British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Skiing in Colorado (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/skiing-colorado-907627/)

Brandy07 Jan 7th 2018 1:41 pm

Skiing in Colorado

This year we really want to go skiing in Colorado. We have a 9 and 7 year old that have skied in France the last 3 years. Any recommendations of which resort(s) to look at going to for families? We’re leaning towards Breckenridge. Are there any online travel agents where you can book a package ski holiday (flights, transfers, accommodation, lift pass, ski rental, ski lessons) - I’m struggling to find one that does everything!

Noorah101 Jan 7th 2018 2:50 pm

Re: Skiing in Colorado

I don't know, but that sounds so awesome, can I go with you? LOL

I skied once at Lake Tahoe and it was gorgeous.

Rene

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 7th 2018 2:58 pm

Steamboat

I live here so do not know about package tours but have had friends from the UK ski in Colorado and think they bought a package. Or look at the big resorts operators but doubt they would include flights.

to start:

https://www.steamboat.com/plan-your-...kaAv9_EALw_wcB

Brandy07 Jan 7th 2018 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12413072)
I don't know, but that sounds so awesome, can I go with you? LOL

I skied once at Lake Tahoe and it was gorgeous.

Rene

😂 since we’re here it’s on our list of must-do’s!

Brandy07 Jan 7th 2018 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12413076)
Steamboat

I live here so do not know about package tours but have had friends from the UK ski in Colorado and think they bought a package. Or look at the big resorts operators but doubt they would include flights.

to start:

https://www.steamboat.com/plan-your-...kaAv9_EALw_wcB

Thank you - I’ll check this out

AdobePinon Jan 7th 2018 7:26 pm

Assuming you’re in the US. A very low snow year so far in the west, so you might leave it until the last minute unless you find a screaming package deal. They do exist, but they’re not as common as they are for the Alps.

IMHO, Utah is a better deal for what you seem to be looking for. Not sure if they still exist, but there used to be package deals that covered Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons at very reasonable rates, allowing you to choose which of seven resorts you wanted to be at on a day to day basis.

BenK91 Jan 7th 2018 10:24 pm

Another vote for Steamboat.

We go to Copper quite often and Winter Park is also worth a look.

RollingStones Jan 7th 2018 10:40 pm

Hve you not thought about the Poconos. They have loads of snow this year. We're going early February.

BenK91 Jan 7th 2018 10:44 pm

Just to add, saw you had younger children that have some experience. Eldora could also be worth a look, it's close to Boulder if you're into nice towns full of pretentious hipsters... :lol:

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 7th 2018 10:58 pm

Eldore would not be on my list of places to go if I was flying in.

BenK91 Jan 7th 2018 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12413347)
Eldore would not be on my list of places to go if I was flying in.

Certainly wouldn’t make it the centerpiece of my trip but for kids and a day trip to Boulder it certainly could be worth a look.

Englishmum Jan 8th 2018 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Brandy07 (Post 12413038)
This year we really want to go skiing in Colorado. We have a 9 and 7 year old that have skied in France the last 3 years. Any recommendations of which resort(s) to look at going to for families? We’re leaning towards Breckenridge. Are there any online travel agents where you can book a package ski holiday (flights, transfers, accommodation, lift pass, ski rental, ski lessons) - I’m struggling to find one that does everything!

Unlike the UK there are (sadly)very few package tour operators in the US.

The only one I can think of which has a (limited choice) of US and overseas ski packages is Apple Vacations. Even Costco Travel doesn’t offer ski vacations.

All-Inclusive Vacations | America’s #1 Tour Operator | Apple Vacations

This UK website is very interesting as it is a broker for all the big UK ski travel operators (including Mark Warner) and I’ve heard that they do amazing discounts on last minute travel....it is quite possible that they could easily put something together for you but in any case they have short videos and piste maps of the major ski destinations in North America, Europe and Japan, with info on the amenities at the ski resorts:

Www.igluski.com

Hope this helps!

Brandy07 Jan 8th 2018 2:29 am

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 12413210)
Assuming you’re in the US. A very low snow year so far in the west, so you might leave it until the last minute unless you find a screaming package deal. They do exist, but they’re not as common as they are for the Alps.

IMHO, Utah is a better deal for what you seem to be looking for. Not sure if they still exist, but there used to be package deals that covered Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons at very reasonable rates, allowing you to choose which of seven resorts you wanted to be at on a day to day basis.

Yes we’re in the US in PA. Thanks for the info. Not thought about Utah as hubby really wants to go to Colorado this year. Looking to go in March when the kids are off school.

Brandy07 Jan 8th 2018 2:32 am

Originally Posted by BenK91 (Post 12413327)
Another vote for Steamboat.

We go to Copper quite often and Winter Park is also worth a look.

Thanks. I did look at Copper as one option especially as it’s not too far from Denver airport. I just need to narrow down a couple of resorts that would suit us all then go from there.

Brandy07 Jan 8th 2018 2:34 am

Originally Posted by RollingStones (Post 12413336)
Hve you not thought about the Poconos. They have loads of snow this year. We're going early February.

Yes - we’re planning on a few 1-2 day trips there but want to do a week in Colorado (hubby has his heart set on going there once while we’re here!)