Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Show and Tell

Show and Tell

Old Dec 13th 2006, 2:17 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Show and Tell

Originally Posted by dbark
You could talk about the different holidays, US vs. UK - like how we don't have 4th July or Thanksgiving, but we do have Guy Fawkes Night etc. Also some of the food differences, and how we use different words for things like trash/rubbish, loo/restroom, etc etc. They will also love your pronunciation of words like banana and tomato.
Guy Fawkes night is a good one, a whole country celebrating Anti-Catholicism
Old Dec 13th 2006, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
All good suggestions. And me thinking I would take in some snaps of Buck House and Big Ben.
Please do let us know how you got on as I was asked a while back by my Sons Teacher to do the same, been hiding ever since No really I dont need to go to the school " School Bus" she might of forgot by now.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 2:30 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
...... I was asked a while back by my Sons Teacher to do the same, been hiding ever since No really I dont need to go to the school " School Bus" she might of forgot by now.
I'm embarrassed to say I did the same...
Old Dec 13th 2006, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I'm embarrassed to say I did the same...
Well I never Elvira not like us to shy away from anything is it
Old Dec 13th 2006, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Please do let us know how you got on as I was asked a while back by my Sons Teacher to do the same, been hiding ever since No really I dont need to go to the school " School Bus" she might of forgot by now.
Awww, come on you guys! You complain that "Yanks" are an ignorant bunch, yet when you have the opportunity to "educate" the poor young souls on the wonderments of all things British, you chicken out. Here's your chance! Take the bull by the horns! Get them when they're young!
Old Dec 13th 2006, 2:42 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Well I never Elvira not like us to shy away from anything is it

Shyness has nowt to do with it - I'm just a lazy whatsit
Old Dec 13th 2006, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Having had the dubious pleasure of giving talks to schoolchildren,guides,brownies and scouts in my equally dubious past I found that about 6 minutes in the maximum attention span of this age grooup.After talking about the queen,a little history the country's location,start to ask a few questions of them.get a map to indicate where the UK is etc and remember speak slowly because they will be overawed by the accent and if slow enough it takes up the time aswell.Good luck.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Awww, come on you guys! You complain that "Yanks" are an ignorant bunch, yet when you have the opportunity to "educate" the poor young souls on the wonderments of all things British, you chicken out. Here's your chance! Take the bull by the horns! Get them when they're young!
Look mate the grown ups have a job trying to understand me, then what hope do I have with the little one's
Old Dec 13th 2006, 3:15 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbark
You could talk about the different holidays, US vs. UK - like how we don't have 4th July or Thanksgiving, but we do have Guy Fawkes Night etc. Also some of the food differences, and how we use different words for things like trash/rubbish, loo/restroom, etc etc. They will also love your pronunciation of words like banana and tomato.
I had thought of the different holidays and foods, I even thought about printing off a recipe for curry and giving them all a copy to take home, hadn't thought of the pronunciation thing though. Nice idea, kids will definately get a kick out of that. Also, maybe explain about soccer/football as it is only really kids who play it here. And whoops, sorry elvira, I am always doing that. Shant happen again
Old Dec 13th 2006, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

I had thought of the different holidays and foods, I even thought about printing off a recipe for curry and giving them all a copy to take home, hadn't thought of the pronunciation thing though. Nice idea, kids will definately get a kick out of that. Also, maybe explain about soccer/football as it is only really kids who play it here. And whoops, sorry elvira, I am always doing that. Shant happen again

My septic nieces and nephews ask us a lot of questions about where we lived, why we speak the way we do, and the different holidays (they thought Guy Fawkes sounded interesting as they like bonfires, but wouldn't want to experience Halloween on a modified scale). They love having crackers for Christmas, like English sweets, ask about English words for things (like boot and bonnet, nappy, dummy), and ask about the Royals, but mainly simple questions like 'have you been to a palace, how did the Queen get to be Queen, who takes over when she dies, etc'. Simple things--the older ones are old enough to have seen pics of William in the magazines. The girls didn't like that title passes to boys (if there is one) so there was a whole debate about what life would be like if their dad was king and died: is it fair that the little brother would become king when the (older) girls would be quite capable of serving as Queen. In the end they didn't like that HM has limited powers but like the idea of having palaces, horses and jewels.

The older ones ask about the geography: where is England, how big is it (the same size as Ohio or Oregon), and school (they decided they wouldn't like to go to school to mid-July, wear uniforms, but the longer Easter break sounded okay).

That sort of thing--basic level. Maybe bring in some Christmas crackers or English sweets if you've got any.

It was very amusing when we first moved here, watching my little ones talk to their cousins. They mimic each other as far as accents and different words for things.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 4:23 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

When my step daughters school teacher heard my accent she was a bit impressed. Not long after we got a note frm school asking if I would like to go into a show and tell thingy to talk about my different culture. I agreed and forgot all about it. Until now. It is tomorrow and I aint prepared a thing. I am worried that I may never recover if I get flamed by a gang of un-impressed 8 year olds.

Any thoughts?
I went in for show & tell at the school where my friend was a teaching assistant in Texas when I was 15. The pupils were quite young, about 5 if I recall. I just waffled on about a bunch of crap, showed them where England was on the map, talked about using different currency (I showed them a £ note), talked about the queen etc etc. Then I ran out of things to say (I hadn't prepared), so I asked them if they had any questions, they all did! It was quite funny really!
Old Dec 13th 2006, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Guy Fawkes night is a good one, a whole country celebrating Anti-Catholicism
Not to mention roasting someone alive. Wasn't he actually drawn and quatered? Even better.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 4:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Partystar
I went in for show & tell at the school where my friend .................................'t prepared), so I asked them if they had any questions, they all did! It was quite funny really!
Bugger the question. Can I follow around and look at your avatar all day?
Old Dec 13th 2006, 4:35 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Not to mention roasting someone alive. Wasn't he actually drawn and quatered? Even better.
Make a scale model of the Houses of Parliament and blow it up in the classroom, just to show what would have happened.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Make a scale model of the Houses of Parliament and blow it up in the classroom, just to show what would have happened.

That's it.

Sorted, there's your answer.

Violence, death and destruction - three key elements of American education.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.