Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sicko - so who has now seen the film?

Wikiposts

Sicko - so who has now seen the film?

Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:55 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sicko - so who has now seen the film?

As MM says in the movie, keeping people in fear, especially fear of losing one's job and with it health insurance, keeps them obeying like sheep. Health insurance available at one's job is both a precious asset and an albatross around the neck.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:09 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop
I know someone who has just been dignosed with the big C. The initial pills he needs for his chemo will cost $1400, and he has insurance. Sadly, its VISA who's going to make out here.......:curse::curse: :
That is the thing that scares me most about healthcare here.
You can have good insurance and still not be able to afford to get well.
What would happen to someone who couldn't afford that $1400 and all the rest of it?
Is that when you sell the house, or is there other help available?
Looking at general house prices here, selling up wouldn't get you much treatment and where would you live?
Or do some people have huge savings just incase this sort of thing happens?
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:44 am

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jumping doris
That is the thing that scares me most about healthcare here.
You can have good insurance and still not be able to afford to get well.
What would happen to someone who couldn't afford that $1400 and all the rest of it?
Is that when you sell the house, or is there other help available?
Looking at general house prices here, selling up wouldn't get you much treatment and where would you live?
Or do some people have huge savings just incase this sort of thing happens?
If you talk to people, the average septic has a 401K but no savings as such. The individual credit debt here is nuts..........
Lets put it this way, if the person I happen to know doesn't pay for the pills somehow........well..........
If he pleads poverty, the fact that he and his OH are both working wont help with getting county services........believe there is an income threshold for gaining access to these.

Even county services are no guarantee as they can vary wildy within and between states........still requiring some payments irregardless.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:47 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I......Even county services are no guarantee as they can vary wildy within and between states........still requiring some payments irregardless.
This is something that some people who say that 'you will get treatment even if you don't have insurance' often forget: they will treat you - but they WILL bill you for it. And pursue you for the money.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Elvira
This is something that some people who say that 'you will get treatment even if you don't have insurance' often forget: they will treat you - but they WILL bill you for it. And pursue you for the money.
Ooooooh Aaaaah
Old Jul 9th 2007, 2:25 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Question is: Do we really, really think that the corporations in America are going to allow a Universal Health System? Are we fu/king kidding???? We really dont run things here people........businesses do. :curse:
Sure they will, it will happen. I think it will work like this: (simplified, because I'm ignorant) The govt will hire the current Healthcare companies to run the system as contractors. These companies will charge the govt; and the govt will charge us. Everybody gets healthcare and everybody gets a cut. Win win.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 2:30 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
So.... a government-INSURED Medicare system isn't good enough for the old folk? Do we hate our elderly that much? Or is it.... okay?
I'll be the first to admit I'm ignorant about the Medicare system. Is it a good system? I'd be suprised if anything run by the govt actually worked and wasn't a beaurocratic nightmare. I was thinking more along the lines of a US/NHS being a giant VA, which I haven't heard good things about.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Sure they will, it will happen. I think it will work like this: (simplified, because I'm ignorant) The govt will hire the current Healthcare companies to run the system as contractors. These companies will charge the govt; and the govt will charge us. Everybody gets healthcare and everybody gets a cut. Win win.
I love Septics like you (not Biblically)......it means there's hope yet

......Govt hires the Hospital admin as direct contractors? Passes a bill to make Insurance Company involvement in Healthcare illegal?......Unless as an additional second option?

Not a bad idea that, a good start .........lets just hope the Pres who's in office at the time doesn't visit Dealy Plaza tho.....
Old Jul 9th 2007, 2:48 am
Unmitigated Gall

I love Septics like you (not Biblically)......it means there's hope yet

......Govt hires the Hospital admin as direct contractors? Passes a bill to make Insurance Company involvement in Healthcare illegal?......Unless as an additional second option?

Not a bad idea that, a good start .........lets just hope the Pres who's in office at the time doesn't visit Dealy Plaza tho.....
The only problem I can see (Besides the fact that my healthcare is in the hands of the govt. even by proxy) with it is that the tax hit on my paycheck (even considering what I currently pay for health insurance) will hurt. Remember, we will also be paying for the 45million who are currently uninsured as well as making sure the health care contractors make a buck or two out of the deal and paying for the big new Govt. red tape manufacturing facility to administrate the whole thing.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 4:27 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
It stinks :curse::curse:
Totally agree. In the UK, the healthcare isn't top notch and could implement changes, but whenever I had been to see a GP, I wasn't rushed out the door after 5 minutes, and I always felt that my issue was taken care of properly.

In the US, however, I felt like I was in a revolving door. I make an appointment, take time off work for it, sit in the waiting room for 45 mins despite having an appointment, see the doc, they throw a script at me that'll cost a f**king fortune (insurance doesn't cover scripts), and the meds don't do any good anyway. My employer pays for my insurance but I still have to pay a hefty deductible before any treatment is covered.

It's such a shame, because that is one of the major reasons why I want to move back to the UK. Praying that I don't get sick in the meantime........
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:00 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
So.... a government-INSURED Medicare system isn't good enough for the old folk? Do we hate our elderly that much? Or is it.... okay?
The wifes grandpa just had a huge stroke. It is a sad tale I'm afraid, made more so by the fact that after working all their lives they now have to sell all they have worked for to pay for initial medical care and the after care involved. They retired some years back and sold their home to buy a bloody big RV. They would bugger off for the Michigan winter and head south every year. A happier couple you could not have met.
Now they are having to movein to an apartment and file bankruptcy. All for a few short weeks in hospital and some home care afterward. In the hospital is a huge mural on the wall saying - serving the poor! Made me want to gag.

I should mention also that he is not out of the woods yet and his wife has been told that, should he pass, she will not be entitled to his teamsters pension. Makes you sick dont it.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:02 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
The wifes grandpa just had a huge stroke. It is a sad tale I'm afraid, made more so by the fact that after working all their lives they now have to sell all they have worked for to pay for initial medical care and the after care involved. They retired some years back and sold their home to buy a bloody big RV. They would bugger off for the Michigan winter and head south every year. A happier couple you could not have met.
Now they are having to movein to an apartment and file bankruptcy. All for a few short weeks in hospital and some home care afterward. In the hospital is a huge mural on the wall saying - serving the poor! Made me want to gag.

I should mention also that he is not out of the woods yet and his wife has been told that, should he pass, she will not be entitled to his teamsters pension. Makes you sick dont it.
Sorry to hear about this S.S. Hope he recovers fully.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Totally agree. In the UK, the healthcare isn't top notch and could implement changes, but whenever I had been to see a GP, I wasn't rushed out the door after 5 minutes, and I always felt that my issue was taken care of properly.

In the US, however, I felt like I was in a revolving door. I make an appointment, take time off work for it, sit in the waiting room for 45 mins despite having an appointment, see the doc, they throw a script at me that'll cost a f**king fortune (insurance doesn't cover scripts), and the meds don't do any good anyway. My employer pays for my insurance but I still have to pay a hefty deductible before any treatment is covered.

It's such a shame, because that is one of the major reasons why I want to move back to the UK. Praying that I don't get sick in the meantime........
We have prescription/meds insurance.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:09 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Sorry to hear about this S.S. Hope he recovers fully.
It seems unlikely but thanks. It would have been less hard to bare for all concerned if not for the added financial worry of course. Oh well.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
It seems unlikely but thanks. It would have been less hard to bare for all concerned if not for the added financial worry of course. Oh well.
It dont bare thinking about getting old in this country

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.