Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shopping help!

Shopping help!

Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:01 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Shopping help!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Costco are really good pricewise and because they have such a high turnover their fruit/veg/meat/fish is usually fresh.

For what I pay for a container of mixed salad leaves at my local supermarket...I can get 5 times more for the same price at Costco.
Agreed. Great if you have a large family....not really worth it for us as most of (the fresh produce) would go to waste.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

samjwood will become famous soon enoughsamjwood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Shopping help!

Hi Jerseygirl

I am moving to Morristown area in NJ at end of March and shop at Costco here in UK. Do you know of any near to that area. I think we can use the same card in US.

Sam
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samjwood
Hi Jerseygirl

I am moving to Morristown area in NJ at end of March and shop at Costco here in UK. Do you know of any near to that area. I think we can use the same card in US.

Sam
I'm not far from Motown. There is one about 15 mins away from you...on Route 10 East Hanover...you can find me there most Saturday afternoons.

Give me a shout if there's anything you want to know about the area.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Agreed. Great if you have a large family....not really worth it for us as most of (the fresh produce) would go to waste.
There's only me and him now and I still buy most of my things from Costco. I freeze the meat and fish. Even if I have to throw something away because it hasn't been eaten...it still works out a cheaper.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Ha Jerseygirl

You may rue the day.....

That's fantastic about Costco, hopefully will bump into you over a coffee and the reasonably priced hotdogs (please tell me they do them there?!?!)

I buy lots of meat and fish too at the moment and freeze it, it's good quality stuff, it'll be great if I can do the same.

Do you like the areas around Morristown?

Sam
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure that any of the grocery stores here really equate to the UK stores you are familiar with. When I first moved over I was also stunned by the selections but after a while you get used to which brands work for you.
Fresh fruit and veg prices here are ridiculous, lol and you should see them in AK Luckily once summer comes around you can either grow your own or look out for farmers markets and fruit and veg stands by the road. I would buy in bulk in the summer months and freeze what I could.

Jan

oh P.S. .. Walmart sells Tetley British blend tea which isnt the real deal but is better than bigelow or twinings teas
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by samjwood
Ha Jerseygirl

You may rue the day.....

That's fantastic about Costco, hopefully will bump into you over a coffee and the reasonably priced hotdogs (please tell me they do them there?!?!)

I buy lots of meat and fish too at the moment and freeze it, it's good quality stuff, it'll be great if I can do the same.

Do you like the areas around Morristown?

Sam
Yes it's pretty nice...especially west and south/west of Motown where it's a little more rural. Some areas of Motown are the pits. I see you have a son...so you need to research schools in the area. There used to be quite a problem with drugs/gangs at Motown High School...according to the local paper.

King's supermarkets are in this area...they used to be owned by M&S. They sell British goods around Christmas and Easter. Gary's Wine Stores...Bernardsville and Madison...sell loads of Brit goodies. There is also an Irish store in Bridgewater Mall that sells Brit stuff.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 16th 2011 at 8:40 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for this.

Have sent you a pm but you've covered most of the questions.

My son is 8, so I gather he will be in grade 2, which is a shame as it seems the schools are K-2, 3-5 etc so may start in one school then have to go to a different one for grade 3 in Sept!

Sam
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
I'm not sure that any of the grocery stores here really equate to the UK stores you are familiar with. ....................
This is very true. I think the big ones in the UK make a real attempt to be comprehensive, in that they sell everything AND try to attract shoppers who need to watch their pennies, and folks who can afford to buy the very best. Thus "basics" and "taste the difference" and other gradations and choices. Here, it is either Grand Union, Walmart or whatever for hoi polloi and the various Wholefoods, local co-op supermarkets etc. for hoi oligoi -- folks who can afford $80 per pound cheese and the like. For instance, they do sell boxed mac & cheese at the upper-crust co-op in burlington, VT, but it is this brand;
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
If there is a Trader Joe's in the area - they are great for vegetables, cheese and healthy cereals. Dont know what I'd eat if it wasn't for TJ and Wholefoods! I've been told Meijers is the best in this area too.
I would go out of my mind (even more) if it weren't for Trader Joe's.

http://www.allstays.com/c/trader-joes-locations-map.htm
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:27 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

The place to go for cheap fruit and veg in Colorado is Sunflower Market. Or try any farmers' market.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:31 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I would go out of my mind (even more) if it weren't for Trader Joe's.

http://www.allstays.com/c/trader-joes-locations-map.htm
Funny isn't it... we don't have a Trader Joe's anywhere near here; so we say "if only there was somewhere like TRADER JOE'S around here ..." then, a couple of weeks ago, we spent a week in New York City. We were staying in a nice part of the Upper West Side, a few blocks from Zabars and there was a very nice gourmet supermarket even closer (can't remember what it was called.) There was a Trader Joe's there too.. it didn't excite us because there were two or three local options much better!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Funny isn't it... we don't have a Trader Joe's anywhere near here; so we say "if only there was somewhere like TRADER JOE'S around here ..." then, a couple of weeks ago, we spent a week in New York City. We were staying in a nice part of the Upper West Side, a few blocks from Zabars and there was a very nice gourmet supermarket even closer (can't remember what it was called.) There was a Trader Joe's there too.. it didn't excite us because there were two or three local options much better!
Oh sure, it's just that it's more like what I am used to. The first few weeks stumbling around the huge asceptic supermarkets not finding a single thing I wanted to cook or eat were scary.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
The place to go for cheap fruit and veg in Colorado is Sunflower Market.
I hadn't heard of that one til yesterday when the founder got locked up for being a pedo.

Do they even have stores in SE Michigan?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:20 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know, but I do know they do good lettuce and arugula/rocket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.