Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shopfitter moving to MI looking for advice

Shopfitter moving to MI looking for advice

Old Sep 14th 2008, 6:16 am
Just Joined

likelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nice
Question Shopfitter moving to MI looking for advice

Hi,

I'm Andy and I just joined this site. I'm moving from Bournemouth to the States as soon as my house sells (or may have to rent it). I already have my visa, I'm married to a U.S. citizen, and have to activate it by the beginning of January.

I'm moving to the suburbs of Detroit, Bloomfield is where my wife is from. I'm a little concerned as no one knows what a shopfitter is in the U.S. and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. Some people have told me to look for cabinet maker or fine finish carpenter jobs, but I'm not sure if this is correct. Any thoughts?

I have been searching online for jobs and am trying to determine what salary I may make. Am I crazy to move to Michigan, considering their current economy? lol.

Any advice would be appreciated. Are there many forum members living in Michigan?

Thanks,

Andy
Old Sep 14th 2008, 6:30 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shopfitter moving to MI looking for advice

Originally Posted by likelylad32
Are there many forum members living in Michigan?

Thanks,

Andy
I actually moved from Christchurch to Michigan, and live in Lansing, just an hour or so up I-96. The Michigan economy is pretty poor at the moment, but if you're qualified in a particular trade, then you might be OK.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I'm Andy and I just joined this site. I'm moving from Bournemouth to the States as soon as my house sells (or may have to rent it). I already have my visa, I'm married to a U.S. citizen, and have to activate it by the beginning of January.

I'm moving to the suburbs of Detroit, Bloomfield is where my wife is from. I'm a little concerned as no one knows what a shopfitter is in the U.S. and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. Some people have told me to look for cabinet maker or fine finish carpenter jobs, but I'm not sure if this is correct. Any thoughts?

I have been searching online for jobs and am trying to determine what salary I may make. Am I crazy to move to Michigan, considering their current economy? lol.

Any advice would be appreciated. Are there many forum members living in Michigan?

Thanks,

Andy
I'm another yank that doesn't know what it is. If you can describe it, I might know the equivalent...

Detroit. Hmm.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE... Sorry I read it a 'shoplifter' coming to the US, Sorry, old habits !
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Welcome to BE... Sorry I read it a 'shoplifter' coming to the US, Sorry, old habits !
LOL I read it the same at first
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Soundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really nice

Phew! - Glad I wasn't the only one wondering why a shoplifter would be pre-warning people.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:31 am
Just Joined

likelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nicelikelylad32 is just really nice

Well Tracym there is no straight forward description other than a shopfitter is carpentry based but skilled in interior shop refits and remodles not roofing.
We are trained in cabinet making. We are also skilled in basic plumbing, electrics, drywall, tiling and plastering.
The idea is that we can take an empty shell of a shop and transform it into anything the customers require, ie. Bar, Restaurant, Bowling Alley or retail shop.
I am also skilled in solidsurface works, most commonly known as Corian, Surell and Wilsonart to name but a few.

I hope now you understand my dilemma and your input would be most welcome.

Dgsyd1 believe it or not I work in Christchurch at the moment.

For all those that thought I was a "Shoplifter" LOL that's an oldie but still a goodie.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I read shoplifter too!!

Sorry I can't help the OP. I have no idea what a shopfitter is.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:36 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks,

Andy
Andy:

This is an interesting question. My maternal grandfather was a finish carpenter/furniture/cabinet maker in Europe. When he came to the US in the 1920's he became a framing carpenter. At the end of World War II, his son-in-law [aka "Dad"] became his apprentice. As such I've had much in the way of informal carpentry training.

The term "shopfitter" does not exist in the United States. I think this is something you have found out. But I looked it up for the UK and I see it is a descriptive name! I can see that is a combination of various carpentry skills -- you could be a finish carpenter, also a cabinet maker. I see the possiblity of skills that are outside of traditional carpentry that are performed by other trades in the US.

