seat fold flat ...

I'll get her to pm you when she gets back if you like ..
Oooh thanks. I actually test drove one yesterday and my husband really likes it, I'm not too sure. To me it had a lot of engine noise (we have a Hyundai Accent and it sounded just like it) We also had a look at the Saturn Vue, although we didn't test drive it because hubby didn't like the look of it. We're still going to have a look at Honda and possibly Ford (although hubby is not too keen on Ford)

Also, another thought, insurance. Haven't talked to our insurance people yet, but did anyone find their insurance went up owning a SUV?

Anyway, thanks for all of your replies, anything else anyone can think of please feel free to post.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
I cant for the life of me understand why anyone would buy a small SUV.

If your family is small enough to all fit inside a car, buy a car.
If not buy a minivan (far wiser option that a small SUV)

SUV's are dinosaurs, handle like crap,crap on gas, perform like crap, built like crap and after a few years ain't worth a crap (well the US built one's anyway).

I don't particularly like minivans but they have to be 100 times more practical than an SUV.
We have a minivan that we are pretty happy with. We're replacing our small car (which neither of us like to drive) and want something that sits a bit higher off the ground. Also, hubby wants a manual (he decided yesterday after the test drive of the Hyundai)
Old Oct 30th 2005, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I know your hubby didn't like the vue, but just in case he changes his mind. Do not get the vue with the 2.5 litre engine. Get the bigger 3.5 litre that has a bit more omph!. My mother in law has a brand new vue, which is not a bad car, but she bought the small engine version and it sucks power wise.

I think our insurance went up about $15 a month going from a Focus to an Xterra.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I know your hubby didn't like the vue, but just in case he changes his mind. Do not get the vue with the 2.5 litre engine. Get the bigger 3.5 litre that has a bit more omph!. My mother in law has a brand new vue, which is not a bad car, but she bought the small engine version and it sucks power wise.

I think our insurance went up about $15 a month going from a Focus to an Xterra.
Thanks for the information on the Vue. I think we should go back and test drive it, but we'll see. The other thing we didn't like about the Vue was the warranty. 3 years or 36k miles seems pretty puny. And the salesman says "And its all American made" like that's going to get us to buy it.

Have to call our insurance and check. $15 isn't a bad hike.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 5:19 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Had a Honda CRV for the last two years. Quite happy with it. Insurance less than for my Civic. Gas mileage ~ 22 to 28 depending on how much of it is in-town. Good in snow. Only thing that I'm less than happy with is the 4-speed auto - could use a 5-speed auto, although I think this is standard on the new ones. Stock tyres are not too good either - get rid of those if you get one. Considered the RAV-4 as well, but not quite what I wanted (the insurance is supposedly higher too). Never even thought about the Escape, although a lot of people seem to like them.

As for the Saturn Vue - not my cup of tea, but at least the larger engine is a Honda V6.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Had a Honda CRV for the last two years. Quite happy with it. Insurance less than for my Civic. Gas mileage ~ 22 to 28 depending on how much of it is in-town. Good in snow. Only thing that I'm less than happy with is the 4-speed auto - could use a 5-speed auto, although I think this is standard on the new ones. Stock tyres are not too good either - get rid of those if you get one. Considered the RAV-4 as well, but not quite what I wanted (the insurance is supposedly higher too). Never even thought about the Escape, although a lot of people seem to like them.

As for the Saturn Vue - not my cup of tea, but at least the larger engine is a Honda V6.
My 2 cents. I bought a Chrysler Pacifica yesterday. After much research, I thought it the ideal compromise between a) comfort/luxury. b) practicality, 6 seats, fair size load space. c) driveability.

Obviously I don't know what it's like to own over a period of time, but the numerous test drives I have had indicate it's a good car. I initially looked at used ones, which drove barely any different to a new one after 30k miles. However, thieving ba$tards at the local dealers (as in plural, many dealers) all wanted top dollar for a used one. I spent every last cent and bought a new one with no options from CarMax. Saved $3k over one from a traditional dealer, all fitted with useless options like adjustable pedals! Still only $4k more than the used ones.

I don't like CarMax, but they are cheap. I'm sure I will get over buying from the "enemy".

I'm happy with my choice, comparing it with my old car in the UK (Merc E class). As I said, just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Roadster280; Oct 30th 2005 at 9:54 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 12:04 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadster280

I'm happy with my choice, comparing it with my old car in the UK (Merc E class). As I said, just my 2 cents.
probably won't notice that much difference - the pacifica is essentially the old shape e class
Old Oct 31st 2005, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
probably won't notice that much difference - the pacifica is essentially the old shape e class
Thanks for your encouragement, but I can't agree that it's anything like the same car. E class is basically rear drive, longitudinal engine. Pacifica is basically front drive, transverse engine. Engine itself is Chrysler V6, not Merc 4/V6/V8. Gearbox is Autostick, not Tiptronic (i.e. Autostick doesnt change gear within driver selected limits). Both cars have all wheel drive options, but not the same.

It does seem very similar to Merc R Class.

However, straying from Small SUVs into crossovers! Sorry.

Last edited by Roadster280; Oct 31st 2005 at 12:37 am.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 12:10 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself a MINI SUV

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/funonw...cnn_topstories
Old Oct 31st 2005, 2:20 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had an 02 Honda CR-V for over three and a half years now. It's essentially been flawless, it drives and handles very well, it's the right size for a two-kid family and seems very well designed on the interior.

Problems: even though it's 4WD, it's slightly scary to drive in the snow. My Mazda6 is better in the winter. Also, the 4 cyl. engine is a little anaemic.

Don't get a Liberty, they have awful quality ratings and apparently drive like shit compared to a Rav4 or CR-V (I've never driven one, though). The Escape is a completely obsolete design and my friend's one seems to break down on a weekly basis. The Subaru Forrester is supposedly terrific. I've driven a Rav4 and they are very nicely made.

I think 4WD station wagons are truly the way to go, but most Americans seemingly wouldn't be caught dead in one. Our loss. I'd love to get this car:

It's a Lancer Evo X wagon. Over 300HP (400 pound feet) at the flywheel and the thing apparenly handles like a rallycross racer. It also sells for about 35K. I even like the way it looks, sort of a Volvo on steroids. It's sold in Japan only...too bad.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 2:35 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Don't get a Liberty, they have awful quality ratings and apparently drive like shit compared to a Rav4 or CR-V (I've never driven one, though).
I bought a Wrangler when I got here and I don't plan on driving anything else Its worth at least as much as I paid for it 3 years ago, you can buy every single part for it easily, and I still get people telling me they wish they had one. The best thing about it is it does what it looks like it is supposed to do! Not for everyone but I wouldnt swap it.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 4:14 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
I bought a Wrangler when I got here and I don't plan on driving anything else Its worth at least as much as I paid for it 3 years ago, you can buy every single part for it easily, and I still get people telling me they wish they had one. The best thing about it is it does what it looks like it is supposed to do! Not for everyone but I wouldnt swap it.
Wrangler's a different story.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 4:32 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Wrangler's a different story.

um, yep, it sure is. The Liberty tries to do lots of things and achieves none. The Wrangler is damn good at what it does if you dont need a walnut dash
Old Oct 31st 2005, 4:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I think 4WD station wagons are truly the way to go, but most Americans seemingly wouldn't be caught dead in one. Our loss. I'd love to get this car:

It's a Lancer Evo X wagon. Over 300HP (400 pound feet) at the flywheel and the thing apparenly handles like a rallycross racer. It also sells for about 35K. I even like the way it looks, sort of a Volvo on steroids. It's sold in Japan only...too bad.
you seen the Volvo CX-90? I think that's the model...but anyway, not a bad looking 4x4 estate car jobby either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.