British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Show and Tell (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/show-tell-413356/)

Silly Sod Dec 13th 2006 3:32 am

Show and Tell

When my step daughters school teacher heard my accent she was a bit impressed. Not long after we got a note frm school asking if I would like to go into a show and tell thingy to talk about my different culture. I agreed and forgot all about it. Until now. It is tomorrow and I aint prepared a thing. I am worried that I may never recover if I get flamed by a gang of un-impressed 8 year olds.

Any thoughts?

AmerLisa Dec 13th 2006 3:46 am

Re: Show and Tell

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
When my step daughters school teacher heard my accent she was a bit impressed. Not long after we got a note frm school asking if I would like to go into a show and tell thingy to talk about my different culture. I agreed and forgot all about it. Until now. It is tomorrow and I aint prepared a thing. I am worried that I may never recover if I get flamed by a gang of un-impressed 8 year olds.

Any thoughts?

Just keep talking.....

Rushman Dec 13th 2006 4:15 am

Any thoughts?

Tell them we have free healthcare, free dental a state pension and cops that use their brains not their guns. Then tell them that its a common misconception that we are always polite and then walk out.......whole thing done and dusted in about 15 seconds.

Rushman Dec 13th 2006 4:15 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Just keep talking.....

Typical woman.... :rolleyes:

Bob Dec 13th 2006 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Rushman
Tell them we have free healthcare, free dental a state pension and cops that use their brains not their guns. Then tell them that its a common misconception that we are always polite and then walk out.......whole thing done and dusted in about 15 seconds.

superb :D

alternatively, turn up with a crate of booze, drink self silly and follow the stereotype larger lout :D

AmerLisa Dec 13th 2006 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Bob

alternatively, turn up with a crate of booze, drink self silly and follow the stereotype larger lout :D

:D :D

Silly Sod Dec 13th 2006 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Bob

All good suggestions. And me thinking I would take in some snaps of Buck House and Big Ben.

TruBrit Dec 13th 2006 12:06 pm

Any thoughts?

lol all the best...my son poor kid went to a show and tell at a school in austin when he was just 9 yrs old, invited by my husband's nephew and said son was well embarrassed but hey you're a silly sod and a quite a few yrs older and sure you can handle it.... ;)

Elvira Dec 13th 2006 12:18 pm

All good suggestions. And me thinking I would take in some snaps of Buck House and Big Ben.

Can't you just talk about when you last had tea with The Queen?

As you probably know, they are obsessed with our Royalty.

(You HAVE had tea with Her Majesty, haven't you?)

:D

Silly Sod Dec 13th 2006 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
Can't you just talk about when you last had tea with The Queen?

As you probably know, they are obsessed with our Royalty.

(You HAVE had tea with Her Majesty, haven't you?)

:D

Of course I bally well have woman!!! What do you take me for, some kind of savage :)

Elvira Dec 13th 2006 12:42 pm

Of course I bally well have woman!!! What do you take me for, some kind of savage :)

Seriously, just talk about how life is different in the UK - the good and the bad! And show some pictures of London and other landmarks, as well as the beautiful English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish (take your pick!) countryside.

Good luck! :)

Silly Sod Dec 13th 2006 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
Seriously, just talk about how life is different in the UK - the good and the bad! And show some pictures of London and other landmarks, as well as the beautiful English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish (take your pick!) countryside.

Good luck! :)

Thanks El-V. I am actually quite looking forward to it. I am sure it will be fun and maybe one or two of them will grow up and actually go outside of the US to have a look around. Can't hurt :)

Elvira Dec 13th 2006 12:57 pm

Thanks El-V. I am actually quite looking forward to it. I am sure it will be fun and maybe one or two of them will grow up and actually go outside of the US to have a look around. Can't hurt :)

Eh............. the name is ELVIRA, if you please. (Well, it's Donna Elvira, actually, but I do not stand on ceremony ;) )

Naughty boys who try to be clever by abbreviating my beautiful name get whipped! :scared:

Hang on........ :p

gruffbrown Dec 13th 2006 12:59 pm

Take a keg, stick them in a smokey room and tell them it's an English pub. That should go down well. :D

dbark Dec 13th 2006 2:10 pm

You could talk about the different holidays, US vs. UK - like how we don't have 4th July or Thanksgiving, but we do have Guy Fawkes Night etc. Also some of the food differences, and how we use different words for things like trash/rubbish, loo/restroom, etc etc. They will also love your pronunciation of words like banana and tomato. ;)