Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shopfitter moving to MI looking for advice

Shopfitter moving to MI looking for advice

Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

likelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nice
Default Re: Shopfitter moving to MI looking for advice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
You could always end up at Home Depot or Lowes, doing their installs for kitchen and bath remodels. (Like B&Q)
Or go out on your own and do Kitchen and bathroom remodeling, I've noticed with the new homes no longer being built in California some of our local home builders are going back to remodeling.
Maybe advertise yourself as a Cabinet maker/craftsman.
Good idea Mummy I'll look into that.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by likelylad32
Tracy

Thanks for your advise working on residential properties would not be a problem, but as usual I have to think of the $ in my pocket. Here it pays better to do commercial.

Don't worry about the shoplifter thing I get it all the time here to. I find it quite endearing.
You're welcome As far as the $, could be the same here with commercial being more. However - working for yourself generally makes more than working for someone else, and it might be easier to have your own business doing residential.

Re. the shoplifter... well, just make sure you print very very clearly on those job applications

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I noted the governmental stuff in my post. In the residential end of things -- he would be good for kitchen remodels. For a company he just might be the right person to be an on-site foreman. [I'm not going to get into the whole Union/non-Union thing].
I agree - I could see him running the show, as he knows all the skills.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 8:48 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Dgsyd1 believe it or not I work in Christchurch at the moment.
Where are you working.
Sorry to go off topic, but its always nice to talk to someone from my old neck of the woods.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Folsinsky:

Thanks for you advise I'll use it wisely. Still not sure either about the Union thing, I can see the good and bad to it. I suppose I'd have to become a member if it is required by an employer I wish to work for, but that's another dilemma for another thread. LOL.

While for private work you most likely will not have to be a member of the carpenters union but if you wish to work on commercial projects, you will have to be a member. Do a google search for carpenters union in Detroit.

Nephew joined the CU in Florida and had to pass a hands on test to be accepted. Here in the NYC area, you need to be sponsored by another union member. Check out the requirements in Detroit.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

likelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
Where are you working.
Sorry to go off topic, but its always nice to talk to someone from my old neck of the woods.
This Christmas gone I renovated the old Barclays storage unit on Airfield way and converted it into a factory for Whittle Shopfitting (fromerly in Southbourne). They now go under the name Interserve. This is where I now work.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:27 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe someone's already suggested this but to help illustrate your skills and trade, you should have a portfolio of pictures of work you've done. This will make it for easier for anyone to understand what a "shopfitter" does and maybe an American will be able to give you the nearest equivalent job title or pointers to where you can apply your skills.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

To help in your job search, it may help to think that Americans think a 'shop" is a 'work shop'. (That is, my hubby fixes his tractors in a shop).

To better describe your skills, perhaps you could let people know you can do 'store interior installation and remodeling'?
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck with your move to MI. We left MI 9 months ago but still keep in contact with friends. Things are *really* bad up there. Many of my friends husbands have had to move out of state to work but the families can't go with them because they can't sell their houses.....things can only get better! and it could be worse..you could be in automotive!!
Old Sep 15th 2008, 12:05 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

This Christmas gone I renovated the old Barclays storage unit on Airfield way and converted it into a factory for Whittle Shopfitting (fromerly in Southbourne). They now go under the name Interserve. This is where I now work.
I used to do a paper round in Airfield Way. I grew up in Somerford.

Small world.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like the work you are doing is similar to what a contractor does in the US. In most states if you work as a contractor, you must be licensed by the state.

Different states have different rules that distinguish a contractor from a handyman. A handyman can do much the same work as a contractor but usually isn't licensed but may be limited in what he can do and the size of the project.

All states have different laws for an unlicensed contractor (handyman) but the following may be some examples.
  • Job size/cost may be limited but may possibly not be limited if the homeowner pays the handyman on an hourly basis (not on a contract basis).
  • A handyman may not be able to perform work for businesses.
  • Usually a handyman works alone where as a contractor has a team.
  • Certain parts of a job may not be performed (eg. electrical) without the appropriate license.

Last edited by Michael; Sep 15th 2008 at 12:49 am.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Mid-West Michigan. The economy is not great here right now and the job front is not the best either. Good Luck with your move.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I'm Andy and I just joined this site. I'm moving from Bournemouth to the States as soon as my house sells (or may have to rent it). I already have my visa, I'm married to a U.S. citizen, and have to activate it by the beginning of January.

I'm moving to the suburbs of Detroit, Bloomfield is where my wife is from. I'm a little concerned as no one knows what a shopfitter is in the U.S. and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. Some people have told me to look for cabinet maker or fine finish carpenter jobs, but I'm not sure if this is correct. Any thoughts?

I have been searching online for jobs and am trying to determine what salary I may make. Am I crazy to move to Michigan, considering their current economy? lol.

Any advice would be appreciated. Are there many forum members living in Michigan?

Thanks,

Andy
Can't really help you mate .............. Now if you had said "SHOPLIFTER" that would be a different story You can well survive around Detroit with that pastime
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:35 pm
Time Lord

Or how about opening a crack house. It's one of the few growth industries in Detroit. The hours aren't that great though.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:45 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

You should read some more about the US Trades Unions, too - they work in a very different way to the UK TUs.

I was just in MI and the (purely anecdotal) general feeling is that things are pretty bad. In particular, there were quite a few stalled construction projects around near where I was - both residential subdivisions and some shopping centers too. This was in Macomb County, which is close to Detroit but is pretty middle class/comfortable (afaics).
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought...a lot of people who live near Detroit or Port Huron where there are crossings to Canada commute over to work every day...maybe worth looking into jobs in Windsor or Sarnia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.