Reload this Page >

Skiing in Colorado

Skiing in Colorado

Old Jan 9th 2018, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skiing in Colorado

Originally Posted by neill
Meh, sun is so high in Colorado even in winter, does it even matter?
Matters a lot, snow has all melted where I am except for the north side.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brandy07
Yes we’re in the US in PA. Thanks for the info. Not thought about Utah as hubby really wants to go to Colorado this year. Looking to go in March when the kids are off school.
I would highly recommend Park City in Utah some point for a winter skiing break. eautiful little are, and nice ski resorts too.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 1:20 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
We've been to Taos NM for the last 4 years. We are all good to excellent skiiers and find 5 days there is great.
Ah, my “home” mountain. 😊 It’s the driest I’ve ever seen it this year, though.

You’ll like Telluride. If they get any snow in the next couple of months. Depending on how you’re getting there, you might make a short stop in Ouray for non-skiing activities. And if you want to explore for an extra ski day or two, consider Crested Butte. One year I managed to hit Telluride, Crested Butte, Monarch, and Taos on closing weekend. Good times...
Old Jan 10th 2018, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Assuming you’re in the US. A very low snow year so far in the west, so you might leave it until the last minute unless you find a screaming package deal. They do exist, but they’re not as common as they are for the Alps.

IMHO, Utah is a better deal for what you seem to be looking for. Not sure if they still exist, but there used to be package deals that covered Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons at very reasonable rates, allowing you to choose which of seven resorts you wanted to be at on a day to day basis.
Plenty of snow in the Northern Rockies: Jackson Hole, Sun Valley, Big Sky
Old Jan 10th 2018, 11:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by johnadword
Hello
Hello
Old Jan 10th 2018, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd personally avoid Crested Butte.

Went for a long weekend with my wife and it was basically full of college kids being dicks. Could have just been we were unlucky with the weekend we picked but I've also heard similar rumblings from others.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 2:07 pm
Account Closed

I heard Crested Butte is full of Texans.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Breckenridge and Vail - both great skiing, plenty of variety for all skiiers. Vail is huge and never got bored during a week there. Breckenridge was great for a week too, but we mixed a day at Beaver as well on that trip.
Both a good drive from Denver airport, so account for that. Breckenridge is super high, watch for altitude sickness, only place we got it.
Utah was amazing skiing to and so close to the airport, which makes a big difference on a short trip.

For all those trips we used VRBO or Airbnb to rent a whole house - easy and cheap, especially compared to Europe where there is a lot less available to rent a 3 or 4 bed house.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brandy07
Yes we’re in the US in PA. Thanks for the info. Not thought about Utah as hubby really wants to go to Colorado this year. Looking to go in March when the kids are off school.
Curious, have you thought about Vermont?

PA is a mere few hours drive away and given the weather in the east coast the conditions should be pretty great up there this time of the year.

Bear Mountain/PIKO are solid options.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 5:15 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercury39
Breckenridge and Vail - both great skiing, plenty of variety for all skiiers. Vail is huge and never got bored during a week there. Breckenridge was great for a week too, but we mixed a day at Beaver as well on that trip.
Both a good drive from Denver airport, so account for that. Breckenridge is super high, watch for altitude sickness, only place we got it.
Utah was amazing skiing to and so close to the airport, which makes a big difference on a short trip.

For all those trips we used VRBO or Airbnb to rent a whole house - easy and cheap, especially compared to Europe where there is a lot less available to rent a 3 or 4 bed house.
Breck isn't super high. It's the same as Copper, Keystone and most of A-Basin.
You must've just been dehydrated. I believe most of Summit County skiing is much higher than the Alps. Never been there myself.

Anyway, tip for anyone not used to the altitude. Drink oodles and oodles of water. You don't realize you're sweating as much as you do, and staying hydrated will prevent most cases of altitude sickness.

Had a friend come over and I told him about this. Drinking water.
He went from sea level on Friday, and on the Sunday, was trying to learn to snowboard at 13,000ft. Got a headache and got dizzy.

Me: You need to drink! (Meaning water.)
Scott: <Buys a cappuccino>

Avoid caffeine. And if your body hasn't acclimatized, alcohol can be trippy.
Three beers on the slopes and you can get quite buzzed...

Enjoy
Old Jan 11th 2018, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

Where do you learn to Snowboard at 13K?
Old Jan 11th 2018, 5:34 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Where do you learn to Snowboard at 13K?
Arapahoe Basin.

"With a base of close to 11,000, and a summit elevation more than 13,000! Arapahoe Basin Ski Area has the highest skiable terrain in North America and a vertical drop of 2,270'."

Okay, you called me out. It was probably closer to 11,700.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Jan 11th 2018 at 5:36 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

SteveSweet is an unknown quantity at this point

From the US skiing I've done (Jackson Hole, Breckenridge, Vail, Park City, Deer Valley), Park City in Utah was the best- great powder and the the far right Super Condor Express lift plus back down through the trees was a winner. We were unlucky with snow in Jackson Hole.

Breckenridge was a lot of fun too, and a big area. Their social app which gave you points for runs etc. was a novelty to me at the time time, but I imagine a lot of places have that sort of thing now.