Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should I be paying Social Security Tax &/or Medicare?

Should I be paying Social Security Tax &/or Medicare?

Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:34 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I be paying Social Security Tax &/or Medicare?

I have received a message from The Big Giant Head to post in this thread.

Tell the geniuses at BT that the turd sandwich said:

If you have questions about international Social Security agreements, call the Social Security Administration's Office of International Programs. Call (410) 965-0144 if you have questions on benefits under the agreements. For questions on the coverage rules of the agreements, call (410) 965-3549.

http://www.ssa.gov/international/Agr...phlets/uk.html

Under the agreement, if you work as an employee in the United States, you normally will be covered by the United States, and you and your employer will pay Social Security taxes only to the United States. If you work as an employee in the United Kingdom, you normally will be covered by the United Kingdom, and you and your employer pay Social Security taxes only to the United Kingdom.

On the other hand, if your employer sends you from one country to work for that employer or an affiliate in the other country for five years or less, you will continue to be covered by your home country and you will be exempt from coverage in the other country. For example, if a U.S. company sends an employee to work for that employer or an affiliate in the United Kingdom for no more than five years, the employer and the employee will continue to pay only U.S. Social Security taxes and will not have to pay in the United Kingdom.

A certificate of coverage issued by one country serves as proof of exemption from Social Security taxes on the same earnings in the other country.

To establish your exemption from coverage under the U.S. Social Security system, your employer in the United Kingdom must request a certificate of coverage (form UK/US 1) from the United Kingdom at this address:

HM Revenue & Customs
National Insurance Contributions

Centre for Non-Residents
Rooms BP 1301/BP 1302
Bamburgh House
Benton Park View
Longbenton
Newcastle upon Tyne NE98 1ZZ
ENGLAND

The following table shows whether your work is covered under the U.S. or U.K. Social Security system. If you are covered under U.S. Social Security, you and your employer (if you are an employee) must pay U.S. Social Security taxes. If you are covered under the U.K. system, you and your employer (if you are an employee) must pay U.K. Social Security taxes.
Attached Thumbnails Should I be paying Social Security Tax &/or Medicare?-download.jpeg  
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:40 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I have received a message from The Big Giant Head to post in this thread.

OOOoooh! OOOOHHHH! I know who that is!

~SG
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:43 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
OOOoooh! OOOOHHHH! I know who that is!

~SG
lol, I think he may have objected to the 'turd sandwich' characterization....
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:45 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

well, who could blame him?

Ick.

~SG
Old Sep 21st 2008, 3:41 pm
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice

Ok, well thanks for all the info, I'll do some calling around tomorrow. The screen shot helped kinda; technically I'm on a 3 year transfer to the US (parent) company from the UK entity, however, I have no ties left to the UK company; I can no longer contribute to the pension scheme, and basically I now work for the US company under the assumption that my residency will become permanent, one way or another.

I wouldn't have thought my circumstances were all that unusual, but I guess there's never a 'standard' situation when it comes to immigration and taxes!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

well it got him out of hiding for a post

And really, he needs to be working in all the SS offices I've visited in the past, then he'll be saying the same things