Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shopping help!

Shopping help!

Old Feb 20th 2011, 12:17 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shopping help!

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Seems like a good opportunity to put in another shameless plug for British food on Amazon.com.
ooh, I just read that you put Powell's Books out of business.
Legend killer.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 12:21 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
ooh, I just read that you put Powell's Books out of business.
Legend killer.
Yikes! I saw the news in the Portland Mercury that Powell's laid off 31 workers a week or so ago. Is this new news? Are you serious?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 12:35 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britishbees
I don't know if this will help anyone but when I went to our local Fresh n Easy hubby and I were getting very excited seeing some Brit food snuck in amongst other stuff. Such as: Heinz Tomato soup, Colman's Mustard, Devon custard, Ambrosia Rice Pudding (heaven), proper Worcestershire Sauce, HP sauce and a few other things. I found that although our Fresh n Easy is only a small one, everything is easy to find, they carry a good mix of foods and they are friendly and helpful.
Fresh and Easy are part of Tescos from what I heard. I wish they'd put one near here.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 12:45 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes! I saw the news in the Portland Mercury that Powell's laid off 31 workers a week or so ago. Is this new news? Are you serious?
Sort of: Borders files for Chapter 11.

Nothing I can see about Powell's.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 1:56 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Sort of: Borders files for Chapter 11.

Nothing I can see about Powell's.
I *may* indulge in a little salesman's hyperbole every now and again to make my point.

Or it might have been in the Oregonian.. maybe even in the comments.

But the conclusion is, brick n' mortar better get with it, if a place like Powell's can go.. well, the rest of us aren't far behind.
I see Harry & David is on the brink (for real).. what am I going to send my parents for Xmas?!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Gerber will become famous soon enough

I *may* indulge in a little salesman's hyperbole every now and again to make my point.

Or it might have been in the Oregonian.. maybe even in the comments.

But the conclusion is, brick n' mortar better get with it, if a place like Powell's can go.. well, the rest of us aren't far behind.
I see Harry & David is on the brink (for real).. what am I going to send my parents for Xmas?!
Am I correct in thinking you're located in Portland ? (I think I read it some where)

I'm from the NW and we never had a problem with good produce or food choices. However, not sure how the prices are these days.

I'm sure it all depends on where you are located and what you're used to. I've spent many years in Scotland and, with the exception of some local markets, found the produce to be lacking. In England, however, there is so much more choice. Costco in the UK has been a lifesaver for me, though.

PS-I cannot believe Powell's is going under? Really?
Old Feb 21st 2011, 1:49 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

The only crumpets TJ's has round here are the terrible fat-free ones
once you blather them in butter, 'fat-free' becomes rather irrelevant...!!!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Gerber
Am I correct in thinking you're located in Portland ? (I think I read it some where)

I'm from the NW and we never had a problem with good produce or food choices. However, not sure how the prices are these days.

I'm sure it all depends on where you are located and what you're used to. I've spent many years in Scotland and, with the exception of some local markets, found the produce to be lacking. In England, however, there is so much more choice. Costco in the UK has been a lifesaver for me, though.

PS-I cannot believe Powell's is going under? Really?
hi, yes, I'm in Portland. But no, Powell's is not going under. They are trying to figure out their continuing place in the world, like a lot of us. They've just announced layoffs of 31 positions.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 4:18 pm
Happy with my lot For now

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Essexfolks
Hi, we arrived in SE Michigan on the 4th so we're only 12 days into our new life. However I'm struggling to equate shops to what I'd know at home and supermarket shopping takes forever! Fun to look at new stuff and browse but a nightmare when you just want to run in and get something quick. Also I am finding the cost of fresh fruit and veg pretty extortionate. We don't want to eat out all the time but don't want to not eat the fresh stuff we're used to. Can anyone offer any guidlines or tips? What would a kroger or a meijers equate to for example? All information welcome.. Thankyou in advance

My last resort it to go all "good life" and grow stuff. Once the snow melts obviously lol.
Do not bother with fresh Flowers either they are a joke here!! last maybe 5 to 7 days unlike the UK were you can have them for nearly 3 week's. Grow your own flower garden as well as your cabbage patch
Old Feb 21st 2011, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anne55
Do not bother with fresh Flowers either they are a joke here!! last maybe 5 to 7 days unlike the UK were you can have them for nearly 3 week's. Grow your own flower garden as well as your cabbage patch
Haha.... Flowers , now that is a first if there ever was one !
Old Feb 21st 2011, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Oregon4now
Haha.... Flowers , now that is a first if there ever was one !
I know.. someone better alert Bill so he can edit The List.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I know.. someone better alert Bill so he can edit The List.
Flowers... added
Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:43 pm

Don't you dare....
That was just one rubbish review! New member!! East Coast!!!!
sigh, it's all over, isn't it.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 12:31 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you dare....
That was just one rubbish review! New member!! East Coast!!!!
sigh, it's all over, isn't it.
an apostrophe abuser too..
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 2:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
an apostrophe abuser too..
Exclamation mark abuser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.