Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Slowly starting to Americanize my speech

Slowly starting to Americanize my speech

Old Nov 21st 2013, 4:35 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slowly starting to Americanize my speech

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It's definitely a more Southern pronunciation.
What a place. I was in the south once, driving through to Florida. The only thing to be said in favour of the south is those all you can eat chain restaurants on the highway. The foods not very good, but there's lots of it.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 4:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
What a place. I was in the south once, driving through to Florida. The only thing to be said in favour of the south is those all you can eat chain restaurants on the highway. The foods not very good, but there's lots of it.
So far my only experience with the South is a short stay in Kentucky, down by Mammoth Caves. I quite liked the scenery but had very interaction with the locals beyond park rangers, given that Cave City is essentially a resort town. I did go to a Walmart in Glasgow but didn't really pay much attention to what was going on.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 4:44 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes, it's a shame that never took off.
Realistically, I suppose Esperanto's chances were killed off by the rise of English as a world language. Also, it is much too Eurocentric, which is understandable given that it was developed in the 19th century.

Quite a few radio stations broadcast in Esperanto, and of course there is plenty of web content in Esperanto, blogs etc.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 5:04 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
That is my understanding too -- however, I am given to understand that much of the way in the differences occurred after independence. Dictionaries came into widespread use in the early 19th Century. England had had two different 'gallons' -- by and by the US used only one and the UK the other.
If only it were that simple, the wine gallon (US) and ale gallon (similar to Imperial) were both in use in the British Empire but the UK standardized on a modified ale gallon in 1824. The wine gallon continued in the US.

In detail: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon
Old Nov 21st 2013, 6:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's a shame that never took off.
Well it would have made literature, theatre, and films difficult, and poetry and dong writing just about impossible. The effect of a massively reduced number of single-use words would be reduce verbal and written communication to barely more than a computer program devoid of emotion and nuance. IMO It is no wonder it didn't take off, it was a doomed prospect from the outset.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 6:44 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

But isn't that what America has done to English?

When I'm in the UK people come out with all kinds of words that I have a hard time wrapping my head around, living in N America appears to have reduced my vocabulary. Someone mentioned "fly tipping" to me and I hadn't got a clue what they meant, and that whole "chav" thing too.

If you use words of any complexity people look at you as if you're from another planet. Like "optometrist" (eye doctor) or "restaurant" (eatery). You know, hard stuff like that.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 10:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well it would have made literature, theatre, and films difficult, and poetry and dong writing just about impossible. The effect of a massively reduced number of single-use words would be reduce verbal and written communication to barely more than a computer program devoid of emotion and nuance. IMO It is no wonder it didn't take off, it was a doomed prospect from the outset.
Yes - there are novels, poetry and films created in Esperanto, but remarkably few.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - there are novels, poetry and films created in Esperanto, but remarkably few.
I thought the point of it was to use as a second language allowing easier communication between speakers of different first languages.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 11:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the point of it was to use as a second language allowing easier communication between speakers of different first languages.
So it's equally difficult and inconvenient for everyone. Great idea!
Old Nov 21st 2013, 11:17 pm

I am surprised you seem unaware of one explanation for the failure of Esperanto to attract more speakers, that I read about when I first heard of the language back in the early 1980's, which was that what makes a language appealing is the writing and performance art that uses it. Esperanto, famously, doesn't have a word for synonym, because there are none in Esperanto, which makes writing interesting poetry and essays virtually impossible, especially when coupled with the very limited vocabulary.

Esperanto is a basic communication tool, designed for optimum efficiency. So while the complexity and beauty of the writings of Shakespeare make for compelling theatre, watching a plumber using tools is generally not considered to be a interesting evening's entertainment, no matter how well the tools are designed or the skill with which he uses them.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 12:06 am
Heading for Poppyland

I am surprised you seem unaware of one explanation for the failure of Esperanto to attract more speakers, that I read about when I first heard of the language back in the early 1980's, which was that what makes a language appealing is the writing and performance art that uses it.
Er .. What? I really don't get this bit. What did I write that made it seem I'm unaware of that? I agree 100% with what you wrote in this post .....
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 12:17 am
Heading for Poppyland

Also, wasn't the idea (at a time when French was the language of diplomacy) to have an artificial medium for international conferences and treaties etc., that wouldn't privilege one nation above another. A bit of an anachronistic ideal from today's point of view, since it is derived from the major European languages and written in Latin script, and doesn't include non European language elements, as far as I know.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 12:23 am

Er .. What? I really don't get this bit. What did I write that made it seem I'm unaware of that? I agree 100% with what you wrote in this post .....
I wrote:
.... Well it would have made literature, theatre, and films difficult, and poetry and dong writing just about impossible. ....
And you responded, in contradiction:
Yes - there are novels, poetry and films created in Esperanto
I took that to mean, in saying there are works of literature, though "remarkably few" that you didn't that as a fundamental impediment to the success of the language.

Sorry if I misconstrued your reply.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 12:29 am
Heading for Poppyland

I wrote:
And you responded, in contradiction:

I took that to mean, in saying there are works of literature, though "remarkably few" that you didn't that as a fundamental impediment to the success of the language.

Sorry if I misconstrued your reply.
I wrote; "Yes - there are novels, poetry and films created in Esperanto, but remarkably few."

Which I intended as agreeing with, and indeed reinforcing, your point. How you could take a simple one sentence statement as a response in contradiction ..

Of course, if we both learnt Esperanto, we could communicate with absolute precision and no danger of nuance or misunderstanding!
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 12:41 am

.... Of course, if we both learnt Esperanto, we could communicate with absolute precision and no danger of nuance or misunderstanding!
Well (at least) one of us won't be learning Esperanto this side of Hell freezing over!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.