We happen to use an Irish carpenter from time to time, who "moonlights" a fair bit. We got to know him when my spouse worked in a large hospital facility operated by Los Angeles County -- his work responsibilites struck me as exactly the type of thing you talk about. He has had steady employment with the LA County Hospital System with a sojourn working for the Los Angeles Unified School District. He has not been in initial construction and shopfitting, but in outfitting or remodel of existing space.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well Tracym there is no straight forward description other than a shopfitter is carpentry based but skilled in interior shop refits and remodles not roofing.
We are trained in cabinet making. We are also skilled in basic plumbing, electrics, drywall, tiling and plastering.
The idea is that we can take an empty shell of a shop and transform it into anything the customers require, ie. Bar, Restaurant, Bowling Alley or retail shop.
I am also skilled in solidsurface works, most commonly known as Corian, Surell and Wilsonart to name but a few.

I hope now you understand my dilemma and your input would be most welcome.

Dgsyd1 believe it or not I work in Christchurch at the moment.

For all those that thought I was a "Shoplifter" LOL that's an oldie but still a goodie.
Hmm sounds like what I'd hire a contractor to do - basically make the whole room. You're talking commercial though it appears.

Although I think more often we have a contractor who "runs the show" - and then hires individuals for the separate tasks.

My personal guess is that you'd work for someone who does remodeling in general for a while, perhaps just using one or two of your skills at a time - but then after a while here you'd be in great shape to go into business for yourself.

I know a lot of homeowners who would be ecstatic to find such a person such as yourself (although I don't know if you have any interest in non-commercial stuff). But a "handyman" who can do all of the above would be greatly in demand imo.

Sorry about the shoplifting thing - I wasn't making a joke myself, I really read it that way for a second. LOL.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tracym
Hmm sounds like what I'd hire a contractor to do - basically make the whole room. You're talking commercial though it appears.

Although I think more often we have a contractor who "runs the show" - and then hires individuals for the separate tasks.

My personal guess is that you'd work for someone who does remodeling in general for a while, perhaps just using one or two of your skills at a time - but then after a while here you'd be in great shape to go into business for yourself.

I know a lot of homeowners who would be ecstatic to find such a person such as yourself (although I don't know if you have any interest in non-commercial stuff). But a "handyman" who can do all of the above would be greatly in demand imo.

Sorry about the shoplifting thing - I wasn't making a joke myself, I really read it that way for a second. LOL.
Tracy

Thanks for your advise working on residential properties would not be a problem, but as usual I have to think of the $ in my pocket. Here it pays better to do commercial.

Don't worry about the shoplifter thing I get it all the time here to. I find it quite endearing.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tracym

Hi:

I noted the governmental stuff in my post. In the residential end of things -- he would be good for kitchen remodels. For a company he just might be the right person to be an on-site foreman. [I'm not going to get into the whole Union/non-Union thing].
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:55 am
Account Closed

Thanks for your advise working on residential properties would not be a problem, but as usual I have to think of the $ in my pocket. Here it pays better to do commercial.
Hi:

In economic downturns, the market for home improvement can actually improve.

I know that my Dad often had economic ups and downs. However, when I was 19, I was rear ended while driving home. In talking to the other guys insurance adjuster, Dad found out that there was a steady demand for insurance repair work ["no matter what the economy, people have kitchen fires"] and he started getting referrals from that adjuster and soon he was on referral lists of various insurance companies. At first, Dad was able to perform a lot of work himself or my brother and I were non-union and available on weekends and evenings while attending school. The business grew and sustained Dad for 25 years. He is now retired but still does consulting work for the insurance companies by doing inspections to determine what a reasonable bid it.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:56 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

You could always end up at Home Depot or Lowes, doing their installs for kitchen and bath remodels. (Like B&Q)
Or go out on your own and do Kitchen and bathroom remodeling, I've noticed with the new homes no longer being built in California some of our local home builders are going back to remodeling.
Maybe advertise yourself as a Cabinet maker/craftsman.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I noted the governmental stuff in my post. In the residential end of things -- he would be good for kitchen remodels. For a company he just might be the right person to be an on-site foreman. [I'm not going to get into the whole Union/non-Union thing].
Hi Folsinsky:

Thanks for you advise I'll use it wisely. Still not sure either about the Union thing, I can see the good and bad to it. I suppose I'd have to become a member if it is required by an employer I wish to work for, but that's another dilemma for another thread. LOL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.