Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Single parent moving to USA

Single parent moving to USA

Old May 4th 2020, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single parent moving to USA

It can be hard to have a dream shattered !
Old May 4th 2020, 2:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Plus, wouldn't she need permission from the children's father to move them to the USA?

Rene
Old May 4th 2020, 3:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

IMO the OP read about the job or heard about it from someone and thought ‘I could do that’, without knowing about the obstacles.
Old May 4th 2020, 5:42 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am not sure how anyone could calculate with any degree of certainty what their US after-tax pay would be when the tax system in the US is so convoluted, with federal income tax, usually state income tax and sometimes city income tax. Then there is the cost of health insurance, which might as well be a tax, to consider. And the cost of childcare can be very considerable, starting around $1,000/mth per child in a dedicated facility, (and could be twice or even three times as much in a high cost area) or starting around half that if you're willing to roll the dice with "in-house child care".

And as a single parent, what happens when your child is sick, and/or needs to go to a doctor? Irrespective of whatever pay is offered I would recommend extreme caution for a single parent considering relocating to the US.
Calculating the taxes is actually one of the easier things to do. While the IRS calculators don’t do the state and local tools like this do, you then need to know what will be dedicated pre tax for healthcare and lower the income by that. This will give you a conservative estimate. Any credits will all be in your favor like for children or childcare costs etc.

https://smartasset.com/taxes/income-taxes#8NCto8RRcL

backing out the $35k implies a salary of $45k gross before healthcare benefit deductions if they are even offered.

But I agree with your main point, we have 2 young children and as you note the childcare costs a lot. When you add in sick kids or parents the only way we make it through is my wife’s family who are less than 3h drive away coming to stay/help. The model over here is not set-up to support solo parents like it is in other countries.
Old May 6th 2020, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thrifty and couldn't live on $45,000 a year!
Old May 6th 2020, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

I’m very surprised to see a job in Portland being offered on such a low salary. I don’t live in Portland but not far away. That’s a poverty-level wage in this part of the world. We are two adults and a three-year-old and there’s no way we could even pay our basic outgoings on that knowing the cost of living in Portland.

OP, why Portland? Have you been there? Do you know someone there? If you know someone who lives in the city itself, especially someone with young children, run the figures by them and see what they say.
Old May 6th 2020, 1:33 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

for most people, housing is their biggest expense and whilst I don't know the rental market in Oregon, here in Austin you'd struggle to get approved for a rent more than 30% of your gross salary. If the OP's salary is $45K gross, then that would be around $1300 per month for rent.

What can she rent for that amount as maximum? I looked on zillow.com and for that rent for a 2 bedroom - they all seemed to be lower-end apartment buildings in one particular part of Portland which suggests not the best area. With a net salary of $35k, her available income after a $1300 rent would be a shade under $1700 which I wouldn't want to live on with 2 young kids. Especially considering health care costs not factored in.
MrsBell, as you might surmise from my username, I have lived in France and I was there for over 10 years. Take it from me, France is a much better place to be on a low income with kids than the USA. You get much more help financially from the state.
It also sounds like your ex should be paying child maintenance and if he stops paying when you move to the USA, I don't know how on earth you would enforce anything.
Also, already mentioned is the FACT that you must have the children's father's permission to move them here. Especially coming from France which takes the children's rights to have both parents involved in their upbringing very seriously indeed.
Old May 6th 2020, 1:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Here is an example of what your budget might look like, updated and tweaked from a post I made several years ago.

Net pay of $2,900/mth ($35k/yr) might go something like this: you might get lucky and find somewhere that is acceptable for $1,000, but I am not familiar with Portland and I suspect that won't get much for that. Then a vehicle: finance on a vehicle say $400/mth in loans, but insurance is pricy to start with, so could be $200/mth, then tax, serving, inspection and registration another $25/mth (average), petrol is cheap, but you'll find you use a lot more, so a tank full per vehicle every two weeks would be $75/mth. Food and household consumables will cost more in the US than you'd expect, for three of you probably around $750/mth, certainly not much less than that. Utilities: tend to be more than in the UK, and you're probably looking at average of $75/mth year round average for assuming an apartment (double that for a house), Health insurance isn't quite what it seems, so allow $300/month for out of pocket expenditures (copays and deductibles), which would probably get you a GP appointment and a prescription copay.

If my mental arithmetic is correct we have got a total of $2,825/mth, leaving $75/mth for clothing, meals out/ entertainment, holidays/ traveling home to the UK/ France, and everything else, including cell phone, and cable TV. Looking back at the numbers, even if you and your children are super-healthy and rarely go to see a doctor, and are super-careful with your food and household consumables, you'd only have maybe $500 "extra" and that wouldn't cover child care, which isn't even in my draft budget above!

Honestly rent on an acceptable home is the biggest issue you may face - you can "go cheap" but might not like it, or pay more and risk a budget crisis.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 6th 2020 at 2:13 pm.