Reload this Page >

Moving to Florida

Moving to Florida

Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Montoya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Florida

Hi everyone,

Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong forum as it is my first time around here so please be gentle with me and try not to baffle me too much with all the abbreviations!!

Er....Right where to start.

Just come back from my Honeymoon in Orlando, and what can i say?? I loved the place! The weather was good (apart from TS Fay) the people were great, food was cheap (and you got a hell of alot of it!!), dont get me started on the price comparison of petrol!!!!!

So a bit about me, im a driver by profession, drive a UK class 2 truck or HGV C to be 100% accurate. Any Rigid wagon upto 32T MGW, what would the Florida equivelent be?
Thats about it for me skill wise (yeah i know its not alot, but like many at school i didnt pay much attention and boy do i regret it now!)

So im looking at getting a job via walt disney world international programme and im pretty much willing to do anything if they offer me the chance to move out to Florida, im also not afraid of doing hard work either, my last job i was working approx 70hours per week. If accepted on the walt disney programme would i be able to work anywhere else? Say a in a bar or restaurant on a night or would it be soley limited to walt disney?

Here in the UK I have a house and mortgage and also a few debts, as most people do, depending on how things went and if i got accepted i would be looking to rent my UK house out for a while then maybe sell it and pay the debts off (nothing too bad just creidt cards etc)

Where would be the best place to rent a home? Im guessing Orlando would have inflated prices cos of tourists?Any links to any estate agents?

Um......Think thats it really

Thanks for reading it and thanks in advance for any replies given.

Montoya
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:36 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Florida

The honeymoon is over.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
The honeymoon is over.
Thanks, well spotted...................................
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:40 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

No real nice way of putting this:

We get this question every week after somebody has a
vacation in Florida and to be quite frank your chances are zero ..

here is a list of visa that could be used ..its unlikely you could
get any of them ..
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Its hard enough for people with advanced degrees to get here
Somewhere like Canada or Aus is more likely

And believe me a vacation is nothing like living in Florida
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray

Honesty appreciated, thanks
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:50 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

here is a list of visa that could be used ..its unlikely you could
get any of them ..
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Its hard enough for people with advanced degrees to get here
Somewhere like Canada or Aus is more likely

And believe me a vacation is nothing like living in Florida

It wouldn't do him any harm at all for the guy to check it out through the programme like he wanted to do, would it.
As Disney openly offer it as a programme to foreign workers for a year, it's got to be a possibility for people to do it.
I didn't dee him say anywhere in his posting that he wanted to live here permanently.
A vacation isn't a true picture of actually living anywhere.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
It wouldn't do him any harm at all for the guy to check it out through the programme like he wanted to do, would it.
As Disney openly offer it as a programme to foreign workers for a year, it's got to be a possibility for people to do it.
I didn't dee him say anywhere in his posting that he wanted to live here permanently.
A vacation isn't a true picture of actually living anywhere.
Yere right ..course he can ...

Most hourly positions are based on a 40-hour work week, but tipped positions are generally fewer hours. Pay is Disney standard minimum, which is currently around $6.67/hr. for hourly positions, and $3.38/hr for tipped positions (as of early 2007).
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:07 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

Most hourly positions are based on a 40-hour work week, but tipped positions are generally fewer hours. Pay is Disney standard minimum, which is currently around $6.67/hr. for hourly positions, and $3.38/hr for tipped positions (as of early 2007).
But they provide free board and lodging, plus a car and free gas............ right?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

I did actually forget that bit......

I would like to live in Florida for good, but not without a so called dry run first and had a proper feel for what it was like.

If i did get accepted onto the said programme and got offered it for the following year and so forth, then yes i would love to live full time.

Guess we will have to wait and see i suppose!
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
But they provide free board and lodging, plus a car and free gas............ right?
Don't forget (cough, splutter) healthcare.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:27 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Elvira
For most people it costs them to work there ...
$266 a week does not go far

They have a forum

http://www.wdwip.com/smf/index.php

Last edited by Ray; Sep 18th 2008 at 1:31 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:32 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

Ahh, so you googled it too, eh?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:34 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't forget (cough, splutter) healthcare.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:35 pm
Ray

Ahh, so you googled it too, eh?
Its come up a few thousand times before
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray
Its come up a few thousand times before
Oh so you keep all that information ready in your head then?
I'm impressed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